General Discussions > Other

what if all religions were real

(1/5) > >>

zoechantel:
what if all religions were real and jehova and allah were the same person and the hindu gods were just facets of their personality and all gods were just part of a superior figure and religions were just different takes on this being. I was thinking about religion I while ago and I thought about this

fennec-fox:
The problem with that is that different religions do disagree quite a bit. The Bible forbids creating and worshiping idols, which is practiced in some religions, particularly polytheistic ones. Different religions have different interpretations of the afterlife. So, for instance, Christianity and Hinduism can't both be true because it would be logically impossible for someone to go to either Heaven or hell for the rest of eternity after they die AND be reincarnated every time they die. Some religions don't even have any gods/deities. Buddhists, for example, don't believe in any deities but instead believe that the universe as a whole is alive and interconnected. It doesn't make logical sense to assume that a religion that states that a certain god(s) must be worshiped and a pantheistic deity-less religion can both be true.

sam1234:
Your question depends on which way you view it. There could be one superior being that is worshiped in hundreds of ways, each defined by the group, what they choose to call their religion and how they choose to define God.

If you take the question strictly as each religion being completely isolated from the others, with no connections, then I don't think it would work. Since So many religions believe that if a person does not subscribe to their religion they go to hell or just die or are reincarnated, then each contradicts the other and all are wrong.

Part of religion is believing in something that is neither tangible nor can it be proved scientifically. It relies on faith that what the believer holds as their religion is true, regardless of what other religions say. It is an interesting question, but one I don't think we are meant to be able to prove as we are, alive on this earth.

sam1234

Lady Smith:
That's a good point actually zoechantel; - and by the way Jehovah and Allah are different names for the same deity which is something a lot of folk don't realise.  Syriac versions of the Bible written in Arabic use the word 'Allah' for G*d.
Meditative and contemplative spiritually aware people have been aware for a very long time that there are crossovers and similarities between the major religions of the world.  Historically this made things difficult and dangerous for many Christian contemplatives who had to be very careful in their writings so as to not attract the attention of the Inquisition.
I've been in the situation of being stared at in disbelief by local Catholics when I stop to chat to Krishna Consciousness monks on the street.  The simple reason is there is far more that we have in common as people of faith than there are differences that divide us.  As a social worker I was very privileged to work with Muslim refugees and I learned so much about loving faith in G*d from them.

awilliams1701:
What if hell is life as a cockroach and heaven is life as a dog or something pleasant.

--- Quote from: fennec-fox on April 30, 2015, 11:18:16 pm ---The problem with that is that different religions do disagree quite a bit. The Bible forbids creating and worshiping idols, which is practiced in some religions, particularly polytheistic ones. Different religions have different interpretations of the afterlife. So, for instance, Christianity and Hinduism can't both be true because it would be logically impossible for someone to go to either Heaven or hell for the rest of eternity after they die AND be reincarnated every time they die. Some religions don't even have any gods/deities. Buddhists, for example, don't believe in any deities but instead believe that the universe as a whole is alive and interconnected. It doesn't make logical sense to assume that a religion that states that a certain god(s) must be worshiped and a pantheistic deity-less religion can both be true.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version