General Discussions > Gender Studies

Should someone be allowed SRS who is not planning to present as a female?

<< < (3/29) > >>

Jessica Merriman:
I don't care either way. My only issue is they should have to perform some type of RLE just as I have to. I am having to earn mine and that is all I ask of anyone. It is a slippery slope though. If we allow just anyone to get SRS and the regret statistic soar we will all have problems by providers making even harder than it is to get SRS. Mental health certification should be performed just like with me. :)

Miss_Bungle1991:

--- Quote from: Jill F on September 22, 2014, 01:53:41 pm ---I personally think you should be able to modify your body any way you see fit.   It's your body, your business.

Sign a waiver that says you can't sue if you have regrets.   You can tattoo your face, pierce your junk or do any of a number of radical body modifications without a letter from a shrink, so why not SRS?

Just my opinion.

--- End quote ---

This is the way I see it. I had to do this for my orchi. I told the surgeon that: "Don't worry. You won't be sued. I have no regrets. It's cool." But that was after I stopped laughing after being asked: "Are you sure that you want to do this?" five times in a row. The way I see it: You are an adult, you sign some papers saying that you waive the right to sue later on and that's it. I think the entire idea of a Real Life Test is dumb as hell. If you are so stupid that you don't fully understand the ramifications of what you are doing, that is YOUR problem and not the doctor. I was lucky to have a therapist that felt the same way. But he was also smart enough to not just rubber stamp a letter for HRT after 90 days. It's YOUR responsibility for what happens and no one else.

Missy~rmdlm:
Sure, I personally know an individual who has done that. However the long term effect of HT and so on will probably cause male fail. That's their issue to consider.

It's always my recommendation to do as little as possible towards transition, one transitions because they have to, nothing more. In the event SRS only is right for an individual, go for it.

TerriT:
I just read a story about a woman who had a 3rd boob (Total Recall style) installed for reasons of her own. I've also read stories about people who wanted other body parts, legs, an arm, whatever, amputated. I'd guess you can pretty much find a surgeon somewhere to do whatever you want, usually at great risk to your health. I know places where you can find a piercer who will bifurcate your junk if that's what you're into. Sounds like fun.

I don't think any of it is wise but I don't care what you do to yourself. I'll leave my SRS up to me, my surgeon and their requirements.

Zumbagirl:
No. It will only take a handful of regretters and one  sinister right winger and we are back to square one again. Besides what is a surgeon to do? Are we going to let surgeons decide who gets the surgery or not? I would be willing to guess that they are not going to come down on this side at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version