Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: LoriDee on Today at 03:53:15 PMI should add that if you see any yellow metal-looking rocks, you can send them to me and I will pay the postage.  ;D

@LoriDee

Dear LoriDee:
I imagine that they would be heavier than normal rocks
especially if they are solid yellow... but you would know best.

The postage could be expensive!!!!

HUGS, Danielle
Member Blogs / Re: Sarah B's Story
Last post by imallie - Today at 05:06:45 PM
Sounds like a really special day, Sarah.

I read about it a bit.  The Ode of Remembrance is quite lovely:

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. We will remember them."

Legal Matters / Re: Who can and can't see my d...
Last post by Jessica_K - Today at 04:46:50 PM
I obviously cannot answer the question but like Devlyn I did a simple online search of my deadname. And it appears to be nearly non existent, I found just one from 22 years ago that gave my address as a company director at a house I have not lived in for 20 years. That's it.
Member Blogs / Re: Sarah B's Story
Last post by Sarah B - Today at 03:57:31 PM
Hi Everyone

Today is the 25 of April (25/04/2024) and here in Australia, is a national public holiday, where everything is basically shut down, except the few places, usually gas stations that are open.  Is ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) day).

Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served" [1]

I have watched many ANZAC parades that take place along George Street, when I lived in Sydney.  Over the years the parade has got bigger and more elaborate.

There are three things, that make the ANZAC notable are:

One the commemoration ceremonies that take place around the country, even the smallest town does not let this day go by.

Two the famous ANZAC biscuit:

QuoteThe Anzac biscuit is a sweet biscuit, popular in Australia and New Zealand, made using rolled oats, flour, sugar, butter (or margarine), golden syrup, baking soda, boiling water, and (optionally) desiccated coconut.  Anzac biscuits have long been associated with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) established in World War I.

It is thought that these biscuits were sent by wives and women's groups to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation.[2]

Finally the third is a game called Two Up:

QuoteTwo-up is a traditional Australian gambling game, involving a designated "spinner" throwing two coins, usually Australian pennies, into the air. Players bet on whether the coins will both fall with heads (obverse) up, both with tails (reverse) up, or with a head and one a tail (known as "Ewan"). The game is traditionally played in pubs and clubs throughout Australia on Anzac Day, in part to mark a shared experience with diggers (soldiers).[3]

So ANZAC is the one day where all Australians, stop and reflect, pay their respects to the men, women that have died and served in the armed forces.

I thank them from the bottom of my heart for their service.

Love and Hugs
Sarah B
Official Greeter
[1] Wikipedia
[2] ANZAC biscuit
[3] Two Up
Member Blogs / Re: Danielle's Continuing Life...
Last post by LoriDee - Today at 03:53:15 PM
I should add that if you see any yellow metal-looking rocks, you can send them to me and I will pay the postage.  ;D
Legendary WNBA Star Demands NCAA Protect Transgender Athletes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/legendary-wnba-star-demands-ncaa-protect-transgender-athletes/ar-AA1nBn3L?ocid=windirect&cvid=65c41e37be3d46b79733e90a43dfe3c6&ei=15

Story by Matt Hladik (24 April 2024)

WNBA legend Sue Bird is one of more than 400 current and former athletes who signed an open letter sent to the NCAA on Tuesday advocating for the protection of transgender athletes.

Four other WNBA players--Layshia Clarendon, Cheryl Reeve, Natalia Achonwa and Brianna Turner--also signed the letter, as did current and former USWNT members Becky Sauerbrunn, Tierna Davidson, Samantha Mewis, Joanna Lohman, Lynn Williams and Sam Coffey.

"We, the undersigned, call upon the NCAA, a governing body meant to serve athletes and our wellbeing, to ensure that the lifesaving power of sport is accessible to all athletes who compete in championship and emerging sports at and for NCAA-member institutions – including transgender athletes," the letter reads. "To deny transgender athletes the fundamental right to be who they are, to access the sport they love, and to receive the proven mental and physical health benefits of sport goes against the very principles of the NCAA's Constitution.

"By barring transgender athletes, you would be severely limiting the capacity of your member institutions to protect and support their athletes. Moreover, you would be actively disparaging transgender athletes – the same athletes you chose to protect when you agreed to serve on the Board of Governors."
Legal Matters / Re: Who can and can't see my d...
Last post by Devlyn - Today at 03:07:35 PM
Welcome to Susan's Place, Jack!

You got me thinking, so I googled my old name, which I changed in 2016. There are plenty of traces of me left on the internet. Nothing connecting me to my name change order, though.

See you around the site!

Hugs, Devlyn
This trans teen delivered a powerful speech in the state senate & helped defeat an anti-trans bill

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/this-trans-teen-delivered-a-powerful-speech-in-the-state-senate-helped-defeat-an-anti-trans-bill/ar-AA1nBgYr?ocid=windirect&cvid=639092635597462ebe42c1a2f2bc0e7d&ei=11

Story by Mira Lazine (24 April 2024)

During a hearing yesterday regarding trans sports ban bill S.B. 375, transgender teenager Maëlle Jacques delivered a powerful speech that appealed to the humanity of transgender teens, highlighting the harm bills like this do to the transgender community.

"Joining the male teams wouldn't even be a choice for me with the bullying and threats I'd receive, let alone the mental anguish I'd go through being forced to be someone I'm not," said Jacques.

"When I began my transition in the sixth grade, my school welcomed me onto the girls' team," she said. "This act of being able to be a part of the teams I belong to allowed me to skip through the phase of social ostracization as the other girls accepted me for who I was and welcomed me."

"I didn't join sports with the goal of dominating competition or being better than anyone else. No one would go through the bullying and self-hatred of transition purely to win a sport... I joined because it's something I'm passionate about and enjoy."

"The only problems I've received are from outside parties, like media sources and whatnot. I've never received anything negative from other teams and coaches and players."

S.B. 375 was killed in the House Education Committee in a 19-1 vote.

Member Blogs / Re: Danielle's Continuing Life...
Last post by EllenW - Today at 01:35:22 PM
Quote from: Northern Star Girl on Today at 12:20:25 PMNome is not connected by roads and the
only way there is by Air or by Sea..

You forgot "dog sledding" as a way to get to Nome  :icon_evil_laugh:

Ellen
Member Blogs / Re: Davina's diary
Last post by davina61 - Today at 01:15:41 PM
Managed to fix the wipers, was a faff to get at and aching from doing it now (age and HRT!) Gave D a hand to tow a stranded van in from the road outside so he could fit a new starter, another faff!!
 Thursday food shop again, have to think careful about what to get.