Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Misconceptions about Phalloplasty

Started by MrReborn, April 10, 2012, 10:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrReborn

So sometimes when people look into phalloplasty, whether it be here on this website or somewhere else, their seem to be a lot of common misconceptions. Now it's nobody's fault really, it comes from outdated information that's still on the web and it spreads because people are still going by this outdated information.

So I'd like to clear up what I think are the most common misconceptions about phalloplaty:

1.  Phalloplastys have no feeling.

ERRRNT WRONG! No, this is a total misconception. Phalloplastys do have feeling but it was much more common WAY BACK WHEN for them not too. That is no longer a typical thing, although it's still a risk as in with every surgery. It is quite COMMON for a phalloplasty to result in a penis that reacts to cold, heat and touch with the ability to orgasm.

2. Ok Ok, but it doesn't have erotic sensation right?

Okay, when you have a phalloplasty you retain your erotic sensation. Meaning you experience orgasm the same way you do now- through your biological clitoris, this is the same when having a meta. However the phallus itself doesn't have erotic sensation, so you have two options. Some surgeons don't give you a choice but most do- you can either have your biological clitoris buried at the base of your new penis so that when your new penis is stimulated it stimulates your neopenis (clitoris) that's buried at its base. or you can decide to keep your clitoris untouched and located underneath your new phallus. Either way you will maintain orgasmic ability.

Side Note:
         -Their is this funny little idea floating around in cyber space that their is a high risk of you losing sensation after phalloplasty. Although possible as I said before this is no longer common practice. Although it may take a year or two for all the sensation to come back (Not unlike FTM top surgery).
        -A lot of people think erotic sensation is loss after a phallo, normally it stays the same. However a funny but true side note is thier have been a few reports of guys gaining sensation after a phallo. This is not a lie I have a video where a guy shows his phallo and mention he himself having gained sensation. Good for him! lol

3. Phalloplasty don't look like an actual penis.

Research, research, research. This idea comes from three misguided sources of information.
    1. Outdated surgery pictures
    2. A genuinely BAD surgeon
    3. and most commonly- you saw a picture of an UNCOMPLETED phalloplasty
Modern days phallos, at least in my opinion, look fantastic. With the exception of a few. Modern day advances like glanoplastys and medical tattooing can make a phallo look like the real deal. However, their are inexperienced surgeons and outdated techniques and you MUST be on the look out if considering this option. Most people agree (although their are exceptions) that a forearm flap or latissimus dorsi (also referred to as the side of your chest) give the most realistic results. Although I recently saw several exceptional photographs of a an abdominal flap I believe but that technique is slightly outdated (slightly I repeat). But the most common mistake people make is judging an incomplete phallo. A phallo can take up to a year and takes several stages to complete. You need to remember that if you see a picture of a penis with no head or balls, it's probably not done yet lol.

4. The erectional device is going to rip through the head during sex.

This incident is called protrusion, it can happen in biological men too. It's HIGHLY unlikely with an under 10% chance of this happening. Research the different erection devices to find one good for you if considering this surgery.

SRS Checklist for Phalloplasty:

Ability to STP? Yes
Average sized penis? Yes
Ability to have penetrative sex? Yes
Authentic appearance? That's a real personally perceived question but with a good surgeon I'd say, Yes
  •  

MrReborn

Their is a video clip on YouTube of a guy kind enough (and brave enough) to share his phalloplasty results. This is the link to the guys page who has posted the clip http://www.youtube.com/user/nogoodwithnames/videos I don't believe theirs anything wrong with posting this link is their?
  •  

King Malachite

Thanks for the info Mr.Reborn.  :)  I think it's good to debunk some of the myths that are floating around with regards to ftm bottom surgery.  I really enjoyed the video you posted too.  I enjoyed it so much that I liked it so it can be in my Youtube archive for further reference.  I have to admit that I had my heart set on a metoidioplasty only but after looking at that guy's results I may consider a phalloplasty in the future.  I really hope Youtube doesn't take it down as it's very informational.  Phalloplasty was my original plan for bottom surgery to begin with.  The good part about it is that it will be some years before (about 10-15) I can get anything done so I am almost certain that by that time there will be some advancements in both surgeries and maybe some new techniques.  Thanks again!
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

supremecatoverlord

Thank you for posting this especially because it's a procedure I definitely want done.
Meow.

•  

MrReborn

I was glad to post it  :) Also just in case they do remove it from youtube, I managed to save it into my videos on my computer and can send it to anyone who needs a reference if it's later deleted.
  •  

Jaycob

Quote from: MrReborn on April 10, 2012, 04:16:25 PM
I was glad to post it  :) Also just in case they do remove it from youtube, I managed to save it into my videos on my computer and can send it to anyone who needs a reference if it's later deleted.

Hey MrReborn -

was wondering if you could perhaps send me the phallo video as i cant access the link over in scotland :( and i really need some propper info... bad times!

Jaycob
  •  

MrReborn

Quote from: Jaycob on April 19, 2012, 10:27:09 AM
Hey MrReborn -

was wondering if you could perhaps send me the phallo video as i cant access the link over in scotland :( and i really need some propper info... bad times!

Jaycob

No problem :]
  •  

King Malachite

Also wondering....if the Skene's gland stays intact is it possible to have sterile ejaculation through the new phallus?
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

•  

Make_It_Good

Also some guys who get the forearm phallo procedure done do end up with some erotic sensation through their penis (though it may take time to develop and it may be say, just the underside and tip or whatever). This is because the surgeons, when taking the graft from the forearm, retrieve several nerves arteries and veins with it, this retains the sensation in the graft which becomes the penis. Then, they join a nerve, to one of the nerves in the original/micro penis/clitoris (whatever name you want to use :/ ), Therefore, the erotic sensation that you got from stimulation of the "clitoris", some of this then develops through the new penis. And you retain some of the sensation in the original spot.
   This is just for the forearm op though.
I know with at least the London surgeons, for guys not getting the forearm procedure but opting to stand to pee, they take a thin strip of skin from your arm (not nearly as big as the graft from the forearm phallo procedure, this is just the radial artery urethroplasty), and IF they find a nerve, they take that too, along with the strip of skin for the urethra and can attach it like mentioned before. So, there is a chance that the thigh or abdominal/pubic phalloplasties the London team perform, could potentially develop sexual feeling too. But Mr Christopher explained that there is a 50% chance of them finding this nerve :/

Anyway, I know Ive rambled on there, but thought Id share that info and debunk the myths a little more!
  •  

MrTesto

Quote from: Malachite on April 21, 2012, 12:47:08 PM
Also wondering....if the Skene's gland stays intact is it possible to have sterile ejaculation through the new phallus?

Some guys who have metas with urethral hookups report this.
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: MrTesto on April 21, 2012, 05:56:45 PM
Some guys who have metas with urethral hookups report this.

I've heard of a few guys being able to do so but what if a guy gets a meta and then a phallo that buries the meta under it.  Would the guy still be able to ejacuate?

•  

MrReborn

Quote from: Malachite on April 21, 2012, 07:10:41 PM
I've heard of a few guys being able to do so but what if a guy gets a meta and then a phallo that buries the meta under it.  Would the guy still be able to ejacuate?

As much as I hate to be a negative nancy, I'd have to assume not since the skene glans don't reach to the phallic head. but as MrTesto said this is a possibility with metas, although rare.
  •  

MrTesto

That'd be a great question for one of the focused yahoo groups like The Deciding Line. From the guys I have heard/read, it might be more about the length of the neourethra in combination with, hmm, the amount of pressure being exerted on the ejaculate?

But I'm speculating at this point. Clearly we need more research!  >:-)
  •  

JayKyle

Quote from: MrTesto on April 22, 2012, 02:34:24 PM
That'd be a great question for one of the focused yahoo groups like The Deciding Line. From the guys I have heard/read, it might be more about the length of the neourethra in combination with, hmm, the amount of pressure being exerted on the ejaculate?

Yes we do!

And just think with the progress they've made so far in bottom surgery, what will they be able to do in the future?!
Being me is the way it should be.
God made me this way so get used to it XD
Black is a freaking rainbow >.<
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: MrTesto on April 22, 2012, 02:34:24 PM

I wanted to join the deciding line but from their home page they only accept guys who are preparing for bottom surgery as their next step or something like that. :(

•  

King Malachite

Quote from: JayKyle on April 22, 2012, 02:49:46 PM
Yes we do!

And just think with the progress they've made so far in bottom surgery, what will they be able to do in the future?!

This is what keeps me going and looking foward to the future of bottom surgery.  :)

•  

Arch

Also, 50K GBP is, uh, a little steep. And does that amount cover medical expenses only, or does it include incidentals like travel and, if needed, post-hospital lodging? Does it include hysto? What if you have complications?

And don't forget that the pump will need to be replaced eventually. And that they rip the hell out of your arm to mine tissue for the graft. And that it takes a few surgeries for the entire process. And that the risk of complications is probably still pretty high, although I haven't seen any numbers.

I know a guy who spent nearly $50K American (he had already had hysto years earlier) and really isn't done yet. He still lacks the urethral extension, and he doesn't have a pump. I'm not sure how much it would cost to fix all of that, but it won't be cheap.

I guess seeing this stuff bothers me because I am single and American and pushing fifty. It's harder to save if you're single, and I don't want to spend my last working years saving up for a penis instead of retirement or my own home. And I don't anticipate that even a generous national health care plan will cover stuff like this, at least not without a lot of hoop-jumping, and certainly not anytime soon.

So for me, stuff like this is a pipe dream--phallic reference intended. And that's just depressing.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

JayKyle

Quote from: Arch on April 22, 2012, 06:31:02 PM
Also, 50K GBP is, uh, a little steep. And does that amount cover medical expenses only, or does it include incidentals like travel and, if needed, post-hospital lodging? Does it include hysto? What if you have complications?

And don't forget that the pump will need to be replaced eventually. And that they rip the hell out of your arm to mine tissue for the graft. And that it takes a few surgeries for the entire process. And that the risk of complications is probably still pretty high, although I haven't seen any numbers.

I know a guy who spent nearly $50K American (he had already had hysto years earlier) and really isn't done yet. He still lacks the urethral extension, and he doesn't have a pump. I'm not sure how much it would cost to fix all of that, but it won't be cheap.

I guess seeing this stuff bothers me because I am single and American and pushing fifty. It's harder to save if you're single, and I don't want to spend my last working years saving up for a penis instead of retirement or my own home. And I don't anticipate that even a generous national health care plan will cover stuff like this, at least not without a lot of hoop-jumping, and certainly not anytime soon.

So for me, stuff like this is a pipe dream--phallic reference intended. And that's just depressing.

That makes me sad for you :( Maybe there will be something released soon that will be more affordable but still in good function...here's for hoping!!!
Being me is the way it should be.
God made me this way so get used to it XD
Black is a freaking rainbow >.<
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: JayKyle on April 22, 2012, 10:54:58 PM
That makes me sad for you :( Maybe there will be something released soon that will be more affordable but still in good function...here's for hoping!!!

To hope

•  

MrReborn

Quote from: Arch on April 22, 2012, 06:31:02 PM

All important factors to consider. Now even though most people are familiar with the forearm flap its certainly not the only option. I personally if I was getting this surgery would get a latisimus dorsi flap taken. My 3 reasons: its just as (if not more) authentically appealing as forearm flap (less hairy for most people also), scar easily concealed under shirt- even a tank top, and the  most important to me- direct donor site closing. Meaning that they don't have to take skin from somewhere else on your body to close the graft and therefore avoiding another scar. This surgery use to take 4 stages and for some surgeons it still does, but a lot of them now do it in 3 stages about 3 months apart I believe. Pumps do typically need to be replaced at one point, but usually last up to 20 years. The idea of this being a high risk procedure has not been the case in a very  long time but this idea still hangs around from the way it use to be. I can post the prices I got from a surgeon estimating the cost of each stage if anyone is interested. The prices (that I'm referring to) DO include hysto. In the first stage is vaginectomy,  trans-vaginal hysterectomy, oophorectomy, urethral advancement and scrotoplasty (including testicular implants). What this amounts to is the COMPLETE removal of all female organs as well as the creation of a phallic and testicles in just the very first procedure  :)
  •