Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Hiding facial hair

Started by Melissa, August 10, 2006, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa

Now that I am fulltime and needing to hide the facial hair that is not permanently gone, I needed to come up with a way that looked natural, rather than putting on a thick coat of makeup.  I thought I would share what seems to work for me and maybe this can help others.

To start with, I scrub the dead skin cells off my face.  This can be done in a couple different ways:
1. You can buy an abrassive daily facial cleanser like those offered from Oil of Olay and apply to the area where facial hair grows and scrub the skin with that.
2. If you don't have that, you can use an abrassive scrubber like a shower poof and wet the area with water and scrub.
This step is important in order to get the closest shave possible.  Otherwise, the hairs will be slightly longer due to a layer of dead skin cells.

Next, I use a facial moisturizer spread somewhat liberally over the areas with facial hair.  Next I use a high quality razor - I prefer the Gillette Mach 3, since I haven't found better - and shave against the grain, but don't press too hard or you may bleed.  If you do, I recommend a styptic pencil which will instantly stop bleeding.  At this point, your face should be fairly smooth.  If the moisturizer is too thick, water can be mixed in to smooth it out a bit.

Next, if you have a thick dark beard, you can use a beard cover such as thos offered by physicians formula like their magic cube concealer.  Apply just a little and rub it into the pores/hair follicles where the hair is very thick.  Wipe away any excess with a lint-free cloth or paper towel.  This step can be skipped if you have a lighter beard.

Next, get a concealer like Maybelline instant age rewind concealer.  Apply a light coating to the areas where the hair shafts are visible.  Rub this into your skin as well.  Next, apply foundation such as the Maybelline instant age rewind foundation.  This should go on lightly and evenly.  Hair should be well hidden at this point.

Smoother skin yields better results.  I named products that I have personally used in the past that I have found to be the most effective, but you can use substitutes or something that works better for you.  I don't use the beard cover anymore since I started laser treatments.  I have been asked by several people how I was able to get my skin to look smooth, so I thought I would share my personal technique with everyone, which uses standard products found in most stores that have a makeup section.  The entire process took me about 10-15 minutes after doing it for a while.

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I thought I would at least share it.

Melissa
  •  

Kate

Great tips! I'll just add:

DermaBlend: the stuff is meant to cover scars, burns, etc. It works great on beards. It's rather thick, but doesn't LOOK thick if used properly (warm it first in your hand, use on a moisturized face). Powder seems to be the key to soften it... and make it last all day.

Yellowish Coverup Stick: Used under foundation, it'll cancel out the blueish tones of the beard.
  •  

Dennis

I like the Mach 3 because my facial hair is still too soft for a lot of razors. They flatten the hair down rather than cut it. The Mach seems to catch them and shave close. The blades are horrifically expensive though.

Dennis
  •  

Melissa

I specifically use the Mach 3 Turbo as it tends to irritate skin less and I have been able to get a closer shave from anything else, even their new 5-blade razor the fusion doesn't quite cut it (pun intended).

Thanks for the Tip Tinkerbell.  I had used a commercial product similar and it worked really well, but now I can do it cheaper. :)

Kate, the Magic Cube concealer I mentioned above is yellow for the purpose of hiding the dark hairs.  You can get green if your hairs are move of a red color.

The thing about my method is you aren't required to spend massive amounts of money on dermablend, which isn't available to just grab off a shelf.  Buying it in the early stages would require outting yourself, which some poeple don't want to do.

Melissa
  •  

Shannon

Very useful tips.  Thanks!   :)  I also use a Mach 3 Turbo and have always got the best results with it over other razors.  I use a Gillette Venus shaver for shaving the rest of my body.  My doctor told me there is a certain bacteria on the face and if you use the same shaver to shave your body as you do your face it will redistribute this bacteria to other parts of your body often resulting in a nasty rash.  The facial skin has immunity to this bacteria, but the rest of the skin on our bodies does not normally, resultuing in the rash.  For this reason I use two shavers and they work great and no rash!   ;D

Another thing I have used in the past that I found works well on hiding dark beards is to use white eye shadow.  Just dab it on over the dark areas of the face and neck then use your foundation to blend it in.  The white eyeshadow serves as a guide as to where you need to blend in the foundation and it works great.  Then finish it off by smoothing a soft powder over top.  It looks very convincing afterwards.  Hope this tip helps!   ;)

Shannon
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Shannon on August 10, 2006, 10:21:39 AM
Very useful tips.  Thanks!   :)  I also use a Mach 3 Turbo and have always got the best results with it over other razors.  I use a Gillette Venus shaver for shaving the rest of my body.  My doctor told me there is a certain bacteria on the face and if you use the same shaver to shave your body as you do your face it will redistribute this bacteria to other parts of your body often resulting in a nasty rash.  The facial skin has immunity to this bacteria, but the rest of the skin on our bodies does not normally, resultuing in the rash.  For this reason I use two shavers and they work great and no rash!   ;D
Thanks, I did not know that about the bacteria.  I also use the Gillete Venus for my body. :)  The wider surface area make cuts less like to happen.

Melissa
  •  

Chaunte

Great tips!  Thank you, all!

Chaunte
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Melissa on August 10, 2006, 10:09:32 AM
Kate, the Magic Cube concealer I mentioned above is yellow for the purpose of hiding the dark hairs.

Oh cool! I hadn't realized. Neat, huh? The stuff you learn on this path, lol...

The thing about my method is you aren't required to spend massive amounts of money on dermablend, which isn't available to just grab off a shelf.  Buying it in the early stages would require outting yourself, which some poeple don't want to do.

True, it's not cheap. Since it's most often used to cover up scars and tattoos, you can always use that as an excuse - though I'll admit I usually chickened out and had my wife ask for it ;)
  •  

mefree

Does anyone know if a trypsin topical treatment actually stop pigmentation of facial hair and delaying hair growth due to death of cells at the hair follicle papilla, I have a firend that uses it and says it works woders, does anyone know??  And also I have heard of soymilk being used to shrink and change the shape of hair follicles if used as a topical treatment.  Of course, you need to do the treatment ASAP after shaving and removing the hair, LOL.  Make sure you do not use castor oil on your hair as it actually promotes your hair's growth if applied to the hair and not the follicle.

I know you can also use a flour paste to remove hair from the body, all you need to do is make a flour paste and apply a thick paste to the area where you need to remove the hair and wait five minutes and then wipe off in a circular pattern, it works pretty well (at least for me) and SO MUCH cheaper than mach blades.
  •  

Robyn

After the laser or electrolysis regimen is over, I recommend an EpiLady or equivalent.

There will always be some regrowth/new growth, particularly as you young girls age (believe Grandma Robyn, it happens).

I invested about $20K in facial, neck, chest and presurgical e'sis over a 5 year period.  (I was a tough case.)  Now, I take a quick pass over face, neck and chest about once every six weeks to catch the occasional stray. 

I don't shave my legs.  (Hey, I'm 69 and have my man.)  So I depilate them before swim season and cruise season.  Underarms too, about twice a year.

It's kind of like graduate school.

Robyn
When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •  

Owen

Excellent tip's. I will definitly try them. Thanks for tipping off about bacteria. I will now use two different blades.

Owen

love being female
  •  

jennyclassgal

These are terrific hints girls. Some I have tried with success, others I will in time. One question though; Have any of you that have not had permanent hair removal done, gone enfemme for days at a time? I am booking 5 days off for "Jen time", for the first time. The only problem is that I often have to shave twice a day to be real smooth. How would you girls handle shaving for 4-5 days? Would facial irritation kill my grand plans?

Hugs,

Jen
  •  

Kate

Quote from: jennyclassgal on August 21, 2006, 10:08:04 PM
These are terrific hints girls. Some I have tried with success, others I will in time. One question though; Have any of you that have not had permanent hair removal done, gone enfemme for days at a time? I am booking 5 days off for "Jen time", for the first time. The only problem is that I often have to shave twice a day to be real smooth. How would you girls handle shaving for 4-5 days? Would facial irritation kill my grand plans?

You can epilate your face. You'll stay relatively clear for days. New hairs are always popping up, but they're easy to shave or epilate again.

But I can't even begin to describe the pain. I really can't. OMG.

And ingrowns were always a problem for me. And the irritation can look pretty bad for a day.

BUT... it's a thought.
  •  

Melissa

I would strongly recommend to NOT EVER epilate your face.  I learned the hard way. ::)  If you have to pull out hairs, tweezing is better, but I would still not recommend that.  Shaving often should work for the most part.  Use a moisturizer as I said at the beginning and shave in as few strokes as possible.  In the beginning, my hair grew too fast to go a whole day en femme, but hormones have slowed that down to a managable level. Most of it depends on how thick your facial hair is though.  If it's really thick, I would strongly recommend shaving often.

Melissa
  •  

LynnER

When I have the time and can stand to let it grow long enough I usualy wax my face.... Surgi Wax <comes in a little jar, no stripps involved sold at walmart>  its EXTREEMLY painfull specialy if oyur not used to it... but it gets most of the hair fairly quickly.... just do small sections at a time.... It lasts anywhere from a week to six weeks depending on the person and what and if HRT is doing to you..... I recomend doing this the day before going out and then shaveing the next day to catch the few strays.... give your face 24hrs atleast to heal before touching a blade or makeup......  nice thing though is it grows back thinner after a while  :D
  •  

Ms Jessica

Help!  I've been looking for the Physicians Formula Magic Cube everywhere and it's like no one carries it anymore.  Target and CVS both carry Physicians Formula, but neither carries the magic cube.  If anyone is still using it, where are you getting it?  Or, if you found a substitute, what are you using? 
Thanks!
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Tink on August 10, 2006, 01:46:03 AM
Although I don't have to shave anymore,

Well, I do have to shave, but even if I go 48 hours without shaving, nobody can tell.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

KitKatKathy

I'm kinda lucky in that I have barely any chest hair (just a few around the nipples), and my arm hair is very light.

Unfortunatly the face is a different story, I grow sparse but thick hairs and I have a fairly bad complextion (from pimples and black heads from my teenage years) so I usually end up with a bunch of nicks.

I'm seriously thinking of laser removal, I've already talked to a couple of places here in St. Louis (giving reason above). Has anyone here gone this route and how good was/is it.

Kelly
  •  

Melissa

Wow, it's been a while since I posted that.  I stopped wearing any foundation at all.  I haven't had a laser treatment in a while either.  I still do have hairs here and there, but I usually shave or pluck them.  If I forget to shave or anything it's no big deal.  I've seen lots of GGs with more facial hair than me. :angel:

I'll probably start going back to electrolysis sometime soon though to finish up stuff.  For hair removal, my recommendation for dark hair is to get a mixture of laser and electrolysis to get the best of both worlds.
  •  

Just Mandy

Quote from: KitKatKelly on April 08, 2008, 09:43:45 PM
I'm seriously thinking of laser removal, I've already talked to a couple of places here in St. Louis (giving reason above). Has anyone here gone this route and how good was/is it.

Hi Kelly,

We talked about laser in this thread last week: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,30561.0.html There
is also a whole forum on hair removal too. https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,81.0.html

You look great btw, I just read about your first trip out... congrats :)

Amanda

Something sleeps deep within us
hidden and growing until we awaken as ourselves.
  •