Site News and Information > Site Policies and stuff to remember

No animated GIF or moving/blinking avatars or sigs please

(1/6) > >>

Nero:
Sorry, I know some people like them. But they are very distracting to those who don't. So nothing animated in your profile please. It shouldn't blink or move at all. Also please keep your signature field small. It should be just that - a signature, and not the star of your posts.

If you would like to share a cool GIF or animation, you may post it here. No nudity or inappropriate ones however.

This helps keep the forums pleasant for everyone.

Dianne:
 FA. Wouldn't it make more sense, for the person that doesn't like the avatar or signature to simply skip the post. I have skipped over thousands of posts since coming to Susan's. There are lot of misguided folks here. I simply ignore 98 percent of what they post.
I rarely post. Not articulate enough.

Jill F:
Sorry, I'm with FA here. (OK, people, you can officially hate me now for being a complete buzzkill!)

I have ADD that I don't normally medicate and I find them distracting (SQUIRREL!).  You can't exactly ignore what you have to scroll through.

It's funny, I just pulled my "balls out" ticker for the same aesthetic that FA described.  It was just a big fat WGASA moment.

Nero:

--- Quote from: Dianne on June 21, 2014, 09:57:21 am --- FA. Wouldn't it make more sense, for the person that doesn't like the avatar or signature to simply skip the post. I have skipped over thousands of posts since coming to Susan's. There are lot of misguided folks here. I simply ignore 98 percent of what they post.
I rarely post. Not articulate enough.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, in theory one could just skip those posts.

--- Quote from: Jill F on June 21, 2014, 12:25:04 pm ---You can't exactly ignore what you have to scroll through.

--- End quote ---

Yep, by the time you notice the blinking thing and/or the poster it belongs to in order to skip it - the distraction has already happened. To me, it's like trying to read text on a website with constantly moving ads on the side. Now, one blinking thing a thread may not be as bad as that. But it still distracts from a smooth reading of the thread.

Also, our mods don't have the option of just ignoring every animated user or thread.

Anyhow, I realize some people enjoy these. So you could have a static image on your profile and share the animated stuff in a separate thread. I mean, people don't need to see it everytime you say something. Hopefully that's a good compromise.

Monkeymel:
On another forum (also on tapatalk) there is an option in my profile to ignore signatures. It made life so much easier. If I want to know more ill about a topic I'll PM someone.

Problem with anything annimated is that it can become a competition which us buzzkills ignore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version