News and Events > Bathroom News

Gender Bending and Bathroom Safety

(1/4) > >>

LostInTime:
LINK

In Lucy’s case, the bathroom door wasn’t necessarily the issue. It was the reaction of the people standing outside the bathroom that created the negative scene—one that quickly elevated. Lucy, a <transgender> female and Santa Cruz resident, was walking out of a bathroom at the Catalyst nightclub when a drunken man accosted her.

Lucy thinks it might have her height that made her stand out, or perhaps her large hands, but whatever the reason, after leaving the ladies room the man started screaming in her face, “You’re a man! You’re a man!”

The scene quickly escalated when Lucy confronted the man about his comments. The man’s girlfriend had to pull him away, as she apologized to Lucy and dragged him out of the nightclub. The staff at the Catalyst did nothing. In fact, they told Lucy, “You can go outside and call a cop, but you can’t use our phone.”

Melissa:
There were a couple of time before I ever considered transitioning I had to end up using the women's bathroom (single room).  The first time was at a gas station where they lost the key to the men's bathroom and the other was when I went on a fishing trip and nobody was around the bathrooms and it was all guys using them, so I voluteered to be the one to use the women's. ;D  I loved the idea both times, which is why I remember.

Melissa

LostInTime:
I had to switch over to the women's room a little early due to the confusion my presence was creating in the men's bathrooms.  however, many times I would just wait until I got home so that I would not have to risk having any type of confrontations.

Melissa:
Oh, I was umambiguously male looking when I did that.

Melissa

LostInTime:
I tried to, I really did.  LOL.  I remember hitting a truck stop and asking where the bathrooms were at and she directed me to the women's.  Here I thought I was decked out in my manly man clothes, LOL.  that consisted of a full length leather duster with a cape (makes it look like I have HUGE shoulders), gargoyle sunglasses, hair tied back, and what little hair I had on my face unshaved.  Oh and the male voice.  I used the men's room and when I walked out she just kinda looked at me funny. 

Until about 2 years before I transitioned, I did not have a lot of trouble but I was also keeping my hair shorter back then and I think that made a big difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version