General Discussions > Hinduism

reincarnation

<< < (3/4) > >>

Dorothy:
I dont know.  The idea of reincarnation seems to be that you return to earth in a new body to learn the lessons you failed to learn the first time. The problem I have with that is, no one remembers the previous lives, so how are they supposed to learn from them?  Most people rely upon hypnosis to do this, but I dont think it counts.  There have been many instances where people have remembered their past lives while being hypnotized, but my point of view is that those are false memories that are created while they are being coached.   Look up cryptomnesia to see how that works. If someone had lived as an Egyptian in a past life, for example, then they should be able to speak Egyptian under hypnosis, but they cant.

Kimberly:
While reincarnation can be about failure to learn stuff previous, it can also be about new things, both fun and not so fun. *shrug* Think of life as a school; Each reincarnation is a new semester full of new classes. Some are repeats of things you may need/want brushed up on; Some are fun things you've enjoyed in the past, an some are just down right new things never before experienced.

*shrug*

That is the reincarnation I know anyway.

But this said, not everyone is oblivious to lives past lived. This is one of the reasons I speak with such certainty. I remember more than most, I always have. Heck, made a point to for that matter. That is not good or special it simply is. It taints my perspective and influences my life.

But that said I am a bit iffy on past life regression, although I have heard/read of fairly convincing examples. Myself, personally, I've never tried nor thought to try such. ... An truthfully, most people use meditation for such. Which, in my opinion is a good/valid way. Presuming you know how and can meditate anyway.

In your example of language the references I've mentioned above (quite a while ago really I guess) had both language and accurate historical recorded facts. *shrug* I suppose it is where one chooses to look and what to trust.

That said, trust yourself, just be certain you know what you are doing first. Trust yourself does not really mean trust the human that is you right now, but rather the deep self that is you. "soul" or whatever if you prefer. YOU. I know most are oblivious to that but you may find it if you look. In theory anyway, I am not you after all. I can't very well tell you how to run yourself, but thankfully YOU already know...

*shrug* This is a topic I find to be fun and at times enlightening. Please think nothing of it if I tend to carry on a bit.

Blessed Be.

Melissa-kitty:
I meditated on past lives several years back. Saw and experienced some remarkable things, and some things that freaked me out. Try being raped and murdered as a 12yo girl. It stopped me from looking. It did possibly explain some bodily quirks that I have, that are related to past injuries, or maybe those past injuries in my present life contributed to my building a life-story around them. I have spoken Russian in my sleep, that I don't have any but minimal knowledge of, awake. I guess that I don't think that past lives are all that important. What's important is THIS life. This time around. I really don't want to do all this stuff again.
Blessings, Tara

Jeannette:
I'm a Christian, and have never really believed in reincarnation, or thought much about it. I realize that most Christians believe that there is no reincarnation within Christianity.  Personally I think there are many problems with the salvation-by works doctrine of reincarnation. First, there are many practical problems. For instance:
1. We must ask, why does one get punished for something he or she cannot remember having done in a previous life?
2. If the purpose of karma is to rid humanity of its selfish desires, then why hasn't there been a noticeable improvement in human nature after all the millennial of reincarnations?
3. If reincarnation and the law of karma are so beneficial on a practical level, then how do advocates of this doctrine explain the immense and ever-worsening social and economic problems, including widespread poverty, starvation, disease, and horrible suffering in India, where reincarnation has been systematically taught through out its history?

There are also many biblical problems with believing in reincarnation. For example, in 2 Corinthians 5:8 the apostle Paul states, "We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." At death, the Christian immediately goes into the presence of the Lord, not into another body. In keeping with this. Luke 16:19-31 tells us that unbelievers at death go to a place of suffering, not into another body.
Further, Hebrews 9:27 assures us that "man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment." Each human being lives once as a mortal on earth, dies once, and then faces judgement . He does not have a second chance by reincarnating into another body. 

But can't God do anything he wants? Including re-using souls? ;)

cindianna_jones:

--- Quote --- If the purpose of karma is to rid humanity of its selfish desires, then why hasn't there been a noticeable improvement in human nature after all the millennial of reincarnations?
--- End quote ---

I would venture to suggest that this question could be asked of any religious faith.  Is humanity any better for it?  I really don't know the answer.

I'll tell you what I think has made humanity better... more than anything else in known history and that is instant communication.  We see what's happening around the world in real time. We can communicate with anyone.  The pressure of the population forms government opinion all over the world.  So... has the internet become a religion?  I swear... I wonder sometimes.

Oh.. . reincarnation?  It has as much merit as any other belief.  It may well have more believers than anything else.

If there is reincarnation, I still want to come back as a planet!  How would it seem to be a "mother earth"?

Cindi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version