General Discussions > Science

The Female & Male Psyche

(1/4) > >>

Anatta:
Kia Ora,

Interesting article...

From a 2008 article Psychology Today "The Scientific Fundamentalist"

Research in evolutionary psychology and related fields has uncovered the distinct ways that men’s minds and women’s minds operate.

The male brain is characterized by systemizing tendencies (to use Baron-Cohen’s term) and mechanistic thinking (to use Crespi and Badcock’s term). “Systemizing” is the drive to analyze, explore, and construct a system. The systemizer intuitively figures out how things work, or extracts the underlying rules that govern the behavior of a system. The purpose of this is to understand and predict the system, or to invent a new one.

In contrast, the female brain is characterized by empathizing tendencies (to use Baron-Cohen’s term) or mentalistic thinking (to use Crespi and Badcock’s term). “Empathizing” is the drive to identify another person’s emotions and thoughts, and to respond to them with an appropriate emotion. Empathizing occurs when we feel an appropriate emotional reaction in response to the other person’s emotions. The purpose of this is to understand another person, to predict his or her behavior, and to connect or resonate with him or her emotionally.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200803/male-brain-vs-female-brain-i

The male brain tends toward systemizing and mechanistic thinking, treating other people as if they were logical systems or machines. If you take this tendency to an extreme, you would treat everyone as if they were machines without minds or feelings. That, according to Baron-Cohen, is the essence of autism, which he calls “mindblindness.” Mindblind people (autistics) are blind to other people’s minds or emotions. In fact, they don’t even know that other people have minds separate from their own; autistics tend to assume that other people know and think exactly what they do. Baron-Cohen’s notion of autism as the extreme male brain explains why an overwhelming majority of autistics (four out of five) are men and there are relatively few female autistics (although, once again, there are exceptions to the general pattern; there is an occasional

The female brain tends toward empathizing and mentalizing thinking, treating machines and objects as if they were other people. They attribute minds, thoughts, and feelings to inanimate objects. That, according to Crespi and Badcock, is the essence of paranoid schizophrenia. Paranoid schizophrenics hear voices where there are no people, and they attribute minds and thinking where none exist, such as when they believe other people are talking about or conspiring against them when they aren’t. Paranoid schizophrenics are hypermentalistic, and overinfer minds and emotions in other people, just as autistics are hypomentalistic, and underinfer minds and emotions in other people.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200803/male-brain-vs-female-brain-ii-what-is-extreme-male-brain-w

Do you fit neatly into the box ? Or are you somewhere in between ?

Metta Zenda :)

LordKAT:
An apt description for me. I find people confusing and can't read them as well as my friends, male or female. The need to know how something works is always there and once I know, I can do anything with it.

peky:
psychology mumble jumbo

Ms Grace:

--- Quote from: Anatta on November 16, 2013, 01:41:30 pm ---The purpose of this is to understand another person, to predict his or her behavior, and to connect or resonate with him or her emotionally.
The female brain tends toward empathizing and mentalizing thinking, treating machines and objects as if they were other people. They attribute minds, thoughts, and feelings to inanimate objects.

--- End quote ---
Guilty as charged!

Anatta:

--- Quote from: peky on November 16, 2013, 02:54:31 pm ---psychology mumble jumbo

--- End quote ---

Kia Ora Peky,

::) That would depend on how one defines 'mumbo jumbo'

1:  an object of superstitious homage and fear
2a :  a complicated often ritualistic observance with elaborate trappings
b :  complicated activity or language usually intended to obscure and confuse
3:  unnecessarily involved and incomprehensible language :

Quote from article on 'Generalisation'

"There are many individual exceptions to any empirical generalization, but exceptions do not invalidate generalizations. For example, there are many women who are taller than the average man, and there are many men who are shorter than the average woman. But the generalization “Men are on average taller than women” is still valid. Similarly, not all men have a strong male brain, and not all women have a strong female brain, but there are average differences between men and women, and men are far more likely to have the male brain and women are far more likely to have the female brain".

So is it 'all' just mumbo jumbo? Do you have something to back up your opposition to their findings Peky...

If so please enlighten members with your research and findings that dispute the contents of the article in question...

However I have to take into account this might be just your personal observation sans scientific backing...

BTW Nice to see you back Peky and keeping me on my toes  ;) ;D

Metta Zenda :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version