Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The South Park Transsexual episode

Started by Brianna, February 08, 2007, 10:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brianna

It's not rare to see a television show get details of transsexualism very wrong. Sex and the City did it. Daytime television regularly does it. But the South Park transsexual episode that was on today was hands down the worst representation of our issues I have ever seen.

It's one thing to be ignorant. It's another to be intolerant. But to be actually hostile, dismissive and pejorative about a well established medical condition is just very wrong to me.

There is a lot about transition that can be laughed at - even with an edge. But to actively dismissive of the legitimacy of this just feeds a popular and ignorant sterotype. Shows like this are not without consequence to people's lives.

Brilala
  •  

Cindi Jones

Is this theh one where the kid's dad wanted to be a dolphin, so he had surgery to become one?  And the little kid was made into an NBA basketball player that couldn't play because his knees wouldn't work?

Those guys attack everyone.  I figure if they are attacking us, they've hit the bottom of the barrel and looking for new material.  Most of their material is disgusting at best.  Fortunately, right wing conservatives don't look to South Park for inspiration, they've been fried up and served over and over on the series.

My opinion remains "consider the source".

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Debbie_Anne

When that particular South Park first aired, I came pretty close to tears...I had yet to tell my family that I was ts, and my brother is a big South Park fan, which had me thinking "Oh, great, now this will be his image of transsexuals when I finally tell him?"  (Fortunately, it wasn't, although he hasn't exactly been supportive of me...we don't actually talk anymore.  Don't get me wrong, he is my brother, and of course I love him.  We are just far too different people to really get along.  Perhaps some day in the future we may start talking again, but for now, I'll go my way and he can go his.)
  •  

tinkerbell

South Park?  Oh yes, I remember putting  South Park where it belonged, in a dumpster with all the garbage I have tossed during my life...

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

kristin318

I am sorry but South Park is perhaps the best show on television. Matt Stone's and Trey Parker's commentary through the show is usually spot on especially when it comes to stupid fads (World of Warcraft and Guitar Hero) and politics. I actually find the episode when Mr. Garrison goes through gender reassignment to be pretty hilarious. Sometimes people just need to lighten up a bit and not take life so seriously.
  •  

Audrey

I second that kristin.  South Park offends everyone they poke fun at about every issue you can think of.  I think you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Audrey
  •  

RebeccaFog

South Park is hit and miss.  I figure that bumheads who get their information from it can't be educated for real anyway.   

Smart people can watch it and laugh or curse.  Dopes can watch it and think they are smarter for having done so.

I'm offended by it, but I don't care they did it.  I'm beginning to think the writers aren't really too smart.  Sometimes clever, but not very smart.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

South Park can be hilarious. I remember thinking "this is really funny, I wonder how I will feel when they attack me in the show?" It didn't matter, they are equal opportunity humorists. I haven't watched South Park in years and years, but you just have to know where that kind of thing fits into your life.
  •  

christene

When I first saw the episode, I felt a bit offended. Then I remembered, why should I be upset with this episode when I have laughed with so many in the past at the expense of others in different episodes? Of course we know Mr(s). Garrison is not the greatest representation of the TS community so why bother with it? They give EVERYONE a hassle about everything in this world, and other worlds for that matter....just their style....it was due to happen eventually....I'm over it, and still get a kick out of the show...Beside I need a sense of humor to get through this crazy world.

Christine
  •  

Laura91

It is my opinion that south park sucks. I watched it at one time but it got old once the quality of the show went down. As far as the episode with Garrison's sex change goes I saw it as a very bland episode regardless of the topic. I certainly wasn't offended by it because come on, its a stupid TV show, man. Its not like its a documentary or something.  Anyone who would watch that show to be "educated"  ::) on any subject is obviously a fool.
  •  

tekla

Though perhaps lacking the awesomeness of the episode where Cartman fakes Tourette syndrome, or the one about San Francisco and its layer of Smug - it wasn't bad.  If you don't like it, turn it off, watch something else or just go outside and play.  Its a cartoon, one that pretty much makes fun of everyone.  Isn't there enough going on in reality that a cartoon is that important?
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

RebeccaFog

If they can't make me interested within 5 minutes or less, it's turned off.
  •  

lady amarant

South Park ended for me waaaaay back when Mr. Stinky got introduced as a major character.

I was always more of a Simpsons gal anyway.
  •  

Jordan

There have been two episodes regarding Mrs Garrison directly, To be honest they take light of everyone in life including themselves, you may find it offensive but it was meant that way...

Also Mrs Garrison is a main charecter which to me is rather flattering.. makes me think about the writers and what goes through there head.
  •  

SarahFaceDoom

I like South Park when I watch it.  It's generally one of the better written shows on television.  Really good satire.  And I agree, with a show like that you can't all of a sudden get upset when your group gets attacked.  They go after everybody.  That's how comedy works.  Particularly satire.
  •  

tinkerbell

•  

Cindi Jones

I miss her too Tink.....

... and for that matter.....

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

kristin318

Quote from: lady amarant on February 12, 2008, 04:03:54 PM
South Park ended for me waaaaay back when Mr. Stinky got introduced as a major character.

I was always more of a Simpsons gal anyway.

don't get me started on the simpsons. According to me the simpsons died about 8 seasons ago when Conan O'Brien quit as a writer. Ever since then the simpsons have never been the same.
  •  

joannatsf

Quote from: tekla on February 12, 2008, 02:38:51 PM
Though perhaps lacking the awesomeness of the episode where Cartman fakes Tourette syndrome, or the one about San Francisco and its layer of Smug - it wasn't bad.  If you don't like it, turn it off, watch something else or just go outside and play.  Its a cartoon, one that pretty much makes fun of everyone.  Isn't there enough going on in reality that a cartoon is that important?

I loved the San Francisco Smug episode!  There was a bit of truth in it or it wouldn't have worked.  I haven't seen the transsexual episode but I really want to now.  Ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself once in awhile.  The writers step on everyone's toes so why would our nicely painted ones be any different?
  •  

daisybelle

The Fab Five from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy were alien Crab People..... turned all men into metro-sexuals

The show was a hoot.   Not to be taken seriously, but as a TG it was hilarious.  All the men were at first complimented for taking tie to look better.... but eventually they were spending more time in front of the mirror than their wives.

ROFLMAO!!!

Anyway not to be taken seriously, just what happens when you push a stereotype to the extreme.   I particularly enjoyed the World of Warcraft episode.

Daisy
  •