General Discussions > Education

Anybody gone to trade school / community college AFTER a Bachelor's?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lady Smith:
Even though I own an arc welder and a MIG welder it's torch welding and brazing which is my major love.  For bicycle type work brazing is a really good skill to have as it makes for stronger joints without any risk of weakening thinwall tubing just past the weld zone which can happen with Arc or MIG welding.

I know what you mean about watching the weld pool and becoming absorbed in what you're doing. :D

purpleshiny:

--- Quote from: Lady Smith on September 09, 2015, 01:00:12 am ---Even though I own an arc welder and a MIG welder it's torch welding and brazing which is my major love.  For bicycle type work brazing is a really good skill to have as it makes for stronger joints without any risk of weakening thinwall tubing just past the weld zone which can happen with Arc or MIG welding.

I know what you mean about watching the weld pool and becoming absorbed in what you're doing. :D

--- End quote ---

Oh, brazing is a beautiful art.  I've seen it done once at a local bike shop and was tremendously impressed.  Unicycles tend to be more utilitarian and are almost always TIG welded, but obviously there can be a lot of money in small-batch artesian bicycles.  Thankfully my program offers brazing as an elective, and by no surprise I am already committed to it in my head.  Truly elegant work.

Unicycles, on the other hand, can easily be slapped together by sticking some thick steel together.  You generally don't go very fast and crash a lot, so the more durability the better.  :D

Lady Smith:
I'm glad you've made up your mind purpleshiny because I've always believed that if you can work at something you enjoy doing anyway and get paid for it it's win all the way.  You certainly have my support and encouragement whenever you need it so feel free to PM me any time.

purpleshiny:

--- Quote from: Lady Smith on September 09, 2015, 01:12:38 am ---I'm glad you've made up your mind purpleshiny because I've always believed that if you can work at something you enjoy doing anyway and get paid for it it's win all the way.  You certainly have my support and encouragement whenever you need it so feel free to PM me any time.

--- End quote ---

Awwww.  You are seriously awesome, thank you.  ;D

ftmax:
I'm thinking about it currently so that I can expand my job options. I have a Master's in a field that it's very difficult to find work in. They started adding certifications to the field around the time I got my degree, so everyone currently in those positions is holding onto them tight because they can't make any upward or lateral moves. Had I known that before I went into the program, I probably wouldn't have done it.

I'm considering going back for another Master's and PhD. But I don't know how comfortably I could go back to being a poor grad student.

I'm also considering a few different programs at our local community college. I don't dislike my current job, but it's not what I see myself doing in the long term. Considering IT stuff, paralegal stuff, or getting EMT certified. Leaning towards the EMT stuff and doing some volunteering, as that is most closely related to the job experience I have that I actually enjoyed, and both of my degrees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version