Author Topic: What is your non-binary look of choice.  (Read 1037 times)

Offline transornot

• Visitor
What is your non-binary look of choice.
« on: February 09, 2020, 11:07:39 am »
I'm a 37yo AMAB I'm still trying to find and define a non binary style that suits my personality and feeling. I definitely plan on my outward appearance being mostly male. Just looking for a feminine flair. Generally I dress male on my top half and will wear female jeans and underwear with mens shoes that have a slimmer look. With warmer weather coming up I'm most worried about figuring out a good summer look.  I generally want something passable as Male, But still female. Like my jeans are usually tight fitting on my thighs and slim or straight on the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Maid Marion

Re: What is your non-binary look of choice.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 04:01:36 am »
I wear shorts with a hem from 2" to mid thigh.   A Junior's T shirt top  that just reaches the shorts.
And most importantly, diet and exercise for a thin waist.

Offline Kinkly

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 01:30:22 pm »
Finding a non binary look is very complex as it is not possible to "Pass" as non-binary to most cis-normative people. many years ago when I first joined this site.  I didn't know if the look I had seen on weird movies  was even possible for me (Yes) would it be safe (Kinda) and would it be easy (No) would it be worthwhile for me (totally right for me).  This look for me is as a bearded Lady.  It look a lot of searching before I was comfortable being me in public.  I started wearing clothes that were from the Ladies section that were not obviously ladies clothes then added clothes that were more fem.  I now (over 10 years later still have a beard and wear dresses full time.  I am living as me.  while I would love for people to see me as me I feel as long as they don't see me as typical Male I'm Winning sometimes I hear snickers from random strangers when using public transport "what is that", "freak alert" or any question from little kids about my gender feels Awesome. I also have an outfit that is a dress down my right side and a mens shirt then shorts on my left that gets awesome responses but doesn't feel as much like me as a bearded lady but still feels better than pretending to be a normal man.  Changing appearance can do a lot for improving Dysphoria
I don't want to be a man there from Mars
I'd Like to be a woman Venus looks beautiful
I'm enjoying living on Pluto, but it is a bit lonely

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 02:24:15 pm »
Finding a non binary look is very complex as it is not possible to "Pass" as non-binary to most cis-normative people. many years ago when I first joined this site.  I didn't know if the look I had seen on weird movies  was even possible for me (Yes) would it be safe (Kinda) and would it be easy (No) would it be worthwhile for me (totally right for me).  This look for me is as a bearded Lady.  It look a lot of searching before I was comfortable being me in public.  I started wearing clothes that were from the Ladies section that were not obviously ladies clothes then added clothes that were more fem.  I now (over 10 years later still have a beard and wear dresses full time.  I am living as me.  while I would love for people to see me as me I feel as long as they don't see me as typical Male I'm Winning sometimes I hear snickers from random strangers when using public transport "what is that", "freak alert" or any question from little kids about my gender feels Awesome. I also have an outfit that is a dress down my right side and a mens shirt then shorts on my left that gets awesome responses but doesn't feel as much like me as a bearded lady but still feels better than pretending to be a normal man.  Changing appearance can do a lot for improving Dysphoria

Hey, long time no see!  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline Tess100

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 02:54:49 pm »
My non binary look is mostly women's jeans, fitted sweaters or tops with male shoes of some sort, very little available in size 14 women's and always panties and bra or cami.   I would love to have more choices when it come to shoes. As my body changes from HRT my non binary look is becoming less and less so hence the big question mark when it comes to gender.😊

Offline Tessa James

• Family
  • Enjoying this self liberation
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 03:22:40 pm »
Our appearance and what we wear are so wonderfully open for non binary people.  We can allow ourselves the liberty and freedom to dress as we please and for what suits the mood and place we choose.  For many of us "passing" is not necessarily a goal or in the real sense we can always pass as our unique self. 

Why not have it and wear it all?  If your wardrobe and personal bandwidth are inclusive of all genders then the sky is the limit....or maybe closet space and funds?  NB people here seem to rock with dresses, skirts, jeans, make up and yes, even beards!

And then there is another perspective where we acknowledge that for some of us it matters little what we wear.  My face, shape, voice or mannerisms from a long life may say a lot more to those wishing to discriminate by gender. 
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013

Offline C-Woo

• The Duchess 💕
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 02:54:31 pm »
I love to wear dresses and skirts and body suits. Heels are my go to for shoes.
I would upload pics if I could figure out how.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 03:13:22 pm »

You need to use an image hosting site. Imgur is popular, I use the Gallery here on the site.

You can sometimes copy the link for use in a forum directly from the hosting site, or you can click on the little Mona Lisa icon above the reply box, which will give you a set of image tags [img][/img]

You insert your photo link in between the open and close image tags like this:

[img]http://www.susans.org/forums/gallery/0/13844-230218113752.jpeg[/img]

When you hit the post button, it will display the picture:

Veteran, US Army

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 04:31:08 pm »

@C-Woo
For your information

Trouble posting pictures??? HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS
   https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,239999.msg2263037.html#msg2263037

If you need further assistance please let me know.
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 04:55:17 pm »
It is very tricky. I once tried to look androgynous for a while.

Nowadays I seldom wear jeans or short pants, but I did wear them to look androgynous about 10-15 years ago.

Some people, including my family, prefer my androgynous-looking to feminine.

BTW, in my dream a few hour ago, I am going out in male mode, very embarrassed.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline transornot

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 11:29:23 am »
Barbie, I love your shorts with tights look! That is on my bucket list to pull off.

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 10:06:45 am »
Barbie, I love your shorts with tights look! That is on my bucket list to pull off.

Thanks, but nowadays I do not like that look. I prefer tights under a miniskirt.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline transornot

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 09:15:33 am »
So I tried a new look out. Absolutely in love with it but I'm not ready to wear either one out of the house yet......

Offline Lyric

• Family
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 10:27:34 am »
I love my stretchy women's skinnies as well, but I suppose if one thing has always marked my "non-binary" look (long before that term originated, I think) it's been my hair. My parents were not tolerant of long hair styles when I lived with them, but as soon as a I moved out (in the 1970s) I started growing it out and styling it in decidedly feminine styles.

Hair is not really biologically a gender factor, so it's the perfect expression of androgyny. Without necessarily presenting as cross gendered, I've worn my hair in every length from bobbed to waist length and most period fashions over the decades.
"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." - Steve Jobs

Offline DebbieB

• Debbie Ballard: IT Architect & Author
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 03:11:01 am »
Back in the 70s, I had a few favorite non-binary outfits.  I had a blue polyester jumpsuit and over that I wore a vest that fit tight like a corset or I would wear an Army jacket covered with peace slogans.  The ROTC commander when nuts every time I walked by.

I usually bought jeans from the Gap, girls jeans with the fuller but because I had a 30 inch waist and 38 inch hips along with a 34 inch inseam.  Of course, the pants always had pretty embroidery on the butt.  A quiana top (like thin spandex) and a pair of platform shoes to complete the look.  I often added a corset-vest that would show off my tiny waist and tight butt.

In the summer time, I loved to make my own cut-offs and often cut them and hemmed them up so they looked like Daisy Dukes.  I wore shirts that were always tailored to fit snug from shoulders to the waist.  One of the advantages of being able to sew.

I liked shoe shopping in the fall because the fall fashions for women could almost pass as men's shoes.  I'd go to a shoe store where they had the shoes in the boxes arranged by size, and at the time I could wear a women's size 10, so I could easily fit into some cute girl's shoes that weren't obviously feminine except the chunk heel.

I kept my hair long and had it razor cut so that when I dried it, it would fluff up and look more feminine.  From the back people would think I was a girl, and they would be rather surprised and disappointed when they saw the front.

One summer, I went to YMCA camp with my parents, and there was a youth group there that was going to sing in a performance.  I started hanging out with a bunch of girls during the meals and they invited me to sing with them.  They were quite surprised when I ended up in the bass section.  In shorts I looked like a girl, but I had cut off a pair of Bib Overalls and it created the appearance that I was hiding breasts.
Debbie Ballard - IT Architect
1st Transition 1988 to 1997 - detransitioned
2nd Transition 2010
HRT since 2011
Full Time since 2012

Offline Weeble

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 06:59:34 pm »
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this question in mind.  I just recently started on HRT and my provider asked me this question right off, "If you're not going to present as a woman, why go on HRT?"  I explained to her that I don't truly feel like either gender, but that I wanted more feminine curves with my clothes.  I have worn women's underwear for most of my life (mainly because I have as of yet found any men's underwear that fits as well as women's), and I just think it would be better to fill things out more appropriately as it were.  I am still planning on presenting as a male, although one with breasts.  I just turned 40 this year and have moved past (I hope, but time will tell) the concerns of what others would think when they see a 'man' walk by with breasts in his bra.  So for me, most of my life has been jeans and a t-shirt for outer wear.  I have some nondescript women's jeans that I will wear from time to time.  As I've read on some of the comments already here, I just plan on wearing whatever feels right at that time.  If it is a dress, great!  If it's jeans and a t-shirt, great!  If it's nothing at all, hopefully that will be the day I plan on staying inside as I don't really want to get arrested for indecent exposure.  ;-)

Offline DianaPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 07:38:35 pm »
I’ve basically adopted a look I call stealth femme: women’s clothes that let me express my feminine side, but aren't obviously female.

Offline FloralAlyssa

• No-op Trans woman / NB
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 09:11:53 pm »
I'm still figuring out where I'll end up, but my present thinking is that mostly my ID-ing as non-binary instead of a trans woman is that I have no interest in bottom surgery/changes, so I think my ideal presentation is likely to be pretty indistinguishable from 'female' at the end of my 'transition' period.

Offline EZ Linus

• Lovable Non-binary Person
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 01:32:09 pm »
Since I was able to pick out my own clothes--I was probably twelve, I have been wearing very androgynous things. I mostly wear jeans and a t-shirt, or certain button-up shirts that I think are cool-like embroidered ones are especially my thing. I like those kind of cowboy shirts with flowered embroidery on them with regular baggy-ish jeans. I used to wear Levis, but now I wear AGs that fit like Levis used to on me. Now I'm overweight and the AGs just fit better for whatever reason. Maybe not as frumpy.

I like expensive shoes that are almost manly, but slightly more fem. I like the dressy Birkenstocks shoes, or BedStye ankle boots, or any kind of rustic-looking mannish leather shoe.

I don't really wear jewelry. I wear a leather cuff bracelet sometimes and my earings are a 10-gauge with small black "hoops" with balls on each end, so they aren't exactly hoops. Sometimes I'll wear a beaded necklace, or one simple necklace with an unusual charm on it.

I am transitioning my hair at the moment. I've had very long dreadlocks for a decade and I am combing them out. It is taking about a month. I'm coming them out to about 14 inches long (about half their current length), and will get some kind of hair cut once they're all done, but I have no idea what style I want yet. A Bob? Short? Not sure. All the salons are currently closed. :(

Tags: