Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Top Surgery Options & Prices?

Started by xAndrewx, November 19, 2010, 04:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xAndrewx

As usual I'm asking another question. Cheapest I've heard so far is Dr. Garramone who is $5,700 which includes all fees. He has experience and ultimately is the surgeon I'd love to go to but money plays a big part so if I can find someone cheaper I might consider price over experience.
For anyone post op or who has chosen the surgeon you're wanting to use what was the price range if you don't mind answering?

Elijah3291

As of now I plan to go to garramone because he is the cheapest well known top surgon, I love his work, and he is a bit closer to me.

I'd rather pay a bit more money and get a more experienced dr.

Now I just need to save for the surgery, the travel, food, and hotel stay, ugh.
  •  

regan

I have heard stories of FtMs that got a "breast reduction" covered by insurance due to back pain, etc and simply convinced the surgeon to reduce them entirely (remove them).  If you have insurance, this might be something to consider.
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

xAndrewx

Thanks for answering Elijah :)

Regan I had considered that at one point to be honest. I gained over 100 lbs in the last year and went from *ugh bra sizes* a B to a DD. Hoping I can loose the weight and loose a good portion enough to be comfortable a little because I'm terrified of needles and surgery so as awesome as it would be I'd hate to do surgery twice.

Elijah3291

Quote from: regan on November 19, 2010, 04:40:00 PM
I have heard stories of FtMs that got a "breast reduction" covered by insurance due to back pain, etc and simply convinced the surgeon to reduce them entirely (remove them).  If you have insurance, this might be something to consider.

do u have any more info on this?  Can a B cup use back pain as an excuse?  I do have back pain from them because of binders.
  •  

regan

Quote from: Elijah on November 19, 2010, 05:06:53 PM
do u have any more info on this?  Can a B cup use back pain as an excuse?  I do have back pain from them because of binders.

I've only heard of this through the internet grapevine so I can't say I have first hand knowledge.  Sorry.
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

Elijah3291

•  

Carson

I've scheduled my surgery with Dr. Garramone. He is the cheapest doctor with that level of experience. I went to a consult in person so that I could be sure though, and check out the facilities. He is a really nice guy and his staff is awesome.
Call me a cheat but I make my own fate.

http://www.formspring.me/carson1234
  •  

Lee11

Where is this Doc based?

I have been pricing around recently...the surgery itself can be reasonable but when you add all the additional fees you usually end up close to $8000.

I am paying cash and I thought that would help but it doesn't seem so....
I am a writer for several bodybuilding/ fitness and doctors websites and diet/supplement consultant.
I am also a personal assistant to a, Registered Dietician and Certified Diabetes Educator.

Through my work and experience I want to be able to help the transgender community
  •  

xAndrewx

Thanks for the replies everyone :) I live in the same state as Garramone so if I wanted I could probably just go home then drive back to get the drains out and save a little cash but I think that by the time I pay for gas to and from and back again & add in the pain of being in the car so long I'm better off just planning on staying there for the week if I choose him.

Firefly: He is in Sunrise Florida.

Lee11

Thank you....I have a friend who suggested Florida...its just when you add on the fares it wouldn't be much cheaper than NY.
I am a writer for several bodybuilding/ fitness and doctors websites and diet/supplement consultant.
I am also a personal assistant to a, Registered Dietician and Certified Diabetes Educator.

Through my work and experience I want to be able to help the transgender community
  •  

sneakersjay

Go to transbucket and look at pics.  Some docs also have pics on their websites of their work.  Dr. Garramone has awesome results.  I personally used Dr. Brownstein, whose surgery and fees amounted to $7900 ('08) plus the cost of travel.  But I got a vacation to SF out of the deal, which was part of my plan.  I've already been to FL a bunch of times.

Jay

•  

Lee11

This seems to be a pretty standard price...just got a quote at this price from Dr Leiss in PA

•  

TylerK

I have my surgery with Dr. Garramone on jan 13th. His surgery as of right now is $5,700 although when I had my phone consult he said that the hospital may be raising their prices which would then make him raise his. So I would just keep your eyes peeled on his website, or you can always call his office. They are all really nice there.
  •  

xAndrewx

Thanks Tyler, so many other things going on I have a feeling that surgery is long off unless I can find it way cheaper :( Since this thread has been updated...

Sneakersjay: How was your experience with Brownstein? Were the staff nice and such? All of his results look really good.

Wolf Man

I personally do not like the results from nearly all the patients I've seen from Garramone. :/ Maybe I just have high standards? Not sure. I much prefer Brownstein.

EDIT: I'm not saying these guys' chests look terrible, not at all. They look really good. I'm just referring to the scarring and the few patients with bad nipple grafts/placement.

Sneakers: I would also like to know your experience since he is my most likely choice due to his results. Maybe even a pic if it isn't too much to ask? Public or private, which ever you'd prefer if at all. Thank you, good Sir.

I'll be there someday, I can go the distance
I will find my way, If I can be strong
I know every mile, Will be worth my while

When I go the distance, I'll be right where I belong
  •  

Robert Scott

There is a guy here in the twin cities who does the surgery for under $5000 and doesn't require a letter ... I can find out the name if your interested.

I am going to get my chest surgery paid by my insurance.  Dr. Buckley works with insurance companies to get surgery covered  ... she has even gotten some A cups covered.  Before I switched insurance I was going to have a breast reduction -- the insurance company doesn't need to know how much is reduced--- however now that my insurance covers trans stuff I really don't care what she said the surgery is for.

I really want to use Metzler in Arizona and I might just use my HSA to do it .. but it would take me a year to get the money saved up in it.

Who knows.
  •  

Radar

Quote from: Elijah on November 19, 2010, 05:06:53 PMCan a B cup use back pain as an excuse?
No, it can't. You have to have a large cup size and have a history of back pain & problems because of it. Even then insurance can be iffy on covering it.
"In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
It is what it is—and whatever.
Time is still the infinite jest."
  •  

sneakersjay

I liked Dr. Brownstein and his dry sense of humor and matter-of-fact bedside manner.  If you're looking for more hand-holding then you may be put off by his demeanor (some guys are, if you poke around the net).  I liked him.  His staff was helpful with emails.  In person I found that they seem disorganized if you are early for your appointments, as his office is far from conventional.

The only problem I had overall was with the surgery center.  I had barely opened my eyes from anesthesia and they kicked me to the curb.  I could barely stand up and it took 3 people to help me get dressed as I was very wobbly.  I fell asleep in the cab and don't even remember the ride back to the apartment I rented.  they could have given me another 30 minutes and it wouldn't have killed them.

Overall a good experience and I enjoyed poking around SF.

Jay

•  

Lee11

Quote from: Rob on December 08, 2010, 01:24:53 PM
There is a guy here in the twin cities who does the surgery for under $5000 and doesn't require a letter ... I can find out the name if your interested.

I would be interested to know his name......

•