Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

WHY do women love shoes??

Started by Joseph, January 27, 2006, 10:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

Being a (straight) guy, I've pretty much avoided this whole board completely since the beginning, so I never thought I'd be starting a topic here!  But something someone said recently on another board reminded me of something I've always wondered.  Why on earth do women like shoes so much??  This is something I've never understood.  I predominantly wear two pairs of shoes.  One pair is used for work and in general places where sneakers aren't too acceptable.  Then I have sneakers for working out and in general any time I don't wear the work pair.  Sometimes I will wear sports sandals, but since it's winter I haven't worn them in a long time.

However, all the girls I know have a zillion pairs of shoes, at least one for every imaginable occasion.  Why?  It must not be to attract guys, because naturally we just don't notice women's feet.  Shelley explained in the other shoes thread why she likes high heels.  That sort of helps.  But, I thought I'd start this thread to hopefully discover the answer to one of the great mysteries in life!  Look forward to your replies.  :icon_dance:

All the best,
Joseph
  •  

stephanie_craxford

A girls gotta look good :)

I have a lot of shoes, and I mean a lot.  I like to look stylish and match the different looks that my cloths present and that in turn makes me feel good.   Shoes to match my many moods :)  I know it's pretty superficial, but hey that's me.  Different outfits, need different shoe styles and colours and need to match the different elements of the outfit.  For example I have an exquisite pair of black pumps with a jeweled buckle they go great with evening wear but would look silly worn with a pant suit at the office.

But be careful Joseph not every girl has this need for shoes, many don't, and I'm sure that there are several here who would fall into that category.  I'm just one of the many that do. :)

Steph
  •  

Joseph

Quote from: Stephanie Craxford on January 27, 2006, 10:34:14 PM
I know it's pretty superficial, but hey that's me. 
Ha, right.  I may be new here but (not to flatter unnecessarily) you're obviously much deeper than the superficial stuff.  On a side note, I do appreciate women who make the effort to look nice.

Quote from: Stephanie Craxford on January 27, 2006, 10:34:14 PM
But be careful Joseph not every girl has this need for shoes, many don't, and I'm sure that there are several here who would fall into that category. 
Yes, thanks for the reminder.  It only *seems* like all the girls I know have lots of shoes; didn't mean to stereotype.  On the guy side, many guys in the U.S. seem to love football (including me) but one of my guy friends, one of the "manliest" guys I know, probably isn't aware that the Superbowl is next weekend, much less who's playing.  :D

Joseph
  •  

Cassandra

Gotta agree with Steph here. A girl does have to look good and you just cant wear one pair of shoes with every outfit. Personally I love heels even if they don't love me.  a good pair of two to three inch heels enhance the legs. I love how I look.

Here's another mystery for you Joseph. If I see a pair I really like and it is a little small but are the only pair I will stuff my feet in them and if I can get them on they are mine. Not that I'm into pain or anything but I figure wear them a few times and they will stretch which they do to a point. I wear every pair of shoes in my closet and my collection grows with every new outfit and sale. Of course with the outfit and the shoes there has to be a matching purse, belt, scarfe, jewelry etc.

When a girl says she needs a new outfit this entails more than just a dress or skirt and blouse. Outfits have to be properly coordinated and that means shoes. If I'm on a budget then an outfit has to be chosen which will match the shoes I already have. This will of course limit the selection of outfits. I may not have the shoes to go with a particularly cute outfit. If I don't have the budget I have to look for something else even though I may really want the outfit. If I'm flush then I buy the outfit and hope I can find the right shoes. Hence I may try a pair of shoes a little on the small side.

Of course thats just me. Hope this gives you a little insight into the world of womens shoes and answer the internal question of why some women try to stuff their feet into shoes which are too small. It's not that we don't know they are too small, it's just that we are hoping we can make them fit.

Cassie
  •  

Louise

Guy clothes are kinda dull.  There are only a few colors to pick from and basically everything is a variation on pants and shirts.  It does not take too many pair of shoes to go along with that!!!  One dress pair and a pair of sneakers sounds about right to cover it all.  (I actually have three pair of shoes that I wear in guy mode--it must be the feminine part of me spilling over.)

Women's clothes, on the other hand, come in a wonderful variety of styles and colors.  It takes more than a few pair of shoes to match the outfit properly.  I own a pair of black pumps with 2" heels.  They work well with a lot of outfits--basic black is "basic" for a reason.  But if I wear a pair of burgundy stretch slacks with a cream and burgundy tunic, the black pumps do not look nearly as nice as a pair of pink high heel sandals--pink and burgundy look good together.  The pink sandals also complement a grey skirt that I wear with a pink blazer and scarf.  But they do not look very good with my red jumper--a pair of cream flats looks much better with that and they match the blouse that I wear with the jumper.  The flats also go well with a jeans skirt and tee for a casual outfit.  But if I dress up the outfit by going with a nice blouse with the skirt, then I will want to change my shoes to something dressy--perhaps a pair of white heels.

If you wear clothes just to keep from freezing, any old pair of shoes will keep the mud off your toes.  But if you dress for style, then shoes are part of the fun.
  •  

Shelley

I agree with Louise,

Guys clothes are very plain without much variation while womens have so much more variations. Probably the one item that does have so much variation is in shoes.

As Steph said there are some shoesthat are for evening and some for day wear. The there is always the pairs that you just have to have.

Shelley
  •  

Dennis

Uh oh, maybe I'm not manly enough. I have dress shoes, sneakers, hiking boots, motorcycle boots, and gum boots. Five pairs. More than twice as many as I should have!

It has always boggled me too, Joseph that anyone could find a use for as many pairs of shoes as some women seem to have. It seems to go hand in hand with enjoying actually going out shopping without a particular goal in mind.

My mother is a big one for that. She has her closet full of clothes, my dad's closet full, my old bedroom closet, and a big clothes rack downstairs. She probably has shoes to go with each outfit.

Dennis
  •  

Cassandra

I wouldn't worry Dennis. Your shoe collection sounds pretty utilitarian. When hiking a good pair of hiking shoes are a must for proper ankle support. Sneakers just wont do. Motorcycle boots are another specialty item that address safety and protection. Dont fret, your shoes sound pretty guy to me. When I was a guy I had two pair of dress shoes a pair of sneakers and hiking boots. I had two pair of dress shoes mainly because it's practicle. If you wear the same pair all the time they wear out faster. By the way, what are gum boots?

Cassie
  •  

Dennis

Gum boots are what is called wellingtons in England. Not sure if there's another name for them. Waterproof rubber boots, about knee high.

Dennis
  •  

Joseph

Thanks everyone for your replies!  They've been very enlightening. I get it now.  ;D

I guess my last question (hopefully) is... do women care more about shoes than other articles of clothing, or is it just another part of the outfit?  It seems like girls get more excited talking about shoes than other types of clothing... but that might just be a misperception on my part.

btw Dennis, I do have other shoes... various types of athletic footwear.  I just don't wear them as often.  The extra shoes you mentioned definitely don't make you less manly. ;)

Joseph

•  

stephanie_craxford

QuoteI guess my last question (hopefully) is... do women care more about shoes than other articles of clothing, or is it just another part of the outfit?

May be your question should read ... do women care more about shoes that anything else...  And the answer to that question is quite easily demonstrated.

Try standing between a woman and a shoe sale :)

Steph
  •  

HelenW

Stephanie, you might as well suggest suicide!  ;D
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Jillieann Rose

I picked out a blouse I wanted and then found some nice boots, but only had enough money for one. Guess what I picked. ???
Your right if you said the boots. ;D ;D
:)
Jillieann
  •  

Cassandra

I went to a store to buy a skirt. I came out with two pair's of shoes. They were on sale. Then I noticed the Payless next door had a BYGO sale. Four pair was the final tally but hey I only spent $20 and got four pair of really cute shoes.

Standing between me and a shoe sale could be hazardous to your health.  >:D

Cassie
  •  

Kimberly

Meh. Shoes are nice and all, boots especially I can get excited about... hiking boots, combat boots, those nice trillion lace up jobbies... but by and large I wear... slippers, and you don't need many of them.

So I'm kind of an odd one, especially given a shoe sale and a computer program sale... yes that is right, you girls can have the shoes (=

*wink* I'm just a geekette I guess.
  •  

Valerie

Yup, me to, I'm with Kimberly.  I can't stand what I call 'the accumulation of things' and I also was never too keen on shoes to begin with (or pocketbooks!), especially girly-type shoes.

My goal is to have as few pairs of shoes as possible. So far I'm doing alright, but I don't have much of a stylish wardrobe--I decided I'm not going to buy any of those cute clothes until I have my body at a cute (and healthy) shape/size.  Once I do, though, I'm sure I'll search high and low for those couple pairs of shoes that can fit with just about anything. 

Heels are entirely out of the question.  I guess I dress for comfort more than anything else.

Valerie
  •  

melissa_girl

For me, I'd choose clothes over computer games over shoes in that order, but maybe that's because I have access to all my wife's shoes and I'm still in need of filling my wardrobe.  Computer games are a great distraction while you transition.

Melissa
  •  

Glora Femboy

well, i like shoes a lot too, well, that isnt hard to understand, i have a foot fetish, so it's understandable, i simply love my knee high vinyl black cherry platforms:) :-*
  •  

Sara

When I was a little (boy) I grew up liking womens shoes and as I grew older I wanted to buy them but my mom didnt let me. Everytime I go into the mall now I always have to try on new shoes, especially semi high heels and my wife says they are not practical but I had to remind her that before her accident she used to get dressed up in high heels and looked beautiful I might add. Any excuse to buy shoes, although clothes come a near second and my hair is right up there with them.

I do like computers but I think I would look silly with a crt on top of my back.

Sara.
  •  

Riyannez

Women loves shoes because shoes make them pretty. When a woman wear high heeled shoes, she walks very sexy. Shoes makes women look more attractive and very feminine.

mephisto 
  •