Community Conversation > Military Veterans Confab

Any Veterans here receiving services from the VA; HRT, Speech, Surgical


Anybody here a Veteran? FTM, MTF or Intersexed? Are you receiving any services from the VA? Like to?
Being a Veteran (Navy), I thought is this for real? Yes it is, and it didn't start yesterday either, in fact the VHA (don't ya love all the abbreviations) has been providing services to Vets for over 11 years except SRS and FFS. I've included links to articles and the <not allowed> American Veterans Association (TAVA) website also.
Also, if you are <not allowed> Veteran from a Foriegn Service, ex. German Airforce,  does your nation have anything similar available to them? Besides just starting another thread, I hope this might be of help to any of you out there that need HRT, Medical care and such, but can't afford it otherwise here's a possibility.

Department of Veterans Affairs VHA DIRECTIVE 2011-024
Veterans Health Administration
Washington, DC 20420 June 9, 2011
1. PURPOSE: This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive establishes policy regarding the respectful delivery of health care to transgender and intersex Veterans who are enrolled in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care system or are otherwise eligible for VA care.
2. BACKGROUND: In accordance with the medical benefits package (title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 17.38), VA provides care and treatment to Veterans that is compatible with generally accepted standards of medical practice and determined by appropriate health care professionals to promote, preserve, or restore the health of the individual.
a. VA provides health care for transgender patients, including those who present at various points on their transition from one gender to the next. This applies to all Veterans who are enrolled in VA’s health care system or who are otherwise eligible for VA care, including: those who have had sex reassignment surgery outside of VHA, those who might be considering such surgical intervention, and those who do not wish to undergo sex reassignment surgery, but self-identify as transgender. Intersex individuals may or may not have interest in changing gender or in acting in ways that are discordant with their assigned gender.
b. VA does not provide sex reassignment surgery or plastic reconstructive surgery for strictly cosmetic purposes.

Gadgett, take a look at this.

I've also found the Tricare will cover lots of the docs. I got my T and all doc appts covered and found a surgen who does top surgery on lots of guys in this area who takes Tricare. Than I can use the VA for the aftercare. Ha take that military won't let us in but have to cover us when we get out.


[0] Message Index

Go to full version