General Discussions > Science

Environmental concerns

(1/4) > >>

Devlyn:
Conservation, pollution, resources, etc. Discuss.

Eevee:
Since you opened this up due to my response about fracking, I should throw something in here about that. Most people aren't aware about the dangers of it, or how extensive it has become, since the gas companies are covering everything up and paying people off. A weird, but wonderful, guy named Josh Fox made a couple documentaries called "Gasland" to help expose this. The first video is available for free on Youtube. Watch it if you have time. I think you'll have to go through HBO for the second one, but you get enough of the picture from the first video anyway.

Eevee:

--- Quote from: Hanazono on December 04, 2014, 10:58:13 pm ---if we made lots of solar panels they'd actually get cheap enough to put everywhere . imagine all the free power we could get  !

--- End quote ---
We actually do have enough access to solar and wind to power the world several times over if we only used it. The people currently making money from today's energy sources will lose it all, though.

HughE:

--- Quote from: Eevee on December 04, 2014, 09:14:38 pm ---Since you opened this up due to my response about fracking, I should throw something in here about that. Most people aren't aware about the dangers of it, or how extensive it has become, since the gas companies are covering everything up and paying people off. A weird, but wonderful, guy named Josh Fox made a couple documentaries called "Gasland" to help expose this.

--- End quote ---

I should point out that at least one of those antifracking movies was funded by the UAE. No doubt the Arab oil nations would be delighted if the US shut down its oil and gas production, but do you really think it's in the best interests of your country and its people to do that?

Eevee:

--- Quote from: HughE on December 05, 2014, 09:12:59 am ---I should point out that at least one of those antifracking movies was funded by the UAE. No doubt the Arab oil nations would be delighted if the US shut down its oil and gas production, but do you really think it's in the best interests of your country and its people to do that?

--- End quote ---
I haven't seen anything like that about the gasland videos. I do know that the pro-fracking response videos are heavily funded by the gas companies, though. Interests aside, this documentary shows real people with their unfiltered issues. These people who are interviewed aren't gaining anything from corporate angles. They actually have a lot to lose for speaking up at all. I'll take the side of people in need over corrupt corporations any day. I understand why gas is important, but it doesn't matter if we sacrifice our country, its people, and our ecosystems just to get that. I don't want to live in a cancerous wasteland. There are energy solutions we can take that are much safer and don't benefit either our gas corporations or those from other countries.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version