General Discussions > Sewing and Knitting

FTMs into crafts?

(1/5) > >>

BeefxCake:
Sometimes i felt like the only anchor i had to being a girl was my hobby in the crocheting/knitting/cute <not allowed> hobbys i had.
i like cute stuff, what can i say. i would never wear something super frilly or girly but making things like hats and stuff for my friends is awesome. i'd take my crocheting into classes and other places. I draw things like this: [Link Removed]  is one of the people you encounter in the game. he walks around like the biggest tough guy in the game. you soon find out he knits as a hobby in secret. (he doesn't want to be ridiculed by others for his 'girly hobby') as the game progresses he get's feelings for an FTM named naoto. anyway, i won't go too into details about him but basically he just wants to be able to make his cute stuff and not be seen as weak or girly, which really changed how i saw my hobby. as it was, just a hobby, i didn't hve to be a girl to do it. and thus more questioning of my gender came after and whatnot. i shouldn't let a game affect me so deeply OTL. but if you've ever played it you know what it does to you... persona man, deep stuff...

anyway rant aside, how many FTMs out there knit and or crochet or sew? do you feel demasculated by your hobby? or is it just something you do and don't think anything about wether or not it makes you feel womanly or manly or whathaveyou.

SaveMeJeebus:

--- Quote from: BeefxCake on July 31, 2013, 05:06:22 am ---anyway rant aside, how many FTMs out there knit and or crochet or sew? do you feel demasculated by your hobby? or is it just something you do and don't think anything about wether or not it makes you feel womanly or manly or whathaveyou.

--- End quote ---

I should ask this question to the guy i know.

I understand where you are coming from, but you said yourself, you shouldn't let a game -heck, anyone convince you what you do or don't do is 'girl' or 'manly' thing. I think it's admiring seeing people doing things that's "odd". I saw a picture of a guy knitting on the train the other day, that's freaking awesome.

For what it's worth, i don't knit, crochet, or sew, but i am tempted to give it a try one day.

BeefxCake:
it's good fun, it's nice o see somethin you've made and be able to say, hey i made that and it's functional and it ooks great.

i did make it sound like i was influenced by a game but i think my pointwas is my eyes were opened to the possibities that happen in the world. it could have been anyone, heck that guy you saw on the train coulda made the same revelation to me as the character i mentioned because i'd never seen it before.  i ust make a big deal of fictional characteres motly cuz im just not that social XD

DriftingCrow:
I knit, sew, spin yarn (I am such a weirdo lol, but I am saving all of my dog's fur that comes out when I brush her, I plan to spin it one day. She's a Pomeranian and wicked soft, it'll be an awesome sweater or hat or whatever one day), crochet, dye fabrics (super fun!), every once in a great while I needle-point. . .

yeah, a lot of "girly hobbies".

I don't really think much about gender with my hobbies, since knitting/crocheting used to be men's work (back on the fishing boats), women just took it to the next level. I also just really enjoy doing these sorts of hobbies, because I like how far back the history goes with them, its like a modern-day connection with the past. I think its interesting how we do something (like knitting) for fun nowadays while women used to have to do it for work/survival.

Nero:
Oddly enough, I'm just getting interested in crafts and stuff - interior decorating, making stuff, fashion (I'm due to take a sewing class next month (never sewn so much as a button in my life).
I don't know what it is. Never was remotely interested when living as a girl.
It took me several years after transition to admit I was interested in trying fashion design. The whole 'non-manly' aspect and all. Still not sure how I feel about it. I'm just taking a couple classes to see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version