Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My tooth broke today.

Started by Ltl89, June 07, 2014, 03:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ltl89

As the title points out, I lost a tooth today while eating my only meal for the day.  Not in the cute little kid losing their baby teeth waiting for the tooth fairy, but in the "I'm an adult that's now missing a tooth".  Seriously, I'm messed up and ugly enough as it is.  Now, I get to be the socially awkard transsexual who has a horrible nose, an ugly and manly appearance and is missing a tooth.  I know they make implants, but it takes time to replace and money that I'm going to have to save up.  If anyone has been through this, can you please share with me how long it took you to replace it?  Can you tell me how much it cost?  And did the result come out okay?  I don't have dental, but my medical covers some dental work.  Probably not for implants though, so I may be screwed.   In any case it's more in the middle, so it's not visible unless I point it out or open my mouth wide.  Still, I really didn't need this.  I hate my body and appearance enough as it is; this didn't have to be added on to it.

Please, anyone that has been through this, can you share what the experience was like.  I'm freaking out for both financial and social reasons (having to wait some time to fully replace it and fearing that I'll look stupid after the fact). 

P.S.  Sorry for the negativity, but I'm really miserable at the moment and have been crying about this for the past hour or so. 
  •  

LordKAT

Insurance will sometimes cover if it is a front tooth that negates your looks or makes speech difficult.

I'm missing many teeth, dental coverage for dentures is there but not for implants. They can put in a bridge though which gives a biting surface and keeps the other teeth in line.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: LordKAT on June 07, 2014, 03:56:08 PM
Insurance will sometimes cover if it is a front tooth that negates your looks or makes speech difficult.

I'm missing many teeth, dental coverage for dentures is there but not for implants. They can put in a bridge though which gives a biting surface and keeps the other teeth in line.

That's what I'm afraid of.  It seems like I'll be paying in the thousands just for one freaking tooth.  Seriously, there is no reason that I have to go bankrupt over one damn tooth.   What is a bridge exactly?  Maybe I can afford that since implants appear to be over $2,000 at minimum. 
  •  

LordKAT

It is kind of like a mini denture that attaches to the teeth on either side of the missing tooth.
  •  

JLT1

Hey Girl,

I have broken two teeth.  In neither case was an implant necessary.  I have two crowns. 

Start with a dentist and have them evaluate what is necessary to fix the tooth.  Then, get the cost. 
Typical crown is $400-$1500.  A dental implant is $1500-$7000.  I do not know whay a dentist would do an implant vs. a crown. 

LTL,  you are quite attractive in girl mode.  Please, do not be so hard on yourself. 

Hugs,

Jen

To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Megan Joanne

I've only been to the dentist once in my entire life, back in my early teens, and got a lot of fillings put in that day. Well, one day in my adult life, some years ago, I had just put a piece of candy in my mouth and bit down as to chew on it, not realizing it was a hard candy (not the chewy kind), filling must had been lose, it fell out along with the candy I bit down onto after I heard and felt a crunch, tooth broke, really bad. Unable to afford a dentist I had no choice but live with it, and that was one painful year as it took that long for the nerve to either finally die or just to get covered up by gums when it sealed up. thankfully it was one of my molars, so not visible by others. I got a lot of very bad teeth in my mouth, several back ones decayed down to the gum line...that's what happens when you don't take care of them, eating junk food as part of a normal diet and rarely brushing your teeth. I am taking much better care of them now though (how am I to keep keep smiling if I have a mouth full of rotting broken teeth?). I've experienced tooth pain too much over the years, especially that one, talk about agonizing, everything, whole heads throbs from it, pain killers can only slightly relieve it and only temporarily. Gotta take care of my teeth, not going to be getting another set, natural nor false ones. I dread when another filling falls out.
  •  

Eva Marie

I'm sorry about your tooth and I know what you are going through.

I didn't have dental insurance for years because I was self employed, and lets just say that the dentist dropped to a very low priority for a long while. Now I have dental insurance and I'm a regular at the dentist LOL..... as part of tuning me up he was replacing some old fillings and after he replaced one I had sudden sensitivity on that tooth. Turned out I needed a root canal, but while I was waiting for that to happen a chunk broke off of a molar on the other side of my mouth! So I have had the one root canal and now I need another one and then I need two crowns.

Insurance will cover the two root canals (mostly) but after that i've exceeded the benefit for the year so I get to shell out for the crowns.

When it rains it pours.
  •  

Ltl89

Thanks everyone.  I do appreciate all the words and advice.  I'm just really upset about this.  Luckily I'm not in any pain because I had a root canal on this tooth.  I just never got the crown because I couldn't afford it.  Now, the side of the tooth cracked, so it's unlikely it can be saved; although, I did save the piece that broke off.  I'm just hoping I can fix this somehow because it makes me feel even more self conscious. 

@JLT1 Thanks for your compliment.  Honestly, I just feel like so much is stacked against me already, now this gets added onto it.  The good thing is that my tooth is more in the back, so it's really not noticeable unless I point it out.  However, I really didn't need this now.

Quote from: Megan Joanne on June 07, 2014, 11:39:45 PM
I've only been to the dentist once in my entire life, back in my early teens, and got a lot of fillings put in that day. Well, one day in my adult life, some years ago, I had just put a piece of candy in my mouth and bit down as to chew on it, not realizing it was a hard candy (not the chewy kind), filling must had been lose, it fell out along with the candy I bit down onto after I heard and felt a crunch, tooth broke, really bad. Unable to afford a dentist I had no choice but live with it, and that was one painful year as it took that long for the nerve to either finally die or just to get covered up by gums when it sealed up. thankfully it was one of my molars, so not visible by others. I got a lot of very bad teeth in my mouth, several back ones decayed down to the gum line...that's what happens when you don't take care of them, eating junk food as part of a normal diet and rarely brushing your teeth. I am taking much better care of them now though (how am I to keep keep smiling if I have a mouth full of rotting broken teeth?). I've experienced tooth pain too much over the years, especially that one, talk about agonizing, everything, whole heads throbs from it, pain killers can only slightly relieve it and only temporarily. Gotta take care of my teeth, not going to be getting another set, natural nor false ones. I dread when another filling falls out.

I'm so sorry you are going through all that.  I didn't grow up with the best teeth either (dentist said I inherited it from my mom) and know what it's like to require painkillers to make it through everything.  Sadly, that took me to another bad place and one of the reasons I fear dental work.  I do my best to save my teeth and they aren't "visibily bad" but it still sucks. 
  •  

Shana-chan

Quote from: learningtolive on June 08, 2014, 08:17:42 AM
Thanks everyone.  I do appreciate all the words and advice.  I'm just really upset about this.  Luckily I'm not in any pain because I had a root canal on this tooth.  I just never got the crown because I couldn't afford it.  Now, the side of the tooth cracked, so it's unlikely it can be saved; although, I did save the piece that broke off.  I'm just hoping I can fix this somehow because it makes me feel even more self conscious.   
Mattie! Tooth advice before the beauty advice. Ok, years ago I saw a commercial that if a tooth breaks off, you need to get it to the dentist asap (Preferably the same day) I don't know if there is a time limit but I'm guessing, the longer the tooth is out of your mouth, the harder it is to re-apply it to the tooth in the mouth. I have no idea if this is true or not so my advice is to call the dentist now, find out if there's a time limit and you can also ask them how much it might be to repair it. (Estimate)  Now, if it's not that noticeable unless you point it out or make a big smile then, that's not so bad, could be a lot worse, so my advice is don't worry about that at all. (Referring to what you said about losing it and your looks) No, if you have to worry about anything on it, that should be any future problems coming up with the tooth and money but really, just try ot to worry about it.

Now, as to beauty, Mattie I've only seen two pictures of you and, those were the ones where you weren't even trying, basically, without even trying yes you look like you can pass as a woman and NO! You are not ugly nor have a man appearance. (Least not to me and as MANY have said, you look fabulous and can pass) Oh and your nose is fine, not horrible. lol You really got to stop beating yourself up in this way, it's not helping you and is only hurting you. Mattie, do you realize that you do exactly what woman do all the time? You worry about your looks, which is good but you don't need to constantly bring yourself down. Admit it, there has got to of been at least 1 time where you looked in the mirror and thought you were cute or beautiful right? Even if you didn't, I know others have thought so. So really, stop bringing yourself down! You got to hang in there and try and look at the positive sides of things. Remember, I put myself down a lot as well, am hard on myself, and that REALLY takes a toll on me, prolongs my depression/suffering and so on, but, I do try and hang in there, stay positive, look at the bright side and so on. My point is, you can be yourself and be happy, maybe not at this time, but later down the road and you got to hold onto that thought with all your might! I could go on but, if I did it'd turn into a REALLY LONG reply. ;) Best of luck Mattie and just, hang in there and try not to be so hard on yourself in the future. Wish we could hang out more, you're a very likable girl. :)
"Denial will get people no where."
"Don't look to the here & now but rather, to the unknown future & hope on that vs. the here & now."
  •  

ErinWDK

I had a molar with a HUGE filling and the whole side broke off the last time I ate popcorn (over ten years ago).  Given how little was left of that tooth I didn't think the dentist could do much.  I ended up with a crown - the whole process cost about $600.  They were able to fit a "temporary" crown the first day they worked on it.  This stinks, but it is not the end of the world.

Hang in there!

Erin
  •  

luna nyan

LTL,

First of all, you need to get to the dentist and get assessed ASAP.

The tooth needs to be x-rayed to see if the root canal has become reinfected, if it has, then the report canal may need to be retreated or the tooth needs to come out.

If the root canal is sound and funds are limited, have a good temporary filling placed with a long term temporary material.  That will buy you a few months to save for either a crown or implant - implant treatment is most successful the sooner it is placed after the tooth is removed.

This is not professional advice, it is in general terms from my personal research and reading.  :)

Oh, and don't leave it.  An exposed root canal treatment can lead to re infection and a big dental abscess that can be potentially fatal or leave your face with scars.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

Rachel

In Philadelphia there are dental schools. I know of one person who got implants for  $500 each.  Students perform the work under supervision of a professor.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

King Malachite

That is what happened to me.  When I went in for an evaluation, I was told my tooth couldn't be saved, but for an implant it would cost around 4300-5000.  I seriously considered it, but as of now, I think I'm just going to keep using whatever is left of the tooth until it all breaks, and then seek an implant.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

janetcgtv

When I was working I had dental insurance. When I became retired I lost my dental insurance, but had the funds to get the crowns and any root canals if necessary. My last tooth got broke when I ate a candy cane at Christmas. I had no funds to pay for it and had it pulled. I'm 71. Your young it is not the end of the world. If you need help ask someone close to you. They will help you out.
  •  

Felix

I have a top tooth to the right of my canine that crumbled and fell out. I'm scared to go to the dentist because there's no way he can get the rest of the root out without cutting the gums. A referral to a more specialized surgeon would be a relief, but in the meantime I just have a gap. It's visible if I smile very big, and I assume people can see it when I laugh. Nobody says anything, of course. I'm mainly trying to get out of the habit of messing with the socket with my tongue.

My dentist seems to be very aggressive with his equipment, and when I show fear he berates me. He says he used to work in warzones and that americans complain too much. He also reminds me over and over that I've had a lot of dental work, and problems are to be expected. I went like 15 years with zero dental care, so I have had a number of root canals since I got insurance a few years ago. I take good care of my teeth, but I grind them pretty bad so I'm missing a lot of enamel. And I've chipped some and my jaw is a little off from car wrecks and other physical trauma.

My main social fear is having removable teeth. I'd rather have gaps than false teeth. That feels too ghetto for me. I've seen some pretty nice implants. I don't know if anything medical would contraindicate them, but I assume that you can plan to get them if you ever have the means. I think you can safely hope for that eventually. The main downside is that they look a little too perfect on most people, but there are worse problems to have.
everybody's house is haunted
  •