General Discussions > Entertainment

Looking for a new laptop.

<< < (3/3)

SarahMarie1987:

--- Quote from: Lady Smith on June 20, 2015, 11:25:44 pm ---My daughter studied computer science and electronics at university and works here from home doing programming and software creation at a fairly esoteric level.  She has always said she wouldn't own a Mac as their walled garden approach to everything is too much of a pain in the butt to work with.  They are expensive too for what they can actually do.

I used an IBM Thinkpad T30 for many years and loved it.  I only retired it because it simply became too old to run modern software at any kind of useful speed anymore.  I have an older HP/Compaq Presario C500 laptop running Windows 7 at present which only really gets used when I go to the library or if I'm writing.  I don't really do anything demanding on it so it does for me at present.
One thing about HP laptops though, some models had poor processor cooling and would slowly cook themselves over time and fail prematurely.  The one I bought for my son when he was doing his law degree did this and was a big disappointment.

My daughter has a Dell laptop that she drags around everywhere with her and it seems to be virtually indestructible.  I've lost count of how many different operating systems she's run on it over the time she's owned it, battery life is good too.  If I was in the market for a new laptop myself I would buy a Dell.  Don't be scared off by Windows 8.1, it works fine, better than the previous versions of Windows truth be told.  And don't let the tablet thing worry you either as there are plenty of laptops on the market and will be for a long time.

--- End quote ---

I like that phrase "Walled garden approach". It pretty much sums up Apple to me.

My mother had the same HP issue. Took us forever to figure out that was what the issue was. I think she did get a refund at some point though.

I've used Dells before and usually have had a good run with them. So we will see what happens with it.

Incidentally, I am curious if anyone would know that if a big box store (Best Buy, Staples, Wal-Mart) vs a local computing store (For example, we have a Chris' Computing Service, a local store 5 min from where I live.) is better or worse. As for customer service, pricing, overall quality, and just store layout.

Laura_7:

--- Quote from: SarahMarie1987 on June 26, 2015, 09:52:11 am ---I like that phrase "Walled garden approach". It pretty much sums up Apple to me.

My mother had the same HP issue. Took us forever to figure out that was what the issue was. I think she did get a refund at some point though.

I've used Dells before and usually have had a good run with them. So we will see what happens with it.

Incidentally, I am curious if anyone would know that if a big box store (Best Buy, Staples, Wal-Mart) vs a local computing store (For example, we have a Chris' Computing Service, a local store 5 min from where I live.) is better or worse. As for customer service, pricing, overall quality, and just store layout.

--- End quote ---
In the big stores you basically buy a cheap package.
Careful, some hardware might be made customized for them. For example a series with downgraded drives etc... look exactly at specs.

Small stores offer customer support, advice, customized products and often further products like software etc.

SarahMarie1987:
Thank you for the information. :-)

I will have to shop around. But I think a smaller place sounds up my alley.

Leesh:
I have an Acer Aspire, don't remember the exact model, but it works fast, has much internal storage, good speakers, and is really able to do all mentioned. It costed me above 1000€, but it was very well worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version