Community Conversation > Transgender talk

Therapy

(1/2) > >>

bbb:
I'm 15 and my parents recently agreed to get me a therapist. Can regular therapists give referrals for hormones and other things and can they deal with gender issues or do I have to see a gender therapist? I can't tell anyone in my family anything about my gender issues, so I guess it's not really possible for me to see a gender therapist...

stephanie_craxford:

--- Quote from: bbb on November 28, 2005, 03:51:54 pm ---I'm 15 and my parents recently agreed to get me a therapist. Can regular therapists give referrals for hormones and other things and can they deal with gender issues or do I have to see a gender therapist? I can't tell anyone in my family anything about my gender issues, so I guess it's not really possible for me to see a gender therapist...

--- End quote ---

As Melissa said being able to give referrals for hormones depends on their credentials.  However, remember that the primary task of therapy, is therapy  to attempt to resolve the issues that you are experiencing.  To be honest I think that HRT is a little down the road for you.  As you are 15 I'm not sure how you medical system would treat you as you are not considered an adult in their eyes, so your parents will by necessity become involved.

See the therapist.  Go in with an open mind, no preconceived ideas, and go from there.  Se where you stand.

Steph

beth:
          If the therapist is not gender experienced and refers you to one who is, just ask that they don't tell your parents why you were refered to someone else. It is common to be refered to someone who fits your needs.

beth

bbb:

--- Quote ---To be honest I think that HRT is a little down the road for you.  As you are 15 I'm not sure how you medical system would treat you as you are not considered an adult in their eyes, so your parents will by necessity become involved.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I know that. I just want therapy now to deal with my horrible depression and anxiety. But I also want the referrals so I can start my transition as soon as I graduate. I thought maybe I'd just start with one therapist and have him until then.

Thanks everyone for their help.

KelliTGirl:
BBB,

I wanted to welcome you and wish you lots of luck on your journey. I applaud your young start on the journey.

:-)

Have a great day!

--Kelli

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version