Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Can yoghurt really 'go bad'?

Started by Jamie D, April 11, 2012, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Okay, so I have several single-serving size containers of plain yoghurt, and yoghurt and fruit, in the refrigerator, with March code dates.

Usually, I would toss them, but I needed some plain yoghurt for a tandoori marinade.  You know what, it tasted fine.  No problems.  Am I living dangerously?  Apparently not.

From the wikipedia entry on yogurt:

Dairy yogurt is produced using a culture of Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus and Streptococcus salivarius subsp. thermophilus bacteria. In addition, other lactobacilli and bifidobacteria are also sometimes added during or after culturing yogurt.

The milk is first heated to about 80 °C (176 °F) to kill any undesirable bacteria and to denature the milk proteins so that they set together rather than form curds. The milk is then cooled to about 45 °C (112 °F). The bacteria culture is added, and the temperature is maintained for 4 to 7 hours to allow fermentation.

In essence, yoghurt is milk that had already "gone bad" - in that it is fermented and curdled.

Many sources say that yoghurt should be okay for at least 7-10 days after the "sell date" if refrigerated.  Sour cream, for instance, has a refirgerator life of 3 weeks after the "sell by" date.

By the way, the orignal yoghurts were made with camel and horse milk.
  •  

spacial

Just my own experiences, I've had bad yoghurt and it tastes really sour.

As for the action of the bacteria, I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that, in a fridge, it will generally be too cold for any activity.

And that tandoori marinade sounds good.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: spacial on April 11, 2012, 04:22:33 PM
Just my own experiences, I've had bad yoghurt and it tastes really sour.

As for the action of the bacteria, I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that, in a fridge, it will generally be too cold for any activity.

And that tandoori marinade sounds good.

Thanks, spacial, it has to go for 6 to 8 hours.  Lots of nice Indian spices.
  •  

Devlyn

Ah, the fine art of rotting food safely! Winemaking, cheese, kimchee and sauerkraut, bleu cheese, anything that ferments or gets fungused up and remains edible just fascinates me. Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Kelly J. P.

I've had yogurt go mouldy on me before. None too fun.
  •  

Amazon D

scoup off the mould and eat.. add some honey to kill the germs.. been there done that a hundred times
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Kelly J. P.

I don't mean to sound something aweful, but scraping off mould and doing whatever to it to make it safe is... just...

Ewwwwwwwwww.

I hate mouldy stuff with an undying passion. It's the grossest stuff on the planet...

... having eaten some accidentally a couple times is probably part of the origin of my opinion.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Kelly J. P. on April 11, 2012, 06:10:11 PM
I don't mean to sound something aweful, but scraping off mould and doing whatever to it to make it safe is... just...

Ewwwwwwwwww.

I hate mouldy stuff with an undying passion. It's the grossest stuff on the planet...

... having eaten some accidentally a couple times is probably part of the origin of my opinion.

Do you recall was what developed from bread mold?

Penicillin
  •  

Pica Pica

Of course yoghurt can go bad.

If it falls in with a wrong crowd, start's greasing it's hair, street races... before long, who knows?
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Kelly J. P.

Quote from: Jamie D on April 11, 2012, 06:30:12 PM
Do you recall was what developed from bread mold?

Penicillin

My personal disgust with the object is certainly not a universal statement that mould is bad.

... Just sayin'. :)
  •  

Bexi

Quote from: Pica Pica on April 11, 2012, 06:47:15 PM
Of course yoghurt can go bad.

If it falls in with a wrong crowd, start's greasing it's hair, street races... before long, who knows?
Haha! Im undecided as to whether that was funny or painful!  :P

I once eat a yoghurt that was out of date , unrealised at the time. I thought it tasted fine tbh but didnt realise that it wasnt meant to have chunks in it  :-\

Sometimes you have to trust people to understand you are not perfect
  •  

Amazon D

Quote from: Bexi on April 11, 2012, 06:53:41 PM
Haha! Im undecided as to whether that was funny or painful!  :P

I once eat a yoghurt that was out of date , unrealised at the time. I thought it tasted fine tbh but didnt realise that it wasnt meant to have chunks in it  :-\

thats cheese  ;D
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Devlyn

Remember Alien Nation? They couldn't stay away from sour milk! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jeneva

We used to make yogurt and we routinely kept it for very long periods.   Although we made more of a greek style and the extra solidity may have helped drain out some of the whey that may have caused it to go bad.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •