Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Sore thigh muscle after first injection

Started by desperate believer, March 21, 2013, 10:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desperate believer

Hi everyone. I finally had my first Testosterone shot yesterday at my endocrinologist office. I experienced no pain until after I got home and slept. Then most of my upper thigh (where I injected) was sore when I walked. The pain has gotten a bit worse and now my lower thigh down to the top of my knee is sore to the touch as well. I took some ibuprofen but it doesn't seem to be helping yet; it's been two hours since I took it. So I'm wondering if I should be worried or if this is normal. Thanks. ~hope
  •  

Biscuit_Stix

Completely normal. I always inject in the thigh. It just depends on where on your thigh you inject. I've noticed some locations smart for a bit longer than others. Some get really sore, some just sting for a bit. Some bleed like crazy and some don't bleed at all. I never really aim so I haven't figured out which places are worst, but there's gotta be a nerve or something there. If you can dodge that, ya should be fine.
What the hell was that?!                 From every wound there is a scar,
Spaceball 1.                                     and every scar tells a story.
*gasp* They've gone to plaid!        A story that says,
                                                        "I survived."
  •  

desperate believer

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better =) Tomorrow I'm calling my endocrinologist office just to be on the safe side. ~hope
  •  

Blaine

Hmm... Maybe I should make a map or something when I start injections so I don't keep hitting the same bad spot. I don't use my camera for anything anyway, so I could at least get some use out of it. Thanks for the idea.
I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! In [my head!] Azkaban!
  •  

Elijah3291

Normal.  My thighs are always a bit sore afterwards for maybe a day, and it hurts to walk.  Not terrible pain, but you can feel it.

I would suspect the reason why yours is hurting a lot is because it is (probably) the first time you had a big needle in your leg.
  •  

Sly

I've found that I don't get sore if I inject a little higher up on my thigh.  This has happened to me a lot, though.  The pain's never been intense, just a little soreness.  Just try injecting in a slightly different spot next time.  After some trial and error you'll find a spot that works.

Also, remember to aspirate (pull back on the needle to let air in before injecting).  Some spots on your legs will bleed, which isn't exactly horrible, but not good either.

desperate believer

Thanks everyone. My thigh started feeling better Friday and now it doesn't hurts at all =) ~hope
  •  

GentlemanRDP

Like everyone else has already said,
It's normal for some soreness, after all, you are jabbing a needle into your muscle, and muscles don't exactly like getting jabbed with things...
...Well, okay...some do, but...that's beyond the point.
I find that I don't have as much of that soreness if I give the injection a good little rub after the shot, even just for a few seconds as it helps get the oil (Which is what T is suspended in) moving a bit instead of sitting still in one spot in the muscle.
  •  

Ayden

I'm a year in on injections and my muscle still gets sore occasionally. Ie noticed if I push the needle in slower it tend to hurt slightly more.

It's pretty normal like everyone has said. I mean, you are pushing a needle into the muscle. Anything going into your body can make it sore. My earrings still occasionally hurt if I take them out and put them in after a few days.
  •  

desperate believer

I'll try rubbing the injection site after my next shot. I didn't mind the soreness at first but when it got to the point that I could barely walk I got a bit worried. However, to my surprise the pain quickly went away after two days and I'll know what to expect after my next T shot =) ~hope
  •  

Magnus

Benzyl Alcohol is why you can get quite sore after a quad IM. For whatever reason, in that particular site, that alcohol likes to separate itself out from the oil and migrate towards your knee (and this is the only injection site that will do it almost every time). Alcohol, of course, is an irritant to all tissues and that is why it feels so uncomfortable or irritated (slightly inflamed even).

Also, virgin muscles don't like having their tissues displaced to receive what is essentially a sterile abscess (the T and oil balloons the muscle tissues a bit and it stays like that, just like an abscess -sterile- , until your muscle's metabolic activity breaks it down until it is all absorbed).

It gets better. And for when you eventually start self-injections, DO aim for the Vastus Lateralis in your quads, always. Try your absolute best to get it closer to the center (as in between your knee and hip, center, not center of the leg towards or away from your nethers), as that is where it is at its widest and thickest and NOT to go too deep (it is not necessary, in most people, to sink it all the way) or too shallow either (about half-way of a 1-1/2" will suffice), because it really hurts to have it balloned in not enough muscle or, worst of all, between two muscles. If you don't get it in the ballpark on any of those, well it'll be worse.

For me personally, I can't do the "dart" motion with my syringes in that area. I tell my brain to do it, I'm determined to do it, but something just stops me every time (it's infuriating). So, instead, I have to do it with the significantly less comfortable method of putting the needle flush to where I want it to go and then 'shove' it in. Feels spectacular.

Anyway, if you get it in the "sweet spot", you won't feel anything after the initial stick. My last shot in the quad was perfect, didn't even have the alcohol migrate or anything.

Oh and, IMHO, gluteal IM's are by far better. I personally don't feel a thing there. So if you can, someone else doing it in that area is best. Unless you'd rather do it on your own, that's fine too, it's just not as comfortable and painless.

•