Author Topic: Transitioning in Germany as an American Citizen  (Read 2419 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline AmeliaFae123

  • Visitor
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Reputation: +0/-0
Transitioning in Germany as an American Citizen
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:56:04 pm »
I live in Germany as an American citizen, because my dad works as a military contractor on one of the military bases in Stuttgart, Germany.

I am 18 and Transgender and I want to transition from male to female. I do not know where to begin, though. Does anyone know how I should go about doing this? Do I wait until I move back to America? That will be another year, and I really don't want to wait so long to at least get things started. I tried looking up Germany's laws on the issue and i couldn't find a clear issue. What made it even more confusing was that it said there were some exceptions for non-German citizens. It didn't say what.

My questions are as follows:
1. As an American Citizen living in Germany can I transition (HRT)?
2. As an 18 year old in Germany can I do so with out my parents consent. (They won't let me until I am old enough to do so without them)?
3. As an 18 year old in Germany can I schedule a doctors appointment on my own?
4. My dad is in the marine corps and his civilian job is a military contractor. We have Cigna health insurance. Would I, as his child, get benefits from any of that?
5 Does anyone know what steps one should take to transition as an American citizen living in Germany?

If anyone would be willing to help answer my questions, point me in the right the direction, or anything like that, that would be amazing.

Offline Laura_7

  • *****
  • Posts: 4,685
  • Reputation: +47/-0
Re: Transitioning in Germany as an American Citizen
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »
There should be a lgbt center where you might ask.

Another possibility would be online counselors... they can write letters for hrt.,187135.0.html
With that you might go to a us doctor and get a recipe.
Its possible they are not exactly current on trans issues so you might for example say estro in the female range above 150-200pg/ml and testo in the female range as well... below 50 for example...
patches, gel, injections or implants are considered more liver safe... or sublingual use of micronized bioidentical estro...
with pills, you might think about splitting a daily dose into four small doeses for example instead of two big ones... this might keep levels more steady and might help with mood.