Author Topic: How Do I Appear More Masculine?  (Read 1681 times)

Deltaforce

How Do I Appear More Masculine?
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:02:19 pm »
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, I'm sorry if I've gotten it wrong...

Okay, my problem is with appearing like the gender I am. I am trigender, and I do not plan to transition to appear male or like a third gender, but at the same time, I dont know how to make myself look masculine enough to pass for male. I am a female biologically, and I still want to keep my feminine traits, such as my long hair, but at the same time, I dont know how I can do that and appear nearly 100% male at the same time. Do you guys have any tips for this problem, that can help me? Anything will be appreciated.

Offline FTMax

Re: How Do I Appear More Masculine?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 03:05:51 pm »
I guess I'm a little confused as to what your goal is. You say you do not plan to transition to appear male, but you want to pass as male. Can you think of anyone in particular that you'd want to look like or resemble?
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com

Deltaforce

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 03:11:17 pm »
Well, not transition down there or chest-wise, but just make my appearance male...like look manly, without the actual physical parts. For looking like any specific person...I guess, just an average guy, albeit a weaker one, since I don't really have any kind of strength at the moment. I sort of just want to be able to pass without actually being physically male. (I'm sorry I couldn't answer the question better, if you need more explanations, I can try to give some more.)

Offline Ms Grace

• Gendernaut
  • Family
  • Going boldly where no cis person has gone before!
    • Magellan
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 03:31:49 pm »
Guess it depends on what kind of man you want to look like. Masculinity isn't confined to any particular look these days. There are certain "standards" that are considered more masculine though. Short hair in a male style. Male clothes in a fit that covers your curves as much as possible and male shoes. Don't know if you want to go as far as binding your breasts but that will certainly reduce curves, wearing a packer in your pants will give you a "bulge" downstairs.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D

Offline FTMax

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »
In that case, I would agree with everything Ms. Grace lists. Cut your hair short in a typical male style. Choose male clothing items that hide any curves you have. Binding and packing will help. Just doing these things helps me pass as male the majority of the time. My voice gives me away occasionally, but HRT should fix that. It would be something to think about for you though, as that could affect your safety if you're being outwardly perceived as male but have a very feminine voice.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com

Offline Edge

• Super Villain
  • Family
  • Chest Fixing Fund: $1700
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 05:10:45 pm »
You don't need to cut your hair to look masculine. I've found it helps a lot to straighten it. Take a look at pictures of guys with long hair to get an idea of what kind of look you want to go for.
I was told that button up shirts hide one's shape better, but I've found that it depends on the shirt. What's more important is if it fits well. Same with pants.
Binding helps hide the chest, but if you do bind, make sure you get a proper binder. I've heard that sports bras can also work. I think I heard of layering two that are a bit small?

Offline Contravene

• Family
  • Dissolving all of this in the full metamorphosis.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 07:25:31 pm »
I have no idea what you look like now or how masculine you would like to look but the best way to get a more male body shape is to lower your body fat percentage then build muscle in your upper body. Lowering your body fat will help get rid of or at least mask the feminine fat distribution around your hips and building muscle in your upper body will give you a wide-shouldered body shape to help offset your hips. Focus on building up your lats, arms, traps and shoulders but don't forget about your neck. Having a thicker neck will help a lot with gaining a more masculine appearance.

Offline Gothic Dandy

• Friend
  • Transmasculine and FAABulous
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 02:58:38 pm »
I think I know what you mean because I'm similar. You are trigender and want the ability to pass as each gender when the mood strikes, is that right? Or close? Or way off?

Men with long hair tend to tie it low, at the neck, when it's in a ponytail. You can use a little stage makeup to make your face appear more angular and hollow, using tutorials online. I say stage makeup, because most daily makeup for women has a glittery shimmer added to it. There is makeup for men, but it's hard to find and expensive. Besides that, it will help if you learn masculine mannerisms and speech patterns, and use those when you want to pass as male.

Just a little faerie punk floating through this strange world of humans.

Offline PucksWaywardSon

• The closet is kinda open.
  • Friend
  • Put on a Loki shirt and deal with it.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 03:21:52 pm »
I've been layering sportsbras for a while, it's a good place to start for sure. Have just ordered a real binder though, as I found the longer I went trying to masculanise my look the more dysphoric I got about my top.
Identifying As: Gamer Nerd, Aspiring actor, Wanderer, Shakespeare junkie. Transguy. time I lost the probably there... Hi, I'm Jamie.

Offline pianoforte

• Friend
  • It's past my naptime
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 10:42:16 am »
I would second the comment about stage makeup. There are also ways to create the appearance of stubble, sideburns, etc. I also like to use mascara on my eyebrows, just a single stroke up in the middle, to make them look thicker and wilder.

There is a guide on one of those how-to websites (I think ehow.com?) that I think is pretty well-written called How to Pass as Male. I have posted it before at some point.

Binding and packing are good, and practicing with your voice to do fewer feminine inflections. It can be damaging to you're voice to try to lower it/sound more masculine, so be careful which methods you use if you want to do that. And if you start to get a sore throat, it might be tone to stop and give your voice a rest.

Jess42

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 11:28:32 am »
Long hair on guys isn't going to kill you. The way you wear it though. Make it look like you don't care. A low ponytail if you don't have bangs. If you do have bangs then a low pony will kinda' take you in the opposite direction. Let your brows grow, just avoid the unibrow thing. Also dress like you don't care. Most guys don't wear "outfits", they just wear a shirt and pants and most of the time not matching. Jeans and T shirts goes a long way. Don't tuck the shirt whether button down or T shirt though. I guess it all depends though what look you are trying to accomplish but most guys I know don't put a whole lot of thought into clothes.

Offline evan114

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 03:37:36 pm »
Jeans and T shirts goes a long way. Don't tuck the shirt whether button down or T shirt though.

Really? I like to tuck my shirt in, if it's a button-down. I think it makes me look more masculine since you never really see women with tucked-in dress shirts.

Jess42

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 03:57:05 pm »
Really? I like to tuck my shirt in, if it's a button-down. I think it makes me look more masculine since you never really see women with tucked-in dress shirts.

Usually a button down shirt over a tshirt. But no even button downs. If I have to be a guy (UGHGGH, no offense to our brothers) I dont tuck but the situation, you and your body type and so on is gonna' have to dictate that. Oh yeah a nice blouse with some skinny jeans or women's flaired or bell bottoms, no you don't tuck. Guy shirts with a long tail and so on that are meant to be tucked... But your body type will dicatate that. If I have to be full on guy, I go as slobbishly as I can. Whatever function. In femme mode in places "they don't know my name" or clubs or functions away from home and femme, dressed to the nines.

The whole thing evan (I love guys trans cis or cis women confused that are more manly than me) is that guys don't seem to care as much about clothing. There is a different between a tux and casual. There is a difference between different shirts, but if I gotta fake, I don't tuck. 1. as a guy I am a slob. 2. If I tuck, two "little darlings" stick out too much. I got enough cleavage for a bra, with a "T" and no bra I have to pay attention to posture, if I stand straight they stick out a little too much. So no tucking I can be a "little overwieght" with no questions asked. Thank god the nips are not really big because it seems they are hard all the time. If I am femme no problem because the bra takes care of that but trying to be male, forget it. it looks like I'm cold all the time.

Check out Tesla and the singer. He wears a dress shirt most of the time untucked.

Offline pianoforte

• Friend
  • It's past my naptime
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 07:38:43 pm »
I like to tuck in my button-up shirts and then cover up the obvious waistline with a sweater-vest that is relatively loose and long.

Offline PucksWaywardSon

• The closet is kinda open.
  • Friend
  • Put on a Loki shirt and deal with it.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 05:27:23 am »
suspect the tucked-shirt thing may have something to do with age as well though - if you're going for a teenage look then sure - but new binder arrived and the first thing I did was discover I can tuck in my t-shirt and look good (in a way I really can't without a flatter chest) - more put-together. I think I look more like I don't care in girl-mode than I do in guy-mode, probably because I have no interest in making my girl-self look good. It's interesting that the psychology works the other way too.
Identifying As: Gamer Nerd, Aspiring actor, Wanderer, Shakespeare junkie. Transguy. time I lost the probably there... Hi, I'm Jamie.

Offline MugwortPsychonaut

• Family
  • That's no ollie 5-0, that's a frontside slappy!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 10:21:54 am »
If I have to be a guy (UGHGGH, no offense to our brothers) I dont tuck

Well of course you don't. ;)

Offline KarynMcD

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 11:58:04 am »

LOL!!!!
That was good.

Jess42

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 09:42:19 am »

Wow, you got me on that one. :embarrassed: Kind of funny but maybe a little tiny Freudian Slip. ;)

Offline Christine Eryn

• Family
  • FFS phase 2 completed XI-XVIII-XV
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 10:45:38 am »
Walk with a swagger. In my denial years, I tried to appear overly macho and had an air of arrogance.
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III

Deltaforce

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 05:34:41 pm »
I think I know what you mean because I'm similar. You are trigender and want the ability to pass as each gender when the mood strikes, is that right? Or close? Or way off?

Men with long hair tend to tie it low, at the neck, when it's in a ponytail. You can use a little stage makeup to make your face appear more angular and hollow, using tutorials online. I say stage makeup, because most daily makeup for women has a glittery shimmer added to it. There is makeup for men, but it's hard to find and expensive. Besides that, it will help if you learn masculine mannerisms and speech patterns, and use those when you want to pass as male.

Yes, pretty much. I don't want it too masculine to the point that people will automatically assume I'm a male, but I do want it close enough so that I look at the very leas ambiguous (so in case a sudden case of femininity hits, I can adapt and at least look like a woman.)

And by the way, thank you for the rest of your comments, you guys! They've really helped.