General Discussions > Other

Voudon

(1/3) > >>

Fer:
Do you believe that voodoo is evil? Why so many people give voodoo such a bad reputation?  Do they not realize that its a actual religion with roots older than Christianity or they are just buying into Hollywoods perception of it?

katia:
ha ha ha no, i don't think it's evil. hollywood did have a lot to do with voodoo being seen as an evil practice. voodoo dolls, zombies, etc.  also, voodoo was practiced mainly by slaves, so it got a very bad rap from the beginning. anything associated with black people was dubbed ignorant, evil, ungodly, and profane. it's very unfortunate but it's a stigma that will probably never be completely removed.

Pysgod:

--- Quote from: Fer on May 22, 2007, 01:33:08 pm ---Do you believe that voodoo is evil? Why so many people give voodoo such a bad reputation?  Do they not realize that its a actual religion with roots older than Christianity or they are just buying into Hollywoods perception of it?

--- End quote ---

Actually it's based off of older African practices with a bit of Christianity thrown in. The Orishas are African Gods that people remembered and spread. While the ritual practices have Catholicism and some other stuff mixed.

David W. Shelton:
I'm curious... there was an episode of Dresden which talked about voodoo dolls. Of course, it was the usual "evil" dribble...

Since that's unquestionably "hollywood," what would you consider to be the genuine article?

tinkerbell:
Voodoo is a very well-respected religion in some African and a few Latin American countries.  Pesonally I believe that it can be used for good and evil.  However, like everything else in this glorious world of ours, it seems to be that things have been blown out way out of proportion due to Hollwood movies and the ignorance of some people.

tink :icon_chick:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version