General Discussions > Education

Getting disgusted with college

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hikari:

--- Quote from: Jean24 on March 24, 2014, 03:01:22 pm ---- I'm not really learning much at all. I go to class and take lots of notes every day.

--- End quote ---

This was absolutely my frustration with college. I ended up dropping out because no matter what assignments or lectures we got, it was nothing I didn't know or couldn't just look up. The worst was teachers who refused facts because the book didn't mention them (specifically they told me I was simply wrong and that Darwin, Mach, and none of the open source parts of Mac OSX existed because our textbook listed them as "Closed Source", no matter how much I could show the teacher straight from information at Apple, he refused to accept it at all. The book is more important than reality, apparently).

I might go back at it, but all it will be is a piece of paper, inaccurate and incomplete information abounds it seems. Just how can I pay all of this money and not even get something more than I could with a few hours on Google. I was at University of Phoenix BTW.

Kaelin:
I can't say much about University of Phoenix other than it is an *expensive* way to get an education.  If you aren't getting much value on that, you need to attend somewhere else.  If a public college/university can meet your needs, I recommend going that route, since it'll probably cost you less.

--- Quote ---One of the instructors I have covers her butt thoroughly and pretty much insists any problem that a student has is on them. She also encourages asking for help, only to tell you to get back and read her instructions when you do.
--- End quote ---

It sounds like they're doing it wrong.  Granted, pointing you to fulfill your end of the bargain (doing the required reading) is not unreasonable if you have not tried it already, but if the student's done/tried what they're supposed to and the desired outcome hasn't been achieved, we should investigate why.  If you can talk to someone higher in the department, that may help, but there's no guarantee.  If they're not responding, then yeah, you may not have much choice but to transfer.  But then, you also need to look where you can transfer and expect a better outcome.

As for whether you change your major, I think you should evaluate that separately, and you need to evaluate whether there is a certain major that makes you for you to transfer to.  You're giving up a little ground by changing course, so you need to have a decent reason to believe the new one would be better for you (better understanding of the material, greater enjoyment of the subject matter, better job prospects, etc) besides "the current major sucks."

Quarky:
I feel the same about studying, but I guess that I will have to keep going if I ever want to get anywhere in this world.

Gene24:

--- Quote from: Hikari on March 24, 2014, 07:29:29 pm ---This was absolutely my frustration with college. I ended up dropping out because no matter what assignments or lectures we got, it was nothing I didn't know or couldn't just look up. The worst was teachers who refused facts because the book didn't mention them (specifically they told me I was simply wrong and that Darwin, Mach, and none of the open source parts of Mac OSX existed because our textbook listed them as "Closed Source", no matter how much I could show the teacher straight from information at Apple, he refused to accept it at all. The book is more important than reality, apparently).

I might go back at it, but all it will be is a piece of paper, inaccurate and incomplete information abounds it seems. Just how can I pay all of this money and not even get something more than I could with a few hours on Google. I was at University of Phoenix BTW.

--- End quote ---

That has to be frustrating. I have never experienced anything like that but everyone had a problem in HS with my math teacher's text book and she never looked at you the same if you told her about it lol. Rather than immersing you in a single problem till you knew it like the back of your hand, it would introduce you to a new concept every day and ask you 2 questions about it. Then there would be 2 questions about the new concept you had learned the day before, and 2 more about the new concept the day before that. It was all over the place.

rbeccacross:
I hear what you are all saying and I might have a simple solution. 

I started out a community college and then after 2 years transferred up to a world renowned university.  Guess where I am now in my 4th year?  Back at the community College.  Smaller in my books is better.  At the University I had my papers marked by grad students and it was basically read the textbook and memorize it.  Last time I checked, the textbook is not always 100% correct. 

Class sizes at Universities tend to be huge.  I am back at the smaller school and I have 35 people max in a class taught by a PHD prof who actually cares if I do well or not. 

Find a school or university where teaching comes first and student research comes second. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version