Author Topic: Let's come up with some gender neutral terms  (Read 33723 times)

Offline arice

• Friend
Re: Let's come up with some gender neutral terms
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2016, 10:02:02 pm »
My husband and I use partner to refer to me. He particularly enjoys saying it to people because my name, when spoken, is gender neutral (I love my mom) and so he likes to watch people try to guess... he has been doing it for the past decade and says it never gets old...
I gave a PhD so we avoid the Mr or Ms by designating me "Dr". I have to say that the lack or a gender neutral term here bothers me. Women fought hard to get a marital status neutral term and now the next step has to be gender neutral...
I am a mom and proud of that but I use "parent" as a gender neutral or biologically neutral term... I include the aunt who raised me under the "parent" umbrella all the time.
Sibling instead of brother/sister.
Uncle or aunt is hard and I don't have a good suggestion. I recommend a personalized term of endearment. If I ever have nieces or nephews, I think that is the route I'll take.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Offline arice

• Friend
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2016, 10:03:03 pm »
Language is constantly evolving and we can make it happen. :)

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Offline DogSpirit

• Friend
  • in that gray zone in between
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2016, 01:17:56 pm »
Yes, we can make it happen. We just need to come up with some memes and get 'em to catch on.

I think it's kind of funny that I've embraced the word wife so readily. After decades of using the term partner, we finally have legalized gay marriage and I've been proudly saying wife. But that's more "Finally Get To!" than anything else...

On our marriage form, I was "Partner A"-- they made the forms properly gender neutral.
===============================================
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
-- Leonard Cohen, "Anthem"

Offline Raell

• Family
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2016, 10:11:20 am »
I agree.
I am non-binary but willing to get by with female pronouns. Luckily, I've been living in Thailand since 2010, and they self-identify their preferred gender pronoun in each sentence.

But my ex-husband emailed me a few days ago and came out to me as non-binary female, so I'm having to deal with how to refer to him/her/zer/them.

Offline Raell

• Family
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2016, 08:06:49 am »
Padma,

First, your ungodly mother story is hilarious.

Second, I'm living in southern Thailand, and Thai seldom use pronouns at all. They refer to themselves and others with their nicknames, use age tags; elder (pee) or younger (nong), and children often refer to themselves as "noo" (mouse). Example: "Mouse drew this picture." Or "Elder didn't call me back."

People add a self-referencing gender tag to almost every sentence, to be polite.."cop" for men, and "kah" for females. People can change their tags at will during the day, as desired.

Tags: