General Discussions > Hinduism

reincarnation

<< < (4/4)

Fer:
I have had to rethink and readjust my own beliefs due to some quite compelling evidence I have researched on reincarnation.  People who had no previous knowledge of people and places , and yet quite accurately describe them in detail.  I have seen one where a woman from Africa was describing the hall way to a university here in the UK , when she attended back in the early 1900s.  Only in going through old archives of the floor plan , did they know about this old hall way , which hadnt been used in something like 50 years or so and had been since covered up.  I previously believed that all spirit live on and progress through the spirit realms; now I have had to come to the conclusion that , some may decide to come back for whatever reason.

There is also more proof of reincarnation from children in the modern age who have accurately described former family, towns that they apparently lived in and the description of cities that had to be found by archaeologists, than there is in factual proof that the bible is more than a fictional account of what the leaders of obscure religious sects wanted their followers to do.

Yet, even though present day Christians deny that reincarnation exists, reincarnation was accepted by the ancient Jews as a fact of life, the same as it was by early Christians, and there are lots of references to the possibility of reincarnation in the new testament. At least there is for those who know how to read, and to not accept their religious leaders words as fact.

The Middle Way:

--- Quote from: Katia on May 30, 2007, 07:27:48 pm ---i've been thinking about this thread ;).  i've come to the conclusion that reincarnation is possible, but it presupposes the existence of a soul that is separate from the physical body. as an atheist, i see no evidence that leads me to believe this to be true.  of course, the energy encompassed in the matter that is [me] will go to the fire that consumes my body or the life forms that decompose it; i suppose that could be a form of [reincarnation].

--- End quote ---

If you look closer into a *school of metaphysical enquiry* that derives from (a more pure form of) and is an extension of Hinduism (Buddhism) you will find that the thought is that this dichotomy of soul vs material is said to be a false duality.

What this indicates to me is that mind is an imprint upon brain, conferred with karma/intention and action. That the thing you call soul, which you doubt (according to your conditioning, like everything else, the conditioned imprint, which may go back a ways), is not separate from its material. One is imbued with the other, in a cycle which only ends when we attain absolute consciousness.

See my speculations in "mind/energy" over to the other playground.  ^-^

Nota

Posted on: July 24, 2007, 08:39:45 AM
--- Quote --- If the purpose of karma is to rid humanity of its selfish desires, then why hasn't there been a noticeable improvement in human nature after all the millennial of reincarnations?
--- End quote ---
The purpose of karma is not purposeful; it simply is natural law, aka intention and action, what goes around comes around, and ties in with the universal Golden Rule.

The purpose of the consideration of karma is instructive and does intend to eventually get rid of all suffering, in the other Dharmic religion called Buddhism; Time in Hinduism is cyclic (and not linear) and the larger cycle in human terms (a deity's time is according to a far far grander scale) has ages, like epochs. We are in the last big earth-time cycle called Kali Yuga according to this thought, which means the age of the Kali, a MtF deity, the devourer of time, the destroyer of worlds, an age of advancing corruption, which each cycle ends with a rebirth and the slate is clean, again. So that's the Hindu idea. Which indicates that per human nature, it is after all nature, which is entropic, and has limits, and decays before it is clean.

Buddhist consideration of karma has another take on how we get free of the wheel of samsara, the merry go round of birth and death and rebirth.

Thundra:
1. We must ask, why does one get punished for something he or she cannot remember having done in a previous life?

If you knew what had happened in your previous lives while in a new incarnation, than it would render your free will moot. Therefore, as a soul, you agree to come into the world under certain conditions. You are destined to meet certain people, because you prearranged it. But, because you have free will in this life, you may or may not follow thru on those desires when you get here.

The idea that we have to come back to correct something is a very christian ideal. It is based on dichotomous thought ~ the idea that everything is either good or bad. Often, we agree to come here for the simple life experience. Whether you view that experience as good or bad, it is your experience.

2. If the purpose of karma is to rid humanity of its selfish desires, then why hasn't there been a noticeable improvement in human nature after all the millennial of reincarnations?

Have you noticed that there are a lot more of us now than before? That is a lot of souls seeking out their own way. As we progress thru our incarnations, we tend to move from the banal and physical, to the intrinsic and instinctual. That which is pleasureable for it's own sake, not out of some value applied by the social dogma of the time.

3. If reincarnation and the law of karma are so beneficial on a practical level, then how do advocates of this doctrine explain the immense and ever-worsening social and economic problems, including widespread poverty, starvation, disease, and horrible suffering in India, where reincarnation has been systematically taught through out its history?

On a practical physical level, or on a practical spiritual level? Most of the beneficial things we learn about life come thru pain and suffering, not thru instant gratification, or the accumulation of material goods. Those that are materially comfortable tend to overlook the basic beauty and value of life. Perhaps those we view as suffering are better off than all of the people in the civilized world. They often tend to be more content and centered, even in their suffering. Whereas people that are materially wealthy seem to never be happy or satisfied in their lives.

Christianity seems to me, to operate on a value added system, whereas those that believe in karma and reincarnation tend to believe in more of a value neutral system. Christians seem to need to know that they are happier than thou, whereas I simply need to know that I am happy, and no one else has anything to do with it.

OlivierDeSillegue:
I am sorry to reanimating a topic that hasn't had replies in a while, but I feel that I need to speak my opinion on this subject.

Reincarnation is something that is very real to me. Although I have never been tested or underwent any form of hypnosis, I still have very vivid memories of living in the past. Formerly, I was known as Armand de Sillègue d'Autevielle d'Athos. I was born on May 24 1623 and I died sometimes in September of 1645, in the Pré-au-Clerc in Paris. Over the past ten years or so, I've had more and more memories of this time, my parents, my older brother, and my role as a musketeer of the King.

To me, this is very real, very lived. I still identify with this former identity and I will change my name to reflect this reality. It has nothing to do with any kind of religion, I don't care about repaying for any kind of bad deed, I'm not trying to debate about the purpose of cycles. It just is for me.

I have tried to discuss this in another website, but I didn't get any kind of response for it. I'm really hoping that I will be able to share about it more here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version