Community Conversation > Intersex talk

xx fathers

(1/3) > >>

Nero:
ok, just got this from something lisbeth said, but didn't want to thread hijack.
if a family had a dozen daughters and half or more turned out to be ftm trans, could that possibly mean he couldn't 'make' boys? are there any other conditions besides xx fathers that could cause this?

Dennis:
There are indications in studies that there are other genes that contribute to "brain sex", so it could be other than the XY chromosomes.

Dennis

Jessica:

--- Quote ---...if a family had a dozen daughters and half or more turned out to be ftm trans, could that possibly mean he couldn't 'make' boys? are there any other conditions besides xx fathers...
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure what you mean.

Excluding technologies involving DNA extraction and insertion into a cell, a genetically XX individual is incapable of spermatogenesis and therefore can not be, biologically, a paternal donor.

If he is chromosomally XX, he is incapable of making boys by virtue of the fact that he can not pass on a "Y" to any potential children because he does not possess one.

The SRY gene is responsible for spermatogenesis and is located on the Y chromosome.

I guess I don't understand what you are asking.

I always thought it was ironic that the name of that gene was SRY (I pronounce it 'Sorry'... it's someone's way of apologizing for doing this to me.)

Nero:
well, jessica. i don't know a whole lot about this stuff. i just wondered if an xx father had only girls and some were ftm trans, if his condition caused them to be born female because he could'nt make girls. maybe what makes TS has nothing to do with that at all. just curious.

Emily_P:
If a man was xx and fertile he could probably produce both male and female children.  The only way you could have a fertile xx male would be for genes on the y to cross over to the x.  Any child he passed on his mutated x to would also be male.  I do not think that if a person is trans or not would be affected by this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version