General Discussions > Other

Voudon

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jeannette:
Voodoo is a religion that came from European folk magic but has nothing to do with Satanism, which comes from Abrahamic traditions. When a person from voodoo talks about satanism, he is referring to the social pain that comes from racism and not the devil.  I agree with you, Fer, on your statement that the dark reputation does not come from reality but rather from Hollywood movies.

Fer:

--- Quote from: Jeannette on May 23, 2007, 02:20:07 am ---Voodoo is a religion that came from European folk magic but has nothing to do with Satanism, which comes from Abrahamic traditions.

--- End quote ---

Yes it not only exists, it thrives. I practice Haitian based Voudon. Voudon is, in fact, an afro-caribean based religion that is an ancient and viable spiritual belief system. It has many adherents and is a far cry from Hollywoods misleading and usually inaccurate interpretations. There are, in fact, positive and powerful aspects within its mysteries.  Datura, for instance, is a herb used in some of the darker aspects of voudoun in Haiti and when a topical powder is introduced into or onto the skin of a zombie it brings about death like corpse like symptoms.  So, we do have a ritual of Zombification, however it is not the bringing back of the dead in the horror films, but a way to enslave a man by holding his soul after poisoning him with herbs such as datura.

Voodoo dolls are a form of sympathetic magic. the doll or poppet would represent a person. it was mainly used to help heal someone. They are, however, not part of the Voodoo religion at all.  The idea of the dolls goes way back further to the older religions especially the European ones where the Witch would use the image of a person as a substitute for the person to cause pain or to control them. It still continues, but is classed more as Black Magic than Voodoo.

Pysgod:

--- Quote from: Fer on May 26, 2007, 12:36:34 pm ---
--- Quote from: Jeannette on May 23, 2007, 02:20:07 am ---Voodoo is a religion that came from European folk magic but has nothing to do with Satanism, which comes from Abrahamic traditions.

--- End quote ---

Yes it not only exists, it thrives. I practice Haitian based Voudon. Voudon is, in fact, an afro-caribean based religion that is an ancient and viable spiritual belief system. It has many adherents and is a far cry from Hollywoods misleading and usually inaccurate interpretations. There are, in fact, positive and powerful aspects within its mysteries.  Datura, for instance, is a herb used in some of the darker aspects of voudoun in Haiti and when a topical powder is introduced into or onto the skin of a zombie it brings about death like corpse like symptoms.  So, we do have a ritual of Zombification, however it is not the bringing back of the dead in the horror films, but a way to enslave a man by holding his soul after poisoning him with herbs such as datura.

Voodoo dolls are a form of sympathetic magic. the doll or poppet would represent a person. it was mainly used to help heal someone. They are, however, not part of the Voodoo religion at all.  The idea of the dolls goes way back further to the older religions especially the European ones where the Witch would use the image of a person as a substitute for the person to cause pain or to control them. It still continues, but is classed more as Black Magic than Voodoo.

--- End quote ---

I somehow get the feeling your from New Orleans possibly. Or at least somewhere in that area. Anyways I was always under the impression that the drug used made it seem like the person was dead. The relatives would bury them and then they would be dug up later and revived. Except the drug made them lose memory and basically put them in a zombie like state.

Fer:
No, I am originally from Denmark but live in the UK.  I have been to the States a couple of times in the past, not precisely New Orleans though. ;)

Intertween:
I agree that voodoo is not evil.

Wasn't the fear of voodoo (at least partly) responsible for the overthrow of slavery in Haiti? Can't be all bad.

-- Sue

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version