Poll

If the option is given in RPGs and FPSs, what gender do you play

Same as my true gender.
Same as my birth sex.
Other, please explain.

Author Topic: In game Gender Dysphoria  (Read 38413 times)

Angela Drakken

Re: In game Gender Dysphoria
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2016, 09:24:41 am »
My answer used to always be, "I just get so tired of following a dude and felt like following a female around the game was more to my liking. 'Cause which one would you want to see more? The dude or the girl?" But, even when I would play male characters, I would eventually make them more feminine and they ended up looking gender neutral or like a brawny female, anyway. I just choose female characters, now, because I identify with them more than the male ones. I'm already out to my wife, so she understands. Haven't told the kiddos yet, but they've asked about it and I tell them that I just like the female characters more. They seem to take it for what it is.

I *HATED* having to make excuses for it. All the feels for you =(

Online Ellement_of_Freedom

• Friend
« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2016, 07:27:08 pm »
but I've gone so far as to sometimes use female voice modulation in VOIP in games because I *HATE* the way I sound..
Is that actually convincing?
"...and the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom."
This is the Element of Freedom.
- Alicia Keys

"I didn't realise who I was until I stopped being who I wasn't." - Sri Gawn Tu Fahr

Angela Drakken

« Reply #262 on: November 27, 2016, 10:03:22 am »
Is that actually convincing?

YUPPERS. :3 The default modulation sucks, but there are ways to 'tweak' it for a more clear and natural sound.

Offline Korra-

• Neighbor
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »
from as far back as 16 ive always played as a girl character.  playing as a guy made me feel uncomfortable which I now realize was dysphoria. playing as a girl character woukd feel right and comfortable.

Offline Sephirah

• Family
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2016, 05:25:00 pm »
There are very, very few games in which I would play through the game as a male character. Very few. Off the top of my head I can think of only six : Uncharted 4 and The Last Of Us, because Naughty Dog put so much heart and soul into their characters that you know from the outset that you're a spectator, playing someone else. There's really no vestige of yourself that you can inject into Nathan Drake or Joel, because they're so beautifully written and well rounded.

Then there are Cloud, Squall and Tidus from Final Fantasy VII, VIII and X respectively. This is more of a grey area, and I only would play them because of the strong female characters in those games I could more readily identify with. Most notably Aerith/Aeris Gainsborough, Rinoa Heartily and Lulu. One of the reasons I am so disappointed with Final Fantasy XV and have not bought it is because of the Bromance they have going on in that game. It doesn't appeal to me, at all.

And finally Isaac Clarke, from the original Dead Space game. Because... well, because that game is just so amazing it's more about the game than the character.

Pretty much every other game I tend to pass over unless there is some sort of character creator where I can spend an unhealthy amount of time creating an avatar more closely resembling myself. Partly out of a need for self expression, but also because in a lot of games with a male protagonist, I do not like the stereotypical way they see the world and interact with other characters within it. Games where you can create your own character tend to be a lot more careful in the way your character reacts to the world. Because the developers have to be a lot more neutral since they do not have the time to code different male and female responses. This is not perfect, but it's better than walking around sounding like you just had a steroid shake and a session at the nearest lap dancing club.

Offline Selena

« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »
I've always played as a female. I don't really play multi-player so I can do whatever I want without having to justify anything. I only play male when I am playing a game where male is the only choice (IE deep storyline like Final Fantasy), or when I want to do male only storyline points (romance dialogues). It doesn't really bother me to play as a male in a game, but when given the option, I will choose female.

I'm not sure if it's been posted in this thread, but one of the most interesting items I've ever found in a video game was the "Belt of Feminity/Masculinity" in Baldurs gate. When you put it on it changes the gender of your character. Everything else stays the same. 10 year old me became obsessed with making male characters and seeking out the belt in every playthrough. Looking back, it makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Offline Viktor

• Family
« Reply #266 on: December 22, 2016, 12:04:07 pm »
what gender do you play?

C.

Whichever looks cooler if I'm going to be staring at this character's back for 60 hours.

In Mass Effect I usually go femShep. In Skyrim I usually play a dude, etc.

Tags: dysphoria RPG FPS