General Discussions > Science

How Do I Read These PH Strips?

(1/2) > >>

DriftingCrow:
I bought these pH strips on Amazon, but I can't figure out how to read them. I thought it would be simple, just dip the strip in, wait for it to dry a little and then match the boxes up with the ones on the container. However, there's four boxes on the strips, and all of them give a different reading. So, my reading is anywhere between 5 and 12.  ??? That's a huge difference.

The comments on Amazon aren't too helpful on figuring out which box to read, and on-line when I google it, all the strips shown only have two boxes.

sandrauk:
you read all four boxes together the top one is for ph 0-4 the second is for ph 5-9 third ph 10-12.
It's to make it more accurate

DriftingCrow:

--- Quote from: sandrauk on December 10, 2013, 09:25:53 am ---you read all four boxes together the top one is for ph 0-4 the second is for ph 5-9 third ph 10-12.
It's to make it more accurate

--- End quote ---

Then what's the 4th box for?

musicofthenight:

--- Quote from: LearnedHand on December 10, 2013, 08:07:03 am ---So, my reading is anywhere between 5 and 12.

--- End quote ---

The four boxes each have a different pH-indicator chemical and have to be matched with the corresponding scale.  So, if you dip one in water, the colors should be orange/olive/yellow/red-orange.  Call those boxes 1-4 in that order.  Between pH 5 and 8, box 2 will change the most (orange-olive-purple), and between pH 8 and 12 box 3 will change yellow to red.

Is that how you're reading it?

sandrauk:

--- Quote from: LearnedHand on December 10, 2013, 09:36:12 am ---Then what's the 4th box for?

--- End quote ---
er.... ph13-14

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version