Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Why do so many transwomen become caricatures?

Started by Elsa.G, April 02, 2013, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Maybe they're going through puberty a little late. Really, you see young girls in bad makeup and slutty clothes all the time. It takes awhile to learn this stuff. Even cis women are not born knowing how much makeup to slosh on and how much skin to show. It's just that trans women don't get to go through their awkward experimentation phase at an age where it's accepted and even expected. So, yes some do end up looking awkward and out of place and even silly perhaps.

Behavior can be the same too. Young girls often try to act like women. Or they would probably think of it as 'grown up'. But it can come off as obnoxious and ridiculous, especially to adults. But still just brushed off as being adolescents. Again, trans people don't get this acceptable growing stage. At least not as their proper gender.

Plus, as Madeline put so well, if they're older their perception of female behavior and dress may be a little dated. But they're not the only ones. Ever seen a 50 year old with a bad 80s haircut? Or makeup? Or even gah! clothes? Older cis men and women often have 'dated' ideas on proper male and female behavior as well. It's not a trans thing.
And referencing another point in Madeline's great post, 40 year old trans women don't have the advantage of 40 years of perfecting their look and manner.

Maybe some of these women you're talking about will outgrow this phase or maybe they really like how they're presenting and don't care what anyone thinks. It's finally time for them to be themselves and maybe they enjoy this.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Quote from: MadelineB on April 03, 2013, 02:15:03 AM
I assume the original poster didn't mean anything hurtful or judgmental with her choice of language (we don't all have the same language or cultural background - including age and where we grew up).

Rephrasing of the question:
I have noticed that many people that I think are transgender women present in what I consider to be a hyperfeminine or stereotypically feminine manner, to the extent that it may hinder their passability (in a culture that no longer favors hyper feminine women). What are their reasons for this? I just don't get it, because that is NOT my style, and passability is very important to me. Can anyone help me to understand? I'm not trying to judge anyone, just trying to figure out why they aren't dressing and acting and speaking more like what is typical for women in today's white American middle class society where I grew up and live.

^^This. 
And I am surprised, in a forum that has generally been really warm and supportive, at how people can make thoughtless comments like the OP.

The OP said  'what i would call caricatures of women. They dress and act like stereotypical women you know with too much make up, very feminine dresses'.

If you pay attention to what was said, that is not just me but, a very high percentage of people on here and most cis women too (give or take the make up used to cover facial hair). Yes I wear girly clothes, you know the type that a stereotypical average girl would wear. Yes I have to wear more foundation than I would like.  So I am a caricature of a woman. Thanks.

Quite frankly I hate that other people would think that when I walk into a room, as it shows how I am considered to be a fake, a joke, a mockery held up for ridicule. That is what a caricature is. It also shows that people are quite happy to come out and say stuff like that without proper regard for how they will make others feel.

Yep, both of those things are true. It's just not nice and I didn't really expect it here.

Well, I can't stop wearing the make up to cover my facial hair. What should I do? Butch up my clothes? How femme am I allowed to be before I become a mockery, a joke and a caricature?

Cindy

I get amazed by the insensitivity, the stupidity and the down right rudeness of some of the members of this site.

You need to look at your own images, your own perception of who you are. Your own dreams and the feelings you have for yourself.

To be honest I find those who are so un-accepting of others may have deep flaws in their own make up.

If you cannot accept others, then your humanity is lacking and I am sorry for you, because you will never be able to accept yourself.  I find that sad as it is something we all desire.

If you cannot take pride in yourself then acceptance of others is always going to be a bridge too far.

I will keep this thread open in the hope that maybe some people can reflect.

I realise I'm foolish as I keep hoping and believing in people.

However it is very close to being locked.

Go on surprise me!

Cindy
  •  

MaidofOrleans

Wooooow...

I think a lot a girls are reading too much into the original post and finding insults where none were intended. All the op was askig was why trans women chose that particular form of ultra feminine expression when she thinks the unsubtly of that expression could appear like trying too hard or get the person clocked. As trans women we are scrutinized far more deeply than cis women when it comes to proving to a non-understanding world we are really women. There really is a better way to respond then jumping on the OP like a pack of hungry dogs for simply asking a question based on an observation shes made.

By the way "cariciture of women" can refer to this expression of femininity for any kind of women, be it cis, trans, whatever. This form of expression has been critisized by feminists for a long time as what male dominated society "expects" a women to be. It has nothing to do with reference to trans in particular.

"For transpeople, using the right pronoun is NOT simply a 'political correctness' issue. It's core to the entire struggle transpeople go through. Using the wrong pronoun means 'I don't recognize you as who you are.' It means 'I think you're confused, delusional, or mentally I'll.'. It means 'you're not important enough for me to acknowledge your struggle.'"
  •  

kira21 ♡♡♡

I respect you MoO and, as I said, I pretty consistently agree with your posts, but what the OP said was insulting, whether she meant it to be or not, it was. At *best* it was ill considered, poorly phrased and insulting.

I also disagree with the more radical feminists thinking that they can empower women by telling them its not OK to be feminine, just because then people would be more likely to expect *them* to be feminine too; like there is something wrong with feminine characteristics and preferences and that femininity is to be avoided in favor of masculine attire and traits. They do not want to be that feminine and so they insult and ridicule those who do. Cis, trans, whatever.

To call anyone a caricature, cis, trans or otherwise, is a judgement that they couldn't possibly *actually* be like that and that they are fake to the point of being ridiculous and holds them up for ridicule. It is a horrible thing to call any person cis or trans.

Fair enough she might not have meant it but I do not consider myself to be jumping on the OP like a hungry dog in saying that. I am just letting her know that what she said upset me and why. She should know that.

kathy bottoms

So I'm almost afraid to post now. 

How many of us have that one fancy dress or something else in our closet that we take out, try on, cry a little and put away again.  Some times I wish there was a time and place I could just be around some other girls who all want to wear "that one dress" and act out what they'd like to before having to cry and take it off.  I know it sounds stupid, but what the hell I'll never get that chance to be the younger, good looking girl.  So wtf, let them go for it. 

Kathy
  •  

kira21 ♡♡♡

Maybe the OP didn't mean it the way it sounded, maybe I am over-sensitive about this. I don't think so, but I suppose it could be that but, I just find it quite upsetting.

suzifrommd

I can see both sides of what was said here.

Many of us feel that what some trans women do reflects on all of us.

OTOH, every women in the world, cis or trans, is entitled to her own style and I feel it is our duty as human beings to respect other people's choices as long as they aren't harmful.

I haven't seen much of what OP was talking about, but I hope when I do, I will be able to celebrate their womanhood rather than judging them.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Seyranna

It has nothing to do with "style" or the level of femininity. It has to do with not looking genuinely natural or looking "off" as in obviously constructed... Usually through body language and demeanor not clothing or makeup. Kinda like how femmy gay men can be effeminate all they want they will never be perceived as authentically female. Same thing in fact. Over-emphasizing hip movement when you have no hips just looks ridiculous. Overly feminine gestures will NOT make you look genuinely female especially not when you're build like a truck. Behaving like a 15 years old valley girl when you're 35 is not acceptable. Period.

The level of insecurity in this thread is appalling...
  •  

Kelly J. P.

Quote from: Cindy James on April 03, 2013, 05:23:28 AM
I get amazed by the insensitivity, the stupidity and the down right rudeness of some of the members of this site.

This is a very interesting quote. It first calls a group of people out for insensitivity, and then audaciously adds that they must be stupid.

I don't believe the OP was being insensitive at all (see: "I don't mean to speak ill of anyone in the community" as well as the general tone of the message), and it's an observation that I've seen made on this site before without much hassle. I tend to agree with it, because I also see many trans women act hyperfeminine. However, I also see a large number of trans women who still act (very) masculine, and I see a large number of trans women who fall neatly in the middle. Those whose masculinity/femininity isn't overdone seem to pass best, out of the three.

It's a curious thing to observe this very diverse range of expression in trans people. There seem to be more extremes in our group, for one reason or another, and I don't have the answer as to why. Neuroscience and psychology are hardly advanced enough to give definitive answers - even the nature of the trans condition is still, for the most part, a mystery. All one can do for now is hope that the answers will be revealed in time.

As a side-note, I find beauty in people of extreme expression. I believe that human diversity is an amazing, endangered concept - society tries to reduce diversity, but nature relentlessly supports it.

I hope that, in the end, human culture loses this battle.
  •  

Devlyn

All of y'all can skeedaddle, this thread is locked. ElsaG, if you wish to make a closing post, contact Not-so Fat Admin.
  •  

Just Shelly

I am responding to the thread that was locked!

I can completely understand where the op was coming from! She may have used some incorrect language but her observations were of interest to discuss and shouldn't have been demoralized.

I have never been to a LGBT support group and I have especially never been to a TG group, the reason being is I don't feel like I fit in with many of them...does this make me inferior?? No!! I just don't feel the need to be around "some" that don't mind being noticed or some that may "want" to be noticed!!

It reminds me of a recent news segment they showed on television about the equal marriage act being heard at the Supreme Court...they showed many people from the LGBT community outside but I couldn't help but notice one specific person (and I'm sure many others had also) he (or she) was dressed in a bright orange jumpsuit with some sort of animal face (reason did not know what gender) and was dancing around outside of the court house. Is this person a bad person or a sick person? Who knows...may or may not be....I will say this though...this person doesn't represent many of the people that were their but I'm sure some of the people that seen the segment thought "ya theirs another one of those whaccos".

I have stopped coming to this site mostly because it doesn't seem supportive of problems and questions we all have about ourselves. My first posts I ever made here were met with arguments about how I felt about myself. It was about how if I was having anal sex with a man it would feel to me as gay sex between two men...sorry but this is my belief...one reason I will not be intimate with a man until I have surgery. I am not saying someone else needs to view it like me but don't say I am wrong for expressing how I feel.

I have been living as myself for little over two years...I am out to only those who need to know. Unfortunately that is more then I would like since I have children and am involved with their education. Other then these interactions I am stealth...I would have a hard time convincing many that I was born a man. I do not say this arrogantly since I still see a man in the mirror many days. One reason I am well accepted as a woman in society is that I am just another average woman. This doesn't mean I don't dress girly every once in awhile. I work at a place that the dress code is jeans and a t-shirt...if I were to come into work with a dress on I would probably get some compliments but other women would probably wonder why!! If I was one that didn't pass as well I would be outed. On the other hand I went to church the other day wearing a skirt...my youngest asked if this was the first time I wore a skirt...he forgot I had one other time. He also thought I would be the only one with a skirt or dress on..I said No! I am sure their will be other women...and yes there were plenty of woman that had on a dress or skirt on and plenty that didn't. I guess what I'm getting at is I felt the need to wear a skirt because of the reason not because I needed to feel like a woman.

This is where defining what it feels like to be a woman is much more then how we dress...yes!! How we dress is very important to other woman and to ourselves but it shouldn't define who we are. I sometimes dress sexy because I am feeling that way...mostly its jeans and a nice top....but if I were to put on a pair of men's jeans and a loose t-shirt I would still feel like a woman...but I would be much more insecure with how others perceive me....even though when I was in the in-between stage I was always assumed to be a woman. What we wear as woman does define us if we want it too...for this reason I feel many of the transgendered that may not pass the best try to amp it up...I understand why they do this...I had felt the same at one time...but this doesn't help if unless you want to be noticed as transgendered and not a woman.

This is a pretty jumble up mess but I wanted to express my recent thoughts!! Thanks for reading!
  •  

Jamie D

Okay, there have been questions and complaints about this topic.  Since I did not post in the topic, I am going to give my perspective about what happened.

The topic got pissy.  People started to make ad hominem attacks.  Posts had to be deleted because they were mean.

Some posters in the topic were warned, and others banned.  Does the subject matter of the OP matter, and is it worth discussing?  Perhaps, if it can be done in a civil manner.  The thread became less-than-civil, and it was locked, and will in all likelihood, remain locked.

I made an exception here for Just Shelly, and added her comment to the mix, because she was polite in her PMs when asked about her post, and passionate about her view.  I did not want to leave her post hanging out in limbo.

I have found in business and in life, being polite gets you a lot farther than being obnoxious.

Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking

The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
    Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say "You're Wrong."
    If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
    Begin in a friendly way.
    Start with questions to which the other person will answer yes.
    Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
    Let the other person feel the idea is his or hers.
    Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
    Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.
    Appeal to the nobler motives.
    Dramatize your ideas.
    Throw down a challenge.

- Dale Carnegie

•