General Discussions > Sewing and Knitting

Crochet - how to get started?

(1/2) > >>

KabitTarah:
Before I came out I was into knot tying, paracord stuff, etc.
I understand Crochet is very similar... one of my goals is to make a necklace to hold my wedding ring (since it appears it's not going to last all that much longer  :( ).

Where's the best place to get started in crochet? Is it very difficult, especially to make some sort of lace necklace or the like?

Beth Andrea:
I don't crochet, but like all things, learn basic skills first, don't try brain surgery on the first project.

I know they sell starter books at hobby/fabric stores, and of course YouTube should have videos on it...also when getting a book, talk to the clerks, they may know what is needed initially.

Hope someone here can help more than I can, good luck with this!

:)

prettypoly86:
I learned to knit before I learned to crochet,  and that was just cobbled from youtube videos and google searches.  I agree with picking something basic,  and just learning the process to start.

Something that might give you the look you want is needle tatting.  I have recently learned needle tatting,  and while I am very much a beginner here, the basics are very simple and create some very lovely results.  I know I've seen pages with jewelry,  and the patterns were no more complicated than the bookmarks and snowflakes I'm practicing on.

KabitTarah:

--- Quote from: prettypoly86 on August 24, 2013, 01:03:19 pm ---I learned to knit before I learned to crochet,  and that was just cobbled from youtube videos and google searches.  I agree with picking something basic,  and just learning the process to start.

Something that might give you the look you want is needle tatting.  I have recently learned needle tatting,  and while I am very much a beginner here, the basics are very simple and create some very lovely results.  I know I've seen pages with jewelry,  and the patterns were no more complicated than the bookmarks and snowflakes I'm practicing on.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Tatting actually looks a lot closer to the rougher knot tying crafts than crochet.

Once you know what you're doing... how long does a medium size project take (in any of these crafts)? I remember my grandmother taking months to knit a kid's sweater.

prettypoly86:
It took me about two weeks to complete a mid-sized doily,  and that was with me tatting at work.  I'm working on a knitted project now- a blanket for my son- and it has taken me a week to get a quarter of the way through.   I think it really comes down to how comfortable you are with the pattern and how much time you can devote to the project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version