Community Conversation > Transsexual talk

What medical diagnosis did you receive as a result of your gender issues?

<< < (2/9) > >>

Janet_Girl:
Classic Transsexual.  Or to be more exact, Gender Identity Disorder.

JennX:
Diagnosis: Gender Identity Disorder.

"... presenting with symptoms of a classic MTF transgender individual..."

The word transsexual was never mentioned in the written evaluation or diagnosis.

Different horses for different courses I suppose. GID is the correct medical terminology... after that, it comes down to semantics IMHO.

cynthialee:
Transsexual, Transgender, GID. They are all mentioned in my medical records.

GID is mentioned in my walking papers and transsexual is ussed in the letter from my therapist to my doctor.
My personal doctor dislikes the word transsexual, he has said as much, and will only use transgender in his notes. Inspite of my protests.

Arch:
I've never received an actual medical diagnosis that I know of. My GP had nothing to do with my gender stuff, I've never seen a psychiatrist, and my therapist even declined to diagnose me with GID when he wrote my HRT and surgery letters. He felt that it was wrong to identify my gender issues as a disorder; "GID" seems to leave a bad taste in his mouth. As far as transsexual vs transgender, it has been self-diagnosis. When I finally stopped pussyfooting around (haha) and admitted that I was sure I was a transsexual and that I had to transition, that was all there was to it. In truth, I knew I was a transsexual in the late eighties; transition was the part I couldn't cope with. So I called myself by other labels for most of the time before I came out for the last time.

My therapist does say I'm a normal transsexual, though. :P

Northern Jane:
Age 16, 1966, Dr. Harry Benjamin, New York City, "Type VI Transsexual".

"From the horse's mouth" you might say ROFL!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version