Author Topic: Trans Marriage Poses Immigration Glitch  (Read 630 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Trans Marriage Poses Immigration Glitch
« on: April 20, 2007, 08:24:31 am »

Melissa, whose name has been changed to protect her identity, has legally changed her name and possesses a U.S. passport issued in her proper name and gender; she has licenses from two different states where she is correctly identified; she is recognized under her new name by the IRS for tax purposes and has been issued a new social security card in her female name.

But the Department of Immigration and Naturalization has denied her request to reissue her naturalization certificate with her female name and gender identity—a certificate she needs in order to sponsor her foreign-born husband for a green card.

Offline NC_Rose

  • Tess
  • Newbie
  • **
  • Posts: 43
  • Reputation: +2/-0
  • Gender: Female
  • Starting the adventure
Re: Trans Marriage Poses Immigration Glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:40:12 am »
This worries me, I am a naturalized citizen and my experience with INS has been good, but full of red tape. I think having your original certificate and proof of your change should be enough, but it may make the process longer.
"Long after one has forgotten what a woman wore, the memory of her perfume lingers."