General Discussions > Buddhism

Buddhism-Summed Up In One Word

<< < (2/7) > >>

Jill F:
OK, I'll bite on this one.  I read a lot about Buddhism once upon a time, and have incorporated elements of it into my unique take on things.  In light of the fact that one word that sums it up to me does not quite exist in the English language, I will make one up. (And it's still far from perfect.)

Antiego

Anatta:

--- Quote from: Jill F on January 07, 2014, 03:56:06 pm ---OK, I'll bite on this one.  I read a lot about Buddhism once upon a time, and have incorporated elements of it into my unique take on things.  In light of the fact that one word that sums it up to me does not quite exist in the English language, I will make one up. (And it's still far from perfect.)

Antiego

--- End quote ---

Kia Ora Jill,

Another good oneworder to your credit...

However you might find this quote from a Zen teaching of interest :"One is simple one's experience.Ones ego is the abstraction from these experiences. Ones ego should be viewed as a "convenient" analytic device!"

Metta Zenda :)

DriftingCrow:
Before I knew much about Buddhism I'd naturally automatically think of a place, which is my one word: "Tibet".

Buddhism is sometimes, in USA at least, so closely tied up with the Dali Lama and that form of Buddhism, that Tibet is always discussed as well. Near where I live, there's a monastery of Buddhist monks from Tibet that was founded in the 1960s and they still live there. Whenever I go to the religious/philosophical section of a book store and look at Buddhist books, most of them are about the Dali Lama. Many times in the media, just the Tibetan monks are shown whenever Buddhism is mentioned, so much of the richness, variety, and complexity of the Dharma is lost.

I also always think of the Monk burning himself back in the early 1960s,even though the protest was regarding Vietnam, not the Tibetan invasion.

Now that I know a little more about Buddhism, my one word is "Dedication".

To practice Buddhism, it seems like a lot of hard work is involved. To really practice, one needs to constantly be training themselves, learning more, opening up. It's so easy to just close down, get into our groove, and never want to get out of it. It takes a lot of strength to stay open, grow, learn, and love.

Anatta:

--- Quote from: LearnedHand on January 07, 2014, 09:42:50 pm ---Before I knew much about Buddhism I'd naturally automatically think of a place, which is my one word: "Tibet".

Buddhism is sometimes, in USA at least, so closely tied up with the Dali Lama and that form of Buddhism, that Tibet is always discussed as well. Near where I live, there's a monastery of Buddhist monks from Tibet that was founded in the 1960s and they still live there. Whenever I go to the religious/philosophical section of a book store and look at Buddhist books, most of them are about the Dali Lama. Many times in the media, just the Tibetan monks are shown whenever Buddhism is mentioned, so much of the richness, variety, and complexity of the Dharma is lost.

I also always think of the Monk burning himself back in the early 1960s,even though the protest was regarding Vietnam, not the Tibetan invasion.

Now that I know a little more about Buddhism, my one word is "Dedication".

To practice Buddhism, it seems like a lot of hard work is involved. To really practice, one needs to constantly be training themselves, learning more, opening up. It's so easy to just close down, get into our groove, and never want to get out of it. It takes a lot of strength to stay open, grow, learn, and love.

--- End quote ---

Kia Ora Henry,

That too is a good descriptive  oneworder, and knowing  what I know(through 'experience') about  meditation and the different levels of consciousness, this monk not only understood sunyata but truly walked the path..."Form is Emptiness-Emptiness is Form !"

Metta Zenda :)

Jenna Stannis:
Overrated

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version