Support Susan's Place!

Help support the operations of this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Forums account required). You can also view the donor wall of fame!

For more information about all of this, read this post.

Author Topic: Voice Therapy MTF: Can't afford a therapist, how can I start changing my voice?  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Renate

• (ray-na-te)
  • Wiki Administrator
    • Renate's Booklist
This is an advert running on UK tv at the moment  for a rather stupid and pointless product, using guilt.

It's interesting because of the tone of the female voice. It's quite deep, but unmistakably female.

This is an interesting sample.
You'll notice her voice is generally pretty low, but she makes large excursions into higher pitches.

Offline AubreyRenee

• Quasianonymous. Post Op and loving it.
I am a tenor (singing), my singing range is Bb2 to F5. I have reached D6 in falsetto, forcing myself a lot, but my voice breaks all the time, even when I only speak. My voice is not deep at all,  I'd say it's  male average when I speak: C3 to G3, but when I try to change into "female mode" I definitely don't pull it off.

As a girl, I lack resonance (I sound almost falsetto) and I lack good intonation: I can clearly see I am almost monotone,  using only some three different notes all the time, as opposed to any average girl, who I know she'd use 7 or more different notes while speaking. My girl range is well in between the female range (F3 to B3), but I sound ridiculous and I hate hearing my voice when I record it.

Now this is something we can work with!  I too was a tenor in a past life and used a my vocal training to speed the process of accessing a female voice.

Speaking in a female voice boils down to accessing the head voice, minimizing resonance in the chest, and maximizing resonance in the sinus cavities. (Hence: chest voice / head voice).  This is different from falsetto, which pinches the throat to create tone.  You're just moving where the majority of your voice is resonating.  Pitch is not a big deal - so long as you're around A4 speaking you should have no troubles at all sounding female.

My recommendation is to get the albums of some alto-voiced female singers (Namoli Brennett, a trans singer herself, comes to mind) - and sing along with them.  Concentrate on matching their intonation and timbre more than hitting notes; the notes will be easy, but altos handle their voices a lot differently than tenors.  (An alto, for example, will really lean on G3 to C4 and lay off on F4 to B5, where a tenor would do the opposite.)  This relearning is _hard_ and takes months to learn, but in the long run itll land you a much more believable and full-bodied female voice, as you'll have learned the singing/speaking/resonance patterns in their whole instead of simply following a quick-and-dirty guide.  Since you've got singing experience it may be the best way to go as well - I know it's how I found my voice.

The intonation will come with time and talking with other girls - it just sort of falls into place.  Flipping your unconscious voice into the head register will be the hardest part, but I assure you that if you get this down you'll have a passable female voice.

Offline andream

• Friend
Hey I am also a tenor, and trained with a singing coach for a while. A couple of important things I have found while practising voice include:

* Keeping your core strong when you speak - you need all the support you can get.
* Speaking in a slightly more nasal tone
* Using head voice
* Record yourself often

What I find really useful to get to my voice is that beforehand I will squeak really loudly and high-pitched like a dolphin like "EEEEEEEE", as stridently as possible. I don't know what you would call that - it isn't quite falsetto, but it isn't quite normal tone either. This helps me get prep voice to get into that more nasal, thinner space that typical female voices tend to occupy. Another tip I read online years ago is to try and sound like a horrible old hag - you know the kind - something like the wicked witch of the west - and then bring it down a bit until your voice is within a more pleasing range.

I can't get it all the time - it's a really fine line between getting it and losing it - but I am satisfied with it when I can get it.

I have a male speaking voice like Axl Rose, so if I can do it, I really think anybody can.

Offline spacial

• MTF wannabe
  • Family
This is an interesting sample.
You'll notice her voice is generally pretty low, but she makes large excursions into higher pitches.

I agree. It is an intersting sample and reassuring.

The first word for example. Fact. She very slightly extends this, with a slight downward intonation. A male voice might say this faster and without a change in intonation. I get the impression that the female voice tends to invite people to follow and sometimes participate, while the male voice tends to aim at definitive statements.

The second part is brighter, though her voice still has that low pitch.

Tags: