Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Recent posts

Education news / School board reverses decision...
Last post by Jessica_Rose - Today at 07:57:46 AM
School board reverses decision to cancel gay author's talk after community complaints

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/school-board-reverses-decision-to-cancel-gay-author-s-talk-after-community-complaints/ar-AA1nEiVQ?ocid=windirect&cvid=61c9420d806744b9ac9c747b760ba3ce&ei=14

Story by Daniel Villarreal (25 April 2024)

After widespread disapproval, a Pennsylvania school board has reversed its decision to cancel gay actor Maulik Pancholy's anti-bullying speech at a middle school. Board members initially canceled the speech over worries that he'd "impose" his "activism" and "lifestyle" onto students, but it's unclear if Pancholy will re-accept the school's invitation to speak.

On Wednesday night, community members packed a high school auditorium and criticized the board for several hours over its April 15 decision to cancel the talk. The board ultimately voted 5-to-4 to reinstate the invitation, The New York Times reported.

Pauncholy, an Indian-American actor who performed on the comedy TV series 30 Rock and in the children's cartoon series Phineas and Ferb, has authored children's books about gay characters and allies who stand up to bullying and discrimination. He was scheduled to give a talk to Mountain View Middle School in Mechanicsburg.

"While the issue of 'political activism' was cited, statements made publicly by individual board members identified Mr. Pancholy's sexual identity as a factor, an identity shared by many members of our school community," the letter continued. "In doing so, Mr. Pancholy's personhood was reduced to a single aspect, and his ability to communicate a message of anti-bullying and hate was discredited."

Fun and Games / Re: Two Word Association Game ...
Last post by Jessica_Rose - Today at 07:52:34 AM
Since   cents
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 07:49:07 AM
Sects sex
Cooking / Do you like to eat a pasty?
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 07:48:09 AM
Do you like to eat a pasty?  ("Pass tee")

Apparently from Cornell, England it is big in northern Wisconsin and the Upper peninsula of Michigan (yes, there is a lower peninsula of Michigan), and Australia.

The pasty is in the way similar to a big empanada, almost with a stew inside.  Meat, carrots, onions, potatoes are some ingredients. 

Hormone replacement therapy / Re: Patches
Last post by KathyLauren - Today at 07:25:42 AM
Quote from: imallie on April 23, 2024, 08:26:38 PMHey all - a patches question for you.

My endo just upped my dose to 0.15/week... which means a 0.1 patch and a 0.05 patch.

This will be the first time I've worn multiple patches. Is there any particular strategy to maximize efficacy? Or is it just the same as with one — meaning just put them in the same places I normally put my one, and it's fine if I put two in the same area, or one on each side of my body, etc - that doesn't matter?

Just curious how those who have done this have played this in the past.

Thanks!
Allie

I wear two patches, changed every 3.5 days.  I don't notice peaks or troughs.

I change the location on my belly every time I stick on a new pair.  With the old Sandoz generic patches, which were enormous, there was only room for three sites.  So each site got only a 7 day break.  The combination of that plus the caustic adhesive caused severe, painful rashes.

Now I use Estradot patches, which are much smaller and have a more benign adhesive.  There is room on my belly for eight different locations, meaning that I can go a whole month before re-using the same piece of skin.  No more rashes.

The adhesive residue from the old generic patches was water-soluble (which is whey they didn't stick well in the shower), and washed of easily with soap and water.  The Estradot patches use an oil-soluble adhesive, which doesn't wash off easily.  A little bit of bath oil on a makeup pad takes the residue off in a minute or two.  I don't know what brand you use or what adhesive it uses.  But if soap and water don't remove the residue, try oil.
Member Blogs / Re: Davina's diary
Last post by imallie - Today at 06:32:30 AM
Interesting! I do have a AF cookbook, but I haven't gotten around to flipping through it yet. Now you've motivated me to do so! I will go look at the baking recipes and maybe check one out. I'm curious now!
People news / Teen charged in mass shooting ...
Last post by Jessica_Rose - Today at 06:15:24 AM
Teen charged in mass shooting at LGBTQ+ friendly punk rock show in Minneapolis

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/teen-charged-in-mass-shooting-at-lgbtq-friendly-punk-rock-show-in-minneapolis/ar-AA1nAmZK?ocid=windirect&cvid=d889a28d647c474b850e55eb725ce131&ei=3

The Associated Press (24 April 2024)

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A teenage suspect who allegedly made derogatory remarks about LGBTQ+ people before opening fire at a backyard punk rock show faces seven felony charges for a shooting that killed one person and injured six others in Minneapolis.

The document charging Dominic James Burris and another man says the shooting was motivated by bias against the victims' gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.

"Witnesses identified the gathering as a LGBTQ+ friendly community and the victims included people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer," charges say. "Witnesses identified the shooters as two males who were not part of the community, but who had come to the concert and interacted with multiple people in the minutes before the shooting."

Musician and songwriter Nicholas Trevor Golden, who also went by August Golden, died from a gunshot wound to the chest. Golden, 35, played in the punk band Scrounger and was deeply involved in the punk scene in Minneapolis and other cities.

"This shooting at what should have been a joyous event rocked our LGBTQIA+ community and increased fear among a community that is too often already under attack," Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said at a news conference.
Forced outing policies increase risks of major depression in LGBTQ+ youth

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/forced-outing-policies-increase-risks-of-major-depression-in-lgbtq-youth/ar-AA1nBG4l?ocid=windirect&cvid=7af0832170c74051927791f0c1b1ca26&ei=38

Story by Molly Sprayregen (24 April 2024)

States and school boards continue to debate and pass policies requiring school administrators to out LGBTQ+ students to their parents, and new research shows why doing so is a bad idea.

A study from the University of Connecticut found that a third of youth who were forcibly outed had a greater likelihood of experiencing major depression as well as low family support. Additionally, more than 65% of youth said being forcibly outed was "highly stressful."

Trans youth reported feeling the most amount of stress compared to cisgender gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth. The study also found that kids with parents who were well-educated in LGBTQ+ issues experienced less stress even after being forcibly outed.

"I think parents and caregivers who are very supportive should make that known," McCauley said. "And I think once they make their support known that kid will pick up on that... that can really make the disclosure process much easier for a lot of kids."

"Students do in fact have a constitutional right to privacy," said ACLU spokesperson Gillian Branstetter in the wake of the new study. "It's not about subverting the parents' will. It's about protecting the young people who face very real, very great risks."

Last post by Jessica_Rose - Today at 05:58:52 AM
Sense   scents
Cooking / Re: What are you having for di...
Last post by ChrissyRyan - Today at 05:04:48 AM
Wednesday I ate kielbasa.

Chrissy