Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

DIY Binders

Started by Joe., November 16, 2012, 06:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe.

Hey everyone,
As I'm not out to any friends or family, I can't buy a binder as my mum likes to go through my stuff and I'm not prepared for her to find it. Does anybody know a safe way to bind without an actual binder? I'd like to be able to bind but I'm quite big chested which I hate so it's difficult. I want to achieve a male looking chest with a baggy t shirt but I don't know how to without an actual proper binder. Does anybody have any tips?
Joey :)
  •  

Jeatyn

There is a very good pattern for a DIY binder from years ago on the forum somewhere.

I used it when I first started to bind around 4 years ago I think.

I modified the design to fit my large chest better. I took an old pair of jeans and cut off the legs into rectangles, so you have one as a front panel and one as a back panel. Then I poked holes through the edges with a pair of scissors, and laced it up on either side with some string the same way you would a corset, only you're corseting your chest rather than your waist. It worked pretty well. For extra compression I also cut the gusset out of a pair of those bum and tum lifting tights and cut the legs off to serve as armholes.

A more recent thing I had pretty good results with was using the same sort of tights, and sewing two wide straps of elastic to the top, and wearing it like dungarees, so the belly compressing part got pulled up over my chest and squashed it all down

The thing is though, having something like this lying around is only going to have the same issue as your mum finding an actual binder :P
  •  

Joe.

Thanks for your reply. I like the jean idea and will try that next time I have some old jeans. I my mum finds it I'll just make up some sort of story or try and hide it haha. Thanks again.
  •  

Adam (birkin)

I've just told my mother that my binders are undershirts, saying I sweat a lot. This was before she knew I was trans. I think if anything she just assumed it was a "corset", lol.
  •  

Joe.

I don't think my mum would believe me on that one  :-\  Thank you though, it's something to consider in the future, maybe when I start university. I've heard of the bandages one but I've also heard that it's not safe. Does anyone have any comments on that?
  •  

AdamMLP

Quote from: Joey4 on November 17, 2012, 07:45:46 AM
I don't think my mum would believe me on that one  :-\  Thank you though, it's something to consider in the future, maybe when I start university. I've heard of the bandages one but I've also heard that it's not safe. Does anyone have any comments on that?

Bandages = no.  It's pretty unsafe, painful and I only used to do it for two hours at a time.  I couldn't imagine doing a whole day like that.

I've heard of people using back braces/supports as binders, maybe that would work for you.  I don't know how well they work/safe they are as I've never tried, but maybe someone else could chip in there with that info.

To be honest whatever you have is going to look a little weird and it would probably be best to just get a proper binder and hide it well.  Inside a cushion, under a rug, pin it behind a cupboard/wardrobe, even inside a desktop computer would work.  I actually left mine on the bathroom floor once for about a week and no one touched it.
  •  

Clay

Well if you choose something without velcro and stuff and remove any *dubious* tags then it really doesn't look/feel that different to certain kinds of sports underwear. Then again I don't know how leery your mom is...
Putting the "fun" in "dysfunctional"
  •  

unknown

•  

Joe.

Thank you all for your replies. Thanks for your hiding places Alex, I'll bear them in mind for other stuff I wanna hide haha. I may start to look into getting a proper binder but I can't afford much at the moment plus I'm not sure where to look in the UK. I've only ever used bandages for about ten minutes and it didn't work that well. My mum isn't as leery as I make out I don't think Clay. It's probably just me being too paranoid and overthinking things. Thanks for the link Sparrowhawke, I'm from the UK though so I can't buy stuff from there :-/ thank you all the same.
  •  

jessman3

when I was (more)broke and couldn't afford a 'real' binder, i made my own with ace bandages. While wrapping them around yourself isnt a good idea, you can cut and layer them to make large panels (front and back) and then stitch them up the sides. I used 2 in total, with one being wider. I took two lengths and lined them up along the edge, and used a vertical looping stitch (totally not a technical term. I stitched it that way so that when it stretched the thread didnt rip, it went diagonal.) then i stitched another length along the middle the same way. It made a 12 inch panel with a stronger elastic in the middle. Repeat and sew along the sides. Tube-top style. It worked for the time, it was hot though. if you make one like this, measure the fabric while its stretched but leave a little stretch, so you know it wont be too tight. always make sure you can easily take a deep breath with any homemade binder. (I also used that jean pattern. works well, but you have to be careful not to tie it too tight) good luck man.
  •  

Joe.

Cheers Jessman. I'll read through that description a few more times and try it (sewing isn't a great specialty of mine haha) I'm gonna try the jean pattern when I next get jeans, it sounds good. I won't be wearing any binder for long periods of time, it will just be for my own satisfaction of having one and being able to wear it when I want and feel comfortable in myself. Thank you for going into great detail about how to make one. It's appreciated.
  •  

AdamMLP

If you can use a debit/credit card then you can order from lesloveboat, underworks or any other overseas company.  Obviously then you have to find a way to get the parcel if you're mother is going to be suspicious of what you're buying.  I hesitate to order anything like this online even though my parents never care what I buy -- the only reason why I won't buy a packer!
  •  

Arch

A while ago, someone said that he had used a device from Wal-Mart that cost very little. I think it was a waist cincher, or something like that. It was under ten bucks, if I'm not mistaken.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

aleon515

Don't use les loveboat. They come in packages marked "les loveboat". Yikes. OTOH, I don't think binders are that weird looking. Just are like undershirt-- or I believe the girl word is camisole (just giving it to you in case you need it. They don't look like much. The half size ones kind of look like sports bras.

--Jay J
  •  

unknown

Quote from: aleon515 on November 17, 2012, 09:45:16 PM
Don't use les loveboat. They come in packages marked "les loveboat". Yikes. OTOH, I don't think binders are that weird looking. Just are like undershirt-- or I believe the girl word is camisole (just giving it to you in case you need it. They don't look like much. The half size ones kind of look like sports bras.

--Jay J

Depends if his mom or he get's the package  :P.

•  

geoangelcandybutch

I have a Champion (brand) bra (actually didn't know that's what it was until just now because I bought it at thrift store a couple months ago [I checked on Google what it could be]). It works better than the binder I have to bind. Though I'm not all that large (C/B).

I'm not sure which one it is, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the two of these:

http://www.championusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__11651__11501_22235?cm_vc=BraFinder

http://www.championusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__11651__11501_308915_34716?cm_vc=BraFinder

There's no tags on the bra I have so I can't know for sure which one it is, and I don't know if these would work for you or not (or if you could even buy them from their site, but I'm sure they're sold at places like Walmart or some sport store or something).

I hope this helps. And they're just sports bras, so if you forget to hide it then it won't be a big deal because it's not the same thing as a binder.

Hope this helps!
  •  

Jared

Quote from: aleon515 on November 17, 2012, 09:45:16 PM

--Jay J

I ordered from them in the summer and the package was simply blue only with my name and postal address.
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission.

•  

aleon515

@Jared, I ordered mine in April maybe. I got it thru the US post office (International mail). Once I had to pick it up (which I hated as it said Les Loveboat). The other also said this. Perhaps you ordered your's a different way.

Re: champion. Their sport's bras are very tight and are compression. There is also a new one out made by underarmour called "Gotta have it". I've heard good things. Stay away from anything that stays uplifts, separates, flatters and you might be able to have mom buy you one. :)  Compression or high impact is the good word (of course I don't know how old you are.)

--Jay J
  •  

Joe.

Thanks for so many replies. I don't really have the money to buy stuff to be shipped overseas but it's good to know that Champion are good as I can get them over here. I'm quite big up top which I hate so I think it's going to be difficult whatever I try. Does anybody know any UK shops that sell them?
  •  

Jeatyn

You can buy underworks binders from UK sellers on amazon. Some people like the underworks binders but I personally find them horrendously uncomfortable. Lesloveboat are my favourites but like others mentioned the packaging is far from discrete :P the cost of them is also an issue.

Is the big brother binder thing still going? I got a free t-kingdom binder from them when I first started transition and struggling for money
  •