Community Conversation > Youth talk

What if I'm actually cis?

<< < (2/2)

perrystephens:

--- Quote from: Cindy on November 29, 2014, 01:19:57 am ---It is extremely common to be gender fluid during your teens. This is one reason that medical providers use reversible puberty blockers in teens so that there are no permanent changes until the gender orientation settles down.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in keeping questioning, thinking and discussing the issue. BTW do you have a therapist you can talk to?

--- End quote ---

I don't have a therapist at the moment. My parents are kind of in denial that i have any reason to need a therapist. I have other issues than my gender identity, but especially with our financial situation, we all just pretend there's nothing wrong and I don't try too hard to talk about it because I know we can't afford therapy anyway. :/

--- Quote from: JustASeq on November 29, 2014, 01:27:23 am ---So yeah, cisphobic is not a thing. It's like saying heterophobic or reverse racism. Cis people face no type of oppression for being cis. Also... totally nothing wrong with being gender fluid and if you realize that one of the binaries that you talk about moving between fits, that's great. If you realize that you are non-binary, also great. And if you realize that you are non-gender that also works. You are you, forget what anyone else has to say about your gender expression or identity. That's how I found myself :) Along with the help of my therapist.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. I didn't mean cisphobia in the form of oppression, but maybe the possibility that some of my friends would like me a little less or stop talking to me. I don't think that would happen but the idea still scares me. I didn't mean for it to come off as though I'm talking about oppression.

Cindy:
Do you have a school counsellor you can talk to?

Don't worry about terminology, it can be very confusing and the youth section is here so we can talk freely about stuff without getting bogged down.

perrystephens:

--- Quote from: Cindy on November 29, 2014, 02:11:39 am ---Do you have a school counsellor you can talk to?

--- End quote ---

I go to school online so no counselor either, I don't think.

Cindy:

--- Quote from: perrystephens on November 29, 2014, 02:18:47 am ---
--- Quote from: Cindy on November 29, 2014, 02:11:39 am ---Do you have a school counsellor you can talk to?

--- End quote ---

I go to school online so no counselor either, I don't think.

--- End quote ---

Might be worth asking?

adrian:
Perry, first of all -- if you are gender fluid you're not cis.
Second, when it comes to "cisphobia" (if that's what want to call it). For me this takes the form of a certain reluctance or tiredness to deal with people I'd describe as "cissexist". People who question my experience, people who don't "get it", who take a biologist stance towards gender, etc.

But even if you ended up identifying as cis, you would still have a much better understanding of how it feels to question your gender (and have it questioned by others). And you most certainly wouldn't fall into the cissexism trap because of your experience! So as you said -- you would still be able to offer valuable support to folks in a similar situation. Why wouldn't you not be welcome in the community :).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version