Support Susan's Place!

Help support the operations of this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Forums account required). You can also view the donor wall of fame!

For more information about all of this, read this post.

Author Topic: Anyone know how long unopened mascara lasts?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Elsa.G

• Friend
Anyone know how long unopened mascara lasts?
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »
I went to Dollar Tree today and i went to look at some of the make up they have there. Usually i dont buy much make up from DT as most of it is LA Colors and im not much of a fan of their stuff except for their lipstick and glosses. Well anyway my local DT had some pretty good brands of make up,  i found some mascaras from Almay and Loreal which normally cost upwards of 7 to 10 dollars at places like Walmart. I love the Almay mascara its wonderful and since they were all only a dollar i proceeded to buy 1 of each color, black, blackest black and brown. I also bought a tube of the Loreal brand which is also great. Anyway i looked at the back of the packaging and saw that they were made in 2010, i heard that opened mascara must be tossed after 3 to 4 months of use and since i only use 1 mascara at a time im wondering what the shelf life of a unopened tube is? i looked online but with no clear answer. Does anyone know how long a unopened package of mascara can last? im guessing i have enough tubes of mascara for about a year. Any answer is appreciated.

Mahsa Tezani

Re: Anyone know how long unopened mascara lasts?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »
I went to Dollar Tree today and i went to look at some of the make up they have there. Usually i dont buy much make up from DT as most of it is LA Colors and im not much of a fan of their stuff except for their lipstick and glosses. Well anyway my local DT had some pretty good brands of make up,  i found some mascaras from Almay and Loreal which normally cost upwards of 7 to 10 dollars at places like Walmart. I love the Almay mascara its wonderful and since they were all only a dollar i proceeded to buy 1 of each color, black, blackest black and brown. I also bought a tube of the Loreal brand which is also great. Anyway i looked at the back of the packaging and saw that they were made in 2010, i heard that opened mascara must be tossed after 3 to 4 months of use and since i only use 1 mascara at a time im wondering what the shelf life of a unopened tube is? i looked online but with no clear answer. Does anyone know how long a unopened package of mascara can last? im guessing i have enough tubes of mascara for about a year. Any answer is appreciated.

About 2 months. But the makeup sounds chinsy. For 4 bucks, you could have at least got Cover girl or maybelline. Mascara and eyeliner are not things you skim on.

Offline Elsa.G

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:47:49 pm »
normally i dont skim on mascara, but lately ive been on a pretty tight budget and usually i dont have much money left to buy make up. They are good mascaras by the way, id say as good as pricier covergirl or maybelline ones. Anyway are u referring to opened tubes of mascara? because ive only opened one tube but the others will remain in the package until they are needed, i was referring to unopened packages

Offline Miniar

• T since Dec. 17. 2009
  • The Tallest!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:48:54 pm »
Unopened, properly sealed, tubes wrapped have a shelf life of "up to" 2 years, at the very most.
Wouldn't keep 'em more than 1 year never the less.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche

Wonder woman

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:16:21 pm »
Look at the date/time stamp on it

Offline Elsa

• Family
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:42 am »
Bump - Found this useful while ordering some stuff on sale: http://www.megsmakeup.com/2009/08/25/here-truth-makeup-expiration

Sometimes when life is a fight - we just have to fight back and say screw you - I want to live.

Sometimes we just need to believe.

Offline JennX

• Princess of the Universe
  • Family
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:52 pm »
I had one sitting in my drawer for at least 6 months (still new in the packing unopened) and I used it today and it was fine. Not dried up, which usually happens. So if it's not opened/new and not dried out... at least 1 year I'd go with. Once you open them though, I toss them every 3 months or sooner, as they are used so close to the eye... can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
"If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."
-Dolly Parton

Tags: