General Discussions > Education

Getting disgusted with college

(1/3) > >>

Gene24:
I went back to ASU this semester after being away for few years. I've been bouncing around from school, technical training, and work but this semester has been very frustrating.

- It's expensive and my military experience and transfer credits would not have counted for my desired field
- I'm not really learning much at all. I go to class and take lots of notes every day.
- I put in a solid effort and don't even get passing grades half of the time
- I went from leading some of my classes in Community College and Technical schools to failing and feeling miserable
- It bothers me that I put in the effort while other people party all day and do make the grade
- The student healthcare plan doesn't have anything for transsexuals
- I feel that I will have to pack up and move again if by some mixed blessing of a miracle that I'm accepted somewhere else

Lauren5:
I'm in a similar predicament too. I find class boring and I'm unable to take notes or study, and while I feel I have a firm grasp on the subject, I should just be able to go in, take the test, pass it, and chill out, like I did in high school. The thing is, the tests are no harder, but I don't do as well on them. I don't know how my roommate can be such a party girl (and she's only mildly a party girl by MSU standards) and while the only college party I've ever been I was invited to by my dad. I'm in danger of flunking out, and nowhere else accepted me as an undergrad, so I highly, highly doubt they'll accept me as a transfer or after flunking.

I feel ya, girl. I have a plan but it's shaky at best, and involves a critical loophole I need to cross that could easily be declined. I could tell you a bit about it, if you're interested.
It happens to involve the aviation field, which I know is something we're both into.

Kaelin:
Have you approached your instructors concerning difficulty in your classes?  If you take the initiative and ask them (or an advisor) for guidance, most of them should be interested in helping (if not providing direct help, then at least directing you to where you can what you need).  If that's not getting the job done, go up the hierarchy.

If you have tried this, I offer my sympathies.  Just because colleges and universities have a structure in place doesn't mean it'll work effectively for every well-intentioned student -- we sometimes assume that a plan is just as good as an outcome, and those plans tend to crash and burn when put to the test (especially when "unforeseen" factors like personnel/funding limitations come into play).

Gene24:

--- Quote from: Lauren5 on March 24, 2014, 03:48:48 pm ---I'm in a similar predicament too. I find class boring and I'm unable to take notes or study, and while I feel I have a firm grasp on the subject, I should just be able to go in, take the test, pass it, and chill out, like I did in high school. The thing is, the tests are no harder, but I don't do as well on them. I don't know how my roommate can be such a party girl (and she's only mildly a party girl by MSU standards) and while the only college party I've ever been I was invited to by my dad. I'm in danger of flunking out, and nowhere else accepted me as an undergrad, so I highly, highly doubt they'll accept me as a transfer or after flunking.

I feel ya, girl. I have a plan but it's shaky at best, and involves a critical loophole I need to cross that could easily be declined. I could tell you a bit about it, if you're interested.
It happens to involve the aviation field, which I know is something we're both into.

--- End quote ---

I'm very interested, can you message me?

Gene24:

--- Quote from: Kaelin on March 24, 2014, 04:58:18 pm ---Have you approached your instructors concerning difficulty in your classes?  If you take the initiative and ask them (or an advisor) for guidance, most of them should be interested in helping (if not providing direct help, then at least directing you to where you can what you need).  If that's not getting the job done, go up the hierarchy.

If you have tried this, I offer my sympathies.  Just because colleges and universities have a structure in place doesn't mean it'll work effectively for every well-intentioned student -- we sometimes assume that a plan is just as good as an outcome, and those plans tend to crash and burn when put to the test (especially when "unforeseen" factors like personnel/funding limitations come into play).

--- End quote ---

I haven't really done that much because whenever I do it really doesn't help. One of the instructors I have covers her butt thoroughly and pretty much insists any problem that a student has is on them. She also encourages asking for help, only to tell you to get back and read her instructions when you do. I'm debating on transferring and switching my major.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version