Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Alopecia Areata

Started by ConfusedMichelle, June 08, 2008, 02:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConfusedMichelle

I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata about a year ago. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's patchy hair loss.  Round patches fall out leaving the bald spots completely smooth. This is a picture of it I found off google.

However, there is no cure.  It's an autoimmune disease in which the immune system turns on itself and attacks hair follicles.  It's supposed to grow back within 6 months to a year.  If not, it can be treated with steroid injections into the scalp on each bald spot, which usually gives 100% hair growth back. 

I've had the same bald spot in the front of my head, right on the hairline for about 4-5 years.  It used to not be that bad, but when I started getting injections, my bald spot got bigger and bigger.  I thought it was just because of the disease, but I heard a rumor that hair growth can be stunted by the steroids because your scalp can become dependent on the coritsone and not manufacture hair for itself. So, 4 years ago it was just a balding line about an inch long.  Now it's a circle right in the center of my hair line, bigger than a quarter. 

I'm very self conscious about this, hence my love for hats. I had an appointment for consulting about hair transplants.  My doctor was cool.  I'm a good candidate for transplants because my hair hasn't grown back for 4 years. But he said it's a possibility that I could have Lupus (which is dumb...because that's genetic and no one in my family has it) because I had a patch of hair loss and my cheeks are pink?  So now, I have to get a blood test and scalp biopsy done. Considering the follicular transplants take about 6 months to grow anyway, this prolongs the process even more :(

I know I'm making a big deal out of this but it's very embarrassing, esp. because I want to keep my hair very short but that huge bald spot shows if I do that.  So, what I was thinking, was getting a new hair do until I get transplants. What do you think of this kind of look?  Will it make me look feminine?  Any other hair dos yall could think of? (pictures please?)

Also, does anyone else suffer from alopecia areata?  :(
  •  

J.T.

Yeah any of those would do, especially with your personality.

I don't have areata but i've got pretty thin hair.  Used to make me feel anxious but now i think it helps me pass better?  Don't know.  Eh hair loss can make anyone paranoid.

•  

ConfusedMichelle

I'm just scared having longer hair will make me look feminine.  I mean, I have a pretty girly face so longer hair might frame it's femininity.
  •  

J.T.

i know what you mean... so its the lesser of two evils dude.  whichever you can stomach more.  i decided i much rather like being called sir than hiding my bad spots.

nothing wrong with wearing hats or bandanas until you can get your transplant.  you could try going to a good hair dresser and seeing what they could do.  Or try extensions.  That's expensive but not just women wear extensions or whatever they are called.

did you ask how T would have an impact on the transplant?  You're pre-t, right? 
  •  

jet3

with that hair cut the length isn't to long. A lot of times as an ftm you would pass a little better with your hair at that length. With short hair it can show off all of your more feminine features. and hey i mean, if you start growing it out and you hate it, you can always cut it short again. Its worth a shot. My hair is pretty similar to the style in those pics, and i usually pass with no problem, even though i think my face is pretty girly. I would say grow it out and just see how things go.
  •  

ConfusedMichelle

Yes, I'm pre-T.  I'm not sure how it would affect my transplant.  Years ago, transplants for small areas were done by cutting out a huge chunk of the scalp in the back, leaving a small scar, and reattaching the skin else where on the scalp.  Now, they just extract the follicles and place the follicles in the bald area.  I'm not sure if that makes a difference?

And, I have a pretty good jaw line, so maybe this hair will enhance it? Ya think?
  •