Author Topic: Transgender Idol  (Read 7937 times)

Online sarahc

• Sarah
Re: Transgender Idol
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2021, 03:48:39 pm »
As a transgender woman professional, my role models have tended to be not the flashy celebrities but the ones who achieve career success. Lynn Conway has to my role model. I'm sure that many of you are familiar with Lynn, but what she has achieved professionally as an electronic design researcher is simply amazing. Lynn has also hosted a very well known website highlighting other successful transgender people for many years - again, I'm sure many of you know that already.

And thank goodness, she's finally getting the recognition that she is due as a successful trans woman. In fact, IBM, which fired her over half a century ago because of her decision to transition, offered a formal apology and recently hosted her for an event.

Definitely read this article which highlights her life and career.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyalicandri/2020/11/18/ibm-apologizes-for-firing-computer-pioneer/?sh=1b911db167d5

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Pammie

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2021, 03:53:42 pm »
THIS.

Yes, several celebrity MTFs and FTM's are wonderful representatives and role models, but it's the women here who inspire me.

Laura
I was thinking the same Laura! Quite right and i’m so happy to have found this site x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jane.Shannon

• Friend
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2021, 10:22:12 pm »
I have to agree with the everyone who is mentioning Lynn Conway.  An amazing person by any measure.
July 2020: Full Time
Aug 2019: Started HRT
Dec 2019: Hair Feminization Surgery

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2021, 06:54:49 am »
It is nice to see Lynn Conway getting a lot of love on here.. one of my idols too..
but for me, Sophie Wilson, designer of the processor within nearly every phone on the planet is an unsung heroine who goes without mention a lot... She truly is one of my hero's and inspirations...
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 03:56:35 am »
As far as more publicly visible figures go -

I still remember the tragedy Calpernia Addams endured when Barry Winchell lost his life. 
Her sharing her experiences after the court cases really helped to gain visibility on how the human experience doesn't fall within strict 'binary limits.' I'll always have admiring and condoling thoughts for her.

But otherwise, as others have said, it's everyone here.  We've all made it this far, and that's absolutely inspiring.
So, thank you! :)

V/R,
Vivian (TSL_NB)

It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Offline Jo35

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2021, 09:28:43 pm »
You all in this Forum, you are amazing. A few other Names which come to my mind Charlie Martin Mathilda Hogberg and the black haired Voice Coach for their Videos about Transitioning on Youtube and Julia Serrano and Nathalie Wynn for their Videos and texts on feminist issues.

Offline LuckyGal

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2021, 01:28:59 pm »
I really have a lot of respect for Jennifer Finney Boylan.  I loved her book "She's Not There."  It was the first transgender transition story I read, and it is probably the best written.  I never hated my maleness, so I didn't understand how I could be transgender.  Her relating her story that was similar was eye opening.  I also loved how she transitioned with kids only a few years younger than mine.  She totally rocks being a scholar, an activist, a wife, and a mother.

I just finished reading her book, my godness what an inspiring human being she is!! I loved the humor with which she dealt her transition that is so prevalent throught the book. I also remember seeing her on Oprah, and being impressed by her calm demeanor. Everyone should read her book.

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2021, 01:39:27 pm »
I'll be honest, my idols are every man, woman, and non-binary person who takes those first faltering steps to be themselves. You all show the kind of courage that is rarely seen in this world. Being inspirational doesn't require writing a book, or being on a TV show, or putting yourself out there as some kind of beacon.

Every single one of you who ever comes here questioning yourself, and thinks about taking those first faltering steps to becoming who you are... you are the heroic people. You are taking steps that... well, down the road you learn to deal with, maybe even capitalise on. At the start... it's terrifying. It feels world-shattering. YOU are my idols. You show the courage that drives other people onward, whether you know it or not. And you should be proud of yourselves. Because I am proud, and honoured to have met so many of you.

For all of you still thinking about all of this... look around here. Look at the courage of the everyday people here. And take away from that the biggest thing of all... being who you are is not impossible. You can be that person, too. :)

Tags: