Author Topic: Maine birth certificates?  (Read 1170 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Charlizard

  • Newbie
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Reputation: +1/-0
Maine birth certificates?
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:12:31 am »
Anybody from Maine had their birth certificate changed? I was born there, though I haven't lived there since I was one. Have all my other crap updated, but I've been shying away from the birth certificate because all the information I can find about it is super mixed.

Can anyone confirm what this page says to be correct and current? How did you go about doing this? Does the new birth certificate have your old information on it, or?? Any help would be awesome.

Offline Flan

  • Fur Administrator
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3,740
  • Reputation: +71/-0
  • Sitting in ur boxes
Re: Maine birth certificates?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:09:55 am »
To quote from lambada legal:
Statute: Me. Rev. Stat. Ann. tit 22, § 2705 (2005).

Text: 1. Amended certificate. A certificate that has been altered or amended after its filing must be marked "amended," and the date on which the certificate or record was amended and a summary description of the evidence submitted in support of the correction must be endorsed on the record or permanently attached to it. Any certified copies of certificates or records amended under this section must be marked "amended." Notwithstanding this subsection, administrative correction of clerical errors within one year after the date of filing does not cause the certificate or record to be considered altered or amended.

Notes: The Office of Vital Records will issue an amended birth certificate upon the order of the local probate court and the payment of a fee. Applicants must submit to the court an Application for Correction and a letter from the treating physician verifying that the surgery/treatment has been "completed." The Office of Vital Records may issue a new certificate with no indication of the changes made.

Summary: Maine will issue a birth certificate reflecting the proper sex.
In short the idea is there but it's a bit out of date. Changes are done through the court system as far as I know and the fee is $60, not $25.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.