Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Urgent(ish)! Hairstyle choosing help needed.

Started by A, June 06, 2013, 12:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A

I have an appointment with the hairstylist in just an hour and a half, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to find a haircut I want. I know you're not me, and blah blah, but still, you can try to give suggestions regarding what you like, can't you?

I'm really confused, however I -think- I -might- want bangs. What kind, how, where? No idea! Also, I'm not SURE I want bangs. I just THINK I might like them. But that might just be from watching too much anime. So don't let it keep you from suggesting a haircut without bangs.

I've never posted a picture on this website, but I'm sorta desperate right now, so! If you are willing to help me find a haircut, either with a picture of someone else or with a hairstyle applied to mine, feel free!

If you're willing to help me out, please PM me quickly to be sent some pictures of me: one with hair up to experiment, and a couple of others to show my face and hair length.

(Since I've never posted pictures here, you might have guessed, but: I would definitely not appreciate it if you threw these pictures somewhere people might see them or use them for something else!)
A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

A

Actually, I guess you can just post here to request the pictures. I'll PM them to you.

Also, you could take a look here.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,140969.0.html

I posted this a little while ago. I've sort of said a bit about what I think I might like, but it's not hugely helpful.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

A

Off for a rush shower. I'll send the pictures to people as quickly as I can when I come out.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

A

A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

A

I've read/used both of these before, but I'm still not quite sure. The article gives some general guidelines, and the website looks so artificial it doesn't help me. Maybe it's me who sucks at that. :/

Also: My phone broken and my bad memory have combined to make me think the appointment was at 15:30, but it was at 14:00. They gave me another at 18:30 tonight. So you still have time to help!
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Seras

Why don't you ask the hairdresser what she thinks would look good?

Or ask her if she thinks bangs will work on you?
  •  

A

Pictures sent.

And yeah, I know, no straight bangs. I've never been the biggest fan of straight bangs anyway, no matter the facial features.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

A

Seras: Well, I've been traumatized before as I did that and ended up with pretty bad results. I'm going to a new salon, so there's probably nothing to fear, but I want to be cautious and have at least some idea of what I want when I go there, because I'm still scared.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

barbie

Quote from: JulieR on June 06, 2013, 02:18:49 PM
A, try this:   www.taaz.com

You can try out a ton of styles on your own pic.

Oh. It is a funny site. I just tried it. It is amazing!

By the way, I do not want to change my hair style. Just polishing photo.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Renee

I'm leaning towards this  http://pophaircuts.com/carla-gugino-long-hairstyles-with-side-bangs Its a nice cut with side swept bangs and hair parted off to the side and with the hair a bit wavy. A big concern for you should be how easy it is to maintain and reproduce quickly yourself. Too many women get hairstyles that take too much time and effort to keep up or redo once they are out of the stylists hands.

*warning: unsolicited comments*    And just to say, you are quite cute in your pictures, I think you'll do great with transition as far as your face is concerned. And I'm jealous as hell of your hair.
  •  

A

Yeah, that one looks like one that's hard to reproduce, doesn't it? I don't think I have the slightest idea of how to do it.

(Why is everyone so jealous of my hair? Is it just because I haven't lost it?)
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Renee

Quote from: A on June 06, 2013, 03:26:01 PM
Yeah, that one looks like one that's hard to reproduce, doesn't it? I don't think I have the slightest idea of how to do it.

(Why is everyone so jealous of my hair? Is it just because I haven't lost it?)
Actually, I think that sort of cut is fairly easy to keep up with for the most part.

And I have plenty of hair, its just fine and being naturally curly, dries out very quickly, I have to keep enough product in it like mouse and some hairspray to keep it from frizzing out really bad.

And whatever cut you get, the stylist should be happy to show you how to reproduce it quite easily.

I use to try to keep my hair from curling, but after going to this one really good stylist, he showed me how to get the most out of it while staying as natural as possible. I probably spend about 5 minutes a day maintaining it and never take a blow dryer to it. Even if its completely wet, it dries by the time I have to open the store after arriving there about an hour and a half earlier to do paperwork and prep stuff.
  •  

A

Ah. I guess the blow dryer might be the reason my hair is so damaged. I can't really help it though. If my scalp remains moist for even just a little bit too long, the following day (or even the same day!) it'll get infected-looking crusts and/or painful pimples. I think my thick hair is a big barrier to evaporation.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion. I probably won't get precisely that, but it's giving me some ideas.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Ltl89

I think side bangs may work well for you.  You don't need to get bangs, but I can see you looking good with them.  Personally, I'm a fan of wispy bangs, but I'm not certain how it'd work.  But you don't seem to NEED bangs, so that is a good thing.  You have more options available to you.

Have you considered highlights? 
  •  

A

Sort of, sort of, but I'm poor, and any kind of colouring sort of dooms me to re-colouring them periodically. Even just one colouring isn't cheap. (I just got my phone killed by a bus, and I had to buy another. Phones are expensive. It was a big hit in my savings.) Plus my hair is damaged, so. I'd rather it be healthy before I hit it with dye.

So since I don't dislike my current colour, I think I'm going to go with it, and keep the option of a colour in mind for later.

Edit: What are wispy bangs? Google search returns half straight bangs, half such a big variety of bangs I can't figure out what "wispy" is.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Ltl89

It's sort of hard to explain.  It has to do with how it's cut and angled.  There are many different kinds of wispy bangs.  So, it can look very different.  It depends on what you are going for. 

This page did a decent job explaining it.  Better than I can,lol

http://helensstyle.com/2012/02/wispy-bangs/
  •  

A

I see! They look great on her, but I don't know if it's just because it's her.

A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Ltl89

I think it could work for you too, but I would try and use one of those hairstyle image sites if you could. That way you see before you do anything.
  •  

A

Mmmh, straight bangs, I've never been a fan, no matter how they would suit me, so.

Also! I'm leaving in just a few minutes, so last minute recommendations are pretty much now.
A's Transition Journal
No more updates
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: girl you look fierce on June 06, 2013, 05:18:26 PM
Side swept is a safe bet then :)

I'm in agreement with this.  Judging from your photos that'll look good.   Though, it's up to you whether you like that look. 
  •