General Discussions > Hair Care

First ever salon trip...did not go well

<< < (2/5) > >>

AnneK:

--- Quote ---Sometimes you get a person who won't listen and just do whatever they think will look good on you without asking.
--- End quote ---

Some of them consider themselves to be "artists" and how dare you tell them what you want!   :o

I've been having the same two women cutting my hair for almost a quarter century.  I have been to some of those salons where the people working there are so full of themselves I want to puke.

Lyric:
I'm a genetic male who has worn long hair most of time for several decades. Here's some knowledge dispensing. Salon haircutters make their livings cutting hair and creating styles that require regular maintenance. Cutting hair shorter is in their best interest and they typically develop a mindset that rationalizes this. My best advice is to avoid these people as much as possible. If you must use a stylist, shop around carefully for someone who you can talk to and feel will cut your hair the way you want it.

Any good stylist knows how to trim hair lightly for someone who is growing their hair out. This is easy when hair is 6-7 inches long or more, but when your hair is still fairly short it's going through the so-called "awkward stage" before the growth direction changes to a downward angle. There's pretty much no good haircut for this stage. About the best you can do are things like slick it down with product or wear hats, headbands or gadgets. Oh, and avoid haircutters!

Just stick it out until you have some length. Ask around about decent stylists, but avoid them as much as possible. In spite of what some may say, there's usually no need to cut ends more often than once every 2-3 months-- and even then 1/8 inch will often do. You can actually do this yourself if you wear a simpler cut. I've cut mine many times.

Ellie_Arroway:
Reminds me of that old Harp advert.

"Just a trim, please."
"You could have a Lionel Blair cut, like mine!"
"Lionel Blair doesn't have is hair cut the way yours is."
"He does if he comes here." Click. Buzz...
Queue human-shaped hole in wall! (Well, that wasn't in the ad, but you get the picture.)

At least you have hair... Technically I could grow my hair out, but my bald spot is about the size of the moon.

Pammie:

--- Quote from: Ellie_Arroway on January 01, 2020, 01:37:30 pm ---Reminds me of that old Harp advert.

"Just a trim, please."
"You could have a Lionel Blair cut, like mine!"
"Lionel Blair doesn't have is hair cut the way yours is."
"He does if he comes here." Click. Buzz...
Queue human-shaped hole in wall! (Well, that wasn't in the ad, but you get the picture.)

At least you have hair... Technically I could grow my hair out, but my bald spot is about the size of the moon.

--- End quote ---
My hairdresser was the second person I came out too and she is wonderful. This was way before full time transition. She came up with a plan for how i could have my hair and we started from that day to work on that - she’s wonderful and i’m dead happy how it’s going
I’d never dream of going anywhere else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellie_Arroway:

--- Quote from: Pammie on January 01, 2020, 02:05:41 pm ---My hairdresser was the second person I came out too and she is wonderful. This was way before full time transition. She came up with a plan for how i could have my hair and we started from that day to work on that - she’s wonderful and i’m dead happy how it’s going
I’d never dream of going anywhere else!

--- End quote ---

Pammie, you're not saying she could help someone with only a horseshoe of hair left, I'm assuming? I haven't published how I used to look here but Patrick Stewart is all you have to imagine really...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version