General Discussions > Hobbies

Maths and Programming

<< < (2/4) > >>

Zumbagirl:

--- Quote from: Svea on January 16, 2013, 11:51:52 pm ---Hey, I am surprised this isn't a hobby that somebody has mentioned yet! Mathematics is my obsession and programming is what keeps me sane. I mostly program calculators, though. Computers are not my thing XD So, does anybody else enjoy these? I love to share my notes if anybody is interested :3

--- End quote ---

I am an engineer by education but I have always had a passion for math. I liked it because it always has 1 correct answer. I have a woman friend who is a math professor and we used to get together and work on math problems. Let me know your skill level and maybe we can do some mathematical Kung fu :)

Elspeth:
A lot of the biggest trans math and programming geekgrrls I've known transitioned decades ago, and are no longer active on trans support forums.  My trans son is more active on Tumblr and I can't get him to join in here, so far. He had an 800 math SAT, a fair bit of programming talent and interest, and hopes for a career in 3D animation and character design/development. I'm hoping with better programming resources in college that he may develop more of an interest in getting more deeply into the programming end of CG art and rendering, etc. since I'm hoping those are talents that will make him even more valued by the people he hopes to work for/with.

Zeda:

--- Quote from: Elspeth on January 17, 2013, 02:26:40 pm ---A lot of the biggest trans math and programming geekgrrls I've known transitioned decades ago, and are no longer active on trans support forums.  My trans son is more active on Tumblr and I can't get him to join in here, so far. He had an 800 math SAT, a fair bit of programming talent and interest, and hopes for a career in 3D animation and character design/development. I'm hoping with better programming resources in college that he may develop more of an interest in getting more deeply into the programming end of CG art and rendering, etc. since I'm hoping those are talents that will make him even more valued by the people he hopes to work for/with.

--- End quote ---
Wow, I hope he goes far o.o Programming becomes an art form when you have gone far enough into it. Also, an 800? I couldn't even touch that o.o


--- Quote from: Zumbagirl on January 17, 2013, 02:14:05 pm ---I am an engineer by education but I have always had a passion for math. I liked it because it always has 1 correct answer. I have a woman friend who is a math professor and we used to get together and work on math problems. Let me know your skill level and maybe we can do some mathematical Kung fu :)

--- End quote ---
Hehe, my skill level is kind of iffy. However, I am at the point where I see that there are sometimes multiple answers. It is scary when math starts acting up! I do enjoy manipulating the axioms, though :3 I have experience in Algebra, Trig, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Number Theory, Group Theory, Set Theory, Graph Theory, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis, fractal geometry, and chaos. Because of my programming, I really enjoy discrete mathematics, but by obsession, I enjoy the non-discrete stuff, too! I also gave a talk about the Riemann Zeta function and its role in the Riemann Hypothesis at a math conference and I gave a 70-minute presentation on cellular automata and I got to show off its uses in programming and simulation.

The funny/ironic thing is that I am actually not particularly good at math. I basically have this obsesses part of my brain that just keeps shoving me through the math to devour more. I am basically a C average student and it takes a while for things to click for me. I tend to work through one course, then study something completely unrelated on my own time, then after a few months or years it clicks. Of course, last semester was my best semester of college so far, grade-wise, so I actually had a B+ in my math stuff.

Whenever somebody wants to buy me a gift, I suggest notebooks because I fill them up with math o.o There are some wild things in there :D I like this simple thing that I came up with:

That was after several years of working on a problem and its many branches. Dozens of notebooks filled, just to come up with a cool thing like that. If you replace 'a' with Euler's number, there is a cool identity with the Bernoulli numbers -- The sum of the first set divided by the sum of the second second set is equal to... Euler's number! The only difference in either set is that B1 is +1/2 in the first and -1/2 in the second. Since this is basically U/(U-1)=e where U is the sum of the first Bernoulli numbers, you can find that:
U/(U-1)=e
U=e(U-1)
U=eU-e
U-eU=-e
U(e-1)=e
U=e/(e-1)

So the sum of the Bernoulli numbers can be expressed in terms of e :D I had no clue what the Bernoulli numbers were until a few months ago when I accidentally stumbled upon them. I recognised the sequence of numbers and knew it was it when 5/66 appeared :3

Emily Aster:

--- Quote from: Zeda on January 18, 2013, 01:40:07 am ---The funny/ironic thing is that I am actually not particularly good at math. I basically have this obsesses part of my brain that just keeps shoving me through the math to devour more. I am basically a C average student and it takes a while for things to click for me. I tend to work through one course, then study something completely unrelated on my own time, then after a few months or years it clicks. Of course, last semester was my best semester of college so far, grade-wise, so I actually had a B+ in my math stuff.

--- End quote ---

That sounds like me in a way. I always tell people that I learn very slow, but I master very quickly. I focus on the foundation, which usually ends up taking longer to learn because I don't learn the shortcuts. Once I have that learned, mastery is pretty easy because everything else can be derived. I also need to know the purpose behind something or I won't get it. I almost failed Geometry and Trigonometry. Everytime I tried to ask what the heck the purpose of this <not allowed> was (mainly the proofs), the teacher didn't seem to want me to know, or they didn't know lol. Calculus brought them all together and I aced that because I finally knew why I needed to know the other two.

Elspeth:

--- Quote from: Zeda on January 18, 2013, 01:40:07 am ---Wow, I hope he goes far o.o Programming becomes an art form when you have gone far enough into it. Also, an 800? I couldn't even touch that o.o

--- End quote ---

I'm sure the credit goes mainly to my ex, who had a 1600 combined score, back when there were only two components. My youngest daughter just got back PSAT scores that predict her math SAT should also be an 800 when she takes it (knock wood). Mine were very good (720, I think) but then again, I didn't take any math my senior year, because I'd run out of classes to take in my troglodyte high school, and the only thing I was offered as a supplement was a Cobol class over 100 miles away.  I wasn't especially interested in Cobol at the time. (And this was mainframe days so it really would have been a slog for very little benefit).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version