Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What exactly does "medical clearance" entail?

Started by yarblockos, April 27, 2012, 06:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarblockos

At the beginning of this week, I made my appointment for surgery with Garramone in July. I was sent the pre-op packet, and one of the requirements is a "medical clearance." I know this includes a physical, but does my doctor have to write a letter as well? How do I present proof that I had a  physical?
  •  

Raneth

When I had surgery the "medical clearance" thing was a full physical, ECG (or EKG depending where you live) and a whole heap of blood work.  If you're going to be under full aneasthetic it would be a good idea to visit your dentist to make sure you've got no loose/cracked/missing teeth.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

It's a note from your doctor that basically says "Yo! Dr. Garramone! He's in good health and you are safe to do what he needs to do!" Garramone requires what most surgeons do: PT, PTT, EKG, BMP, HIV test and Glucose. Also, he requires a therapist letter. DON'T get that confused for the medical clearance letter, two different letter by two different providers :)
  •  

Adio

Quote from: MeghanAndrews on April 27, 2012, 10:26:58 PM
It's a note from your doctor that basically says "Yo! Dr. Garramone! He's in good health and you are safe to do what he needs to do!" Garramone requires what most surgeons do: PT, PTT, EKG, BMP, HIV test and Glucose. Also, he requires a therapist letter. DON'T get that confused for the medical clearance letter, two different letter by two different providers :)

Unless things have changed, I did not have an EKG or an HIV test for Garramone when I had surgery in June 2011.

Basically, my physical was a very brief one.  I can't even recall the guy putting his hands on me, even once.  Asked me questions, looked at my lab work (CBC, CMP, PT, PTT, INR), and wrote a script okaying me for surgery.  It's rather horrible (and I don't exactly recommend this approach), but the doctor didn't even know I was trans or having a DI.  I didn't lie, I even had educational handouts for him.  I didn't want to out myself to the medical assistant so I told her I needed clearance for surgery.  "What surgery?"  "To remove excess tissues from my chest."  "Oh like that thing..uh..gyno...?"  "Gynecomastia?"  "Yeah! My cousin/relative/someone had that."  So...that's what I doctor thought I was having done.  Never corrected him.

So yeah, just the basics.  Nothing too detailed (no pelvic exam or anything).  Possibly an EKG if you're older.  A brief letter or script from your doctor saying that you are healthy enough for surgery is all that is necessary.
  •  

yarblockos

Thanks for the replies, guys. I figured I'd ask my other question here instead of making a new topic, but exactly what blood tests should I ask for from my doctor? My doctor said he wanted the names of specific blood tests. Why isn't that listed in the FtM pre-op packet I was sent?
  •  

Adio

Quote from: yarblockos on May 20, 2012, 09:04:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I figured I'd ask my other question here instead of making a new topic, but exactly what blood tests should I ask for from my doctor? My doctor said he wanted the names of specific blood tests. Why isn't that listed in the FtM pre-op packet I was sent?

You should have been sent two scripts from Garramone's office.  One for the medical clearance and the other for lab work.  The lab work one should say something like this:

"Lab Orders
Quantity: 1 labs Not Specified
Frequency:  CBC, Lytes, BUN, CR, Ca, Phos, Glucose, PT, PTT, INR"

That's what mine had on it back in January 2011.  Basically you need a CBC (Complete Blood Count), CMP (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel), PT, PTT, and INR; the last three are to see how well your blood clots.  Call Garramone's office and ask Bridgett for the script if you didn't receive one (check your email).  She's the one who sent me all that info.
  •